Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 05:08 PM

567 posts, read 431,336 times

Advertisements

Just off the top of my head, the most compelling and interesting movies I've seen in the past 30 years are:

The Lives of Others
Schindler's List
Ghandi
Color Purple
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 08:57 AM

52 posts, read 27,602 times
Youth was a good one.

Old 04-29-2018, 12:27 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
My favorite movie that I saw in the theaters is Air Force One.

However there are other movies I like that were more worth seeing in the theaters because of the special effects like Independence Day, Con Air, all the Star Wars movies, Pearl Harbor, and The Patriot.

The most moving experiences I've had in the movies was with Lone Survivor when at the end the entire theater was silent as the names of the soldiers who never made it home were displayed on the screen. Another great experience was a showing of Hillary's America: The Secret History of the Democratic Party by Dinesh D'Souza when the entire theater stood for the Star Spangled Banner and God Bless America at the end of the film. Both of these were in theaters in West Virginia.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:28 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
I went to see Inception like 4 times in movie theater and saw Brokeback Mountain maybe that many
They were excellent but very individual experiences
The original Star Wars and Alien were iconic and not to be forgotten...

I go to the movies almost every week so while I enjoy many of the ones I see they sort of bleed into each other
Thought Michael Clayton was best George Clooney movie I have seen for example and have the DVD which I watch from time to time--it still holds up
Shawshank and The Green Mile
Miracle about the US hockey team winning Olympic gold was great sports film as is Hoosiers

Old 05-02-2018, 06:40 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,129,439 times
Titanic and Braveheart, both these movies had such big screen presence. Watched them at home many times, but the effects aren’t the same.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:13 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I went to see Inception like 4 times in movie theater and saw Brokeback Mountain maybe that many
They were excellent but very individual experiences
The original Star Wars and Alien were iconic and not to be forgotten...

I go to the movies almost every week so while I enjoy many of the ones I see they sort of bleed into each other
Thought Michael Clayton was best George Clooney movie I have seen for example and have the DVD which I watch from time to time--it still holds up
Shawshank and The Green Mile
Miracle about the US hockey team winning Olympic gold was great sports film as is Hoosiers
Michael Clayton was good, but O’ Brother Where Art Thou was Clooney’s best movie in my opinion. It’s one of my favorites of all time. I wish I’d seen it in the theatre.

Last edited by katygirl68; 05-04-2018 at 08:45 PM..

Old 05-04-2018, 08:51 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
I remember the last movie I walked out of already planning when I was going to see it again was Forrest Gump. That movie was so unique, I just couldn’t wait to make my friends go with me. And I had never heard anything about it before seeing it. It was just something for us to do.

I loved Pulp Fiction too, which was in the same year I think.

The one movie I think would have been awesome in a theater was Apocalypto. I think my husband said no because it was subtitled. He watched it later and loved it though.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:44 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times
Big, long, wide-screen epics: 2001, Lawrence of Arabia, Barry Lyndon (2 by Kubrick!) For some reason I didn't see Ben Hur in the theaters when I was a kid or I suspect that would've made the list too.

I do remember going to see Goldfinger in the theaters on first release with my buddies when I was 12 years old & it just seemed like the most exciting, sexy, dangerous & glamorous thing ever. I read all the Ian Fleming books afterwards

Old 05-05-2018, 07:54 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,143,131 times
Kelly Reichardt's Meek's Cutoff (2010).

Old 05-05-2018, 06:05 PM

10,452 posts, read 4,038,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calwine View Post
I like movies, however watch them through a laptop or through a television for me it is not the same.
Which is your favourite movie from the 90's that you watched?

My favourite movie that I watched in a movie theater is Back to te future.
Jurassic Park. I have seen way more than my share of films, but nothing will come close to that feeling of awe at watching dinosaurs move across a gigantic screen, and not being some corny claymotion. To this day, no other movie has captured my imagination as that film did in it's point of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies