Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 01:03 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Those were rather "humblebragging" type faults. Specifically, Meg's faults were: Her stubbornness, her rudeness, her tendency to be unmanageable and headstrong. In the book, she used those in her combat with IT.

As I pointed out earlier, one of the difference between this movie and the book is that this movie reduced the protagonist males to fecklessness.

For instance, Charles Wallace--who was telepathic in the book--was key to locating their father. They could not have located their father in Camazotz without Charles Wallace.

In this movie, Charles Wallace is merely a smarmy brat just along for the ride. He has no real purpose and turns out to cause problems instead of being a help.

In the book, Calvin O'Keefe is Meg's solid and effective back-up. He doesn't just compliment her looks, he also effectively handles more physical issues and is her solid psychological backup when they have to leave Camazotz without Charles Wallace. In the book they all leave him behind and retreat to a safe planet where their physical wounds are cared for by loving aliens. Calvin is instrumental in bringing Meg down to earth and realizing that not only is her father not at fault, but that she will be the only person able to rescue Charles Wallace.

In this movie, Calvin is merely a damsel in distress, whose only purpose is to give doe eyes to Meg. The movie gives a lot of Calvin's purpose--and lines--to Mrs Which (Oprah).

And as I've said before, this movie makes Dr Murry culpable, which the book did not. In the book, the kids would have been called by the witches to do battle with the Darkness because of who they were destined to be in the history of the war--the loss of their father was merely incidental.

In the movie, it's only the loss of their father--through his own foolishness--that gets the children involved. In the movie, it's all his fault.
^^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 07:08 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,332,943 times
To revisit this topic, I never even bothered to watch the movie. I didn't want it to ruin the image I had of the wonderful book, and from reading reviews (4.2 on IMDB) I could tell the movie was a hot mess and Disney tried too hard to please the masses rather than fans of the book.

I may have to read the book again sometime soon (if I remember correctly it's a pretty quick read) to relive the amazing story and characters developed by Madeleine L'Engle.

Last edited by LakeLifePA; 10-16-2018 at 08:37 AM..

Old 11-25-2018, 07:31 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Great article on Madeleine L'Engle. She really was ahead of her time.

Madeleine L'Engle's midcentury version of 'she persisted': https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-e...125-story.html

Old 11-25-2018, 08:28 PM

28,668 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
To revisit this topic, I never even bothered to watch the movie. I didn't want it to ruin the image I had of the wonderful book, and from reading reviews (4.2 on IMDB) I could tell the movie was a hot mess and Disney tried too hard to please the masses rather than fans of the book.
Considering that the book has been a huge success for half a century, if they wanted to please the masses, they've have shown the original story as faithfully as possible, like Chronicles of Narnia.

No, in this case they wanted to push an explicitly fourth/fifth-wave feminist agenda, and it flopped.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:33 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
I consider L’Engle to be one of my life’s great teachers.

However, every movie made from one of her works has been reductionist and awful. There are just too many levels going on to translate well to the movie medium, most likely.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:20 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
There are just too many levels going on to translate well to the movie medium, most likely.
Probably the same reason Isaac Asimov novels cannot be made into films, with the exception of I, Robot, though I've never read it so I have no idea how close the novel is to the film. But those Galactic Foundation books would be way to much for a feature film.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Probably the same reason Isaac Asimov novels cannot be made into films, with the exception of I, Robot, though I've never read it so I have no idea how close the novel is to the film. But those Galactic Foundation books would be way to much for a feature film.
The movie "I, Robot" had virtually nothing to do with the book. It's an okay Will Smith movie, but it has almost nothing to do with the book.

Interestingly, there is a short-lived Canadian television series called Recall 2070 that is a blend of some plotlines from Philip K Dick's "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale," the production values of the move Bladerunner, and darned if the protagonists aren't dead ringers for Elijah Bailey and R. Daneel Olivaw.

In fact, I came across it while channel surfing, paused to watch it a few minutes, and wondered, "When the heck did somebody do 'Caves of Steel' without me hearing about it?"

Recall 2070 is about the closest thing I've seen to an Isaac Asimov work on the screen...and it's not one.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The movie "I, Robot" had virtually nothing to do with the book. It's an okay Will Smith movie, but it has almost nothing to do with the book.

Interestingly, there is a short-lived Canadian television series called Recall 2070 that is a blend of some plotlines from Philip K Dick's "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale," the production values of the move Bladerunner, and darned if the protagonists aren't dead ringers for Elijah Bailey and R. Daneel Olivaw.

In fact, I came across it while channel surfing, paused to watch it a few minutes, and wondered, "When the heck did somebody do 'Caves of Steel' without me hearing about it?"

Recall 2070 is about the closest thing I've seen to an Isaac Asimov work on the screen...and it's not one.
Wow, Elijah Bailey and R. Daneel Olivaw are two names I have not heard in a long time! Now I need to watch this if I can find it!

Old 11-26-2018, 09:46 PM

Is this it?

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...y=Recall+2070+

Old 11-27-2018, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
That's it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies