Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 06:50 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,279,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankez99 View Post
Oh, and the Oliver Stone movie sucked; really portrayed Morrison as a buffoon.
Morrison was a buffoon. But he could occasionally sing (when he was sober enough) and got by on his good looks by standing in front of talented musicians. The guy died by drowning in his own vomit while masturbating in the bath tub. I fail to see anything admirable in the man. Pity at best. He was a sad wreck of a human being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 12:20 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
pretty good movie
great band
and Morrison remains an icon even if a handful of people don't get it

Old 10-07-2017, 10:36 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,610,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Morrison was a buffoon. But he could occasionally sing (when he was sober enough) and got by on his good looks by standing in front of talented musicians. The guy died by drowning in his own vomit while masturbating in the bath tub. I fail to see anything admirable in the man. Pity at best. He was a sad wreck of a human being.
He was sad & pitiable in the end, unrecognizable too to those of us who held on to the greek god image of the beginning. I think he partially participated in his own myth in the end & it imprisoned him by having to sing "Light My Fire" year after year to yelling teens when he wanted to move on to writing or something else. He was smart enough to see past the pop star cartoon but had gotten caught up in the pop star lifestyle which is ultimately based on the French Romantic era writers & artists wanton & short lives.

He also had a contentious relationship with his father, a US Navy admiral who was absent most of the time & completely uninterested in Jim the rest of the time. Even as an old man before he died just a few years ago he admitted he never bothered to listen to any of The Doors records, he said he knew the title "Light My Fire" but nothing else... to me that shows a type of passive child abuse imo & probably explains a lot of the rebelliousness & anger that haunted Jim.

"Father..... Yes son? I want to kill you!"

Danny Sugarman, who cowrote the definitive Doors book NOHGOA, says that he didn't reveal in the book that Jim's widow, a junkie, told him that she shot up Jim that night in Paris He was a drinker not a druggie, & not being used to H & probably being drunk too he went to take a shower to wake up/shake off the effects & that's where he had the heart attack.

Old 10-07-2017, 01:56 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,331,048 times
Just as Jim Morrison and The Doors were a significant part of America's musical tradition, so too was Jim Morrison's poetry. He was a poet on paper and in every other sense of the word. Rather than write about experience, he would subject himself to that experience first, physically, psychologically, or chemically, before he wrote about it.
Morrison was one of the few artist of the late 1960's era to put Woodstock and the hippie movement in general into its proper perspective (its just kids having a good time and that's always good) He sang the blues pretty well for a poet/lizard king.

Let's just say I was testing the bounds of reality. I was curious to see what would happen. That's all it was: curiosity.
If my poetry aims to achieve anything, it's to deliver people from the limited ways in which they see and feel. JM

Loved the Movie. Val Kilmer nailed it." Man that guy wears his heart on his sleeve"

Last edited by soupson1; 10-07-2017 at 02:08 PM..

Old 10-08-2017, 06:57 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
He also had a contentious relationship with his father, a US Navy admiral who was absent most of the time & completely uninterested in Jim the rest of the time. Even as an old man before he died just a few years ago he admitted he never bothered to listen to any of The Doors records, he said he knew the title "Light My Fire" but nothing else... to me that shows a type of passive child abuse imo & probably explains a lot of the rebelliousness & anger that haunted Jim.
I recently watched this interview with his father and sister. I don't know the extent of the falling out between Jim and his father, but it must have been pretty bad. Considering that, his father seemed very forgiving, and his sister appeared to adore Jim (at least in this clip).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz63-q8otYM

Quote:
Danny Sugarman, who cowrote the definitive Doors book NOHGOA, says that he didn't reveal in the book that Jim's widow, a junkie, told him that she shot up Jim that night in Paris....
Pamela Courson was married to Jim? Maybe because they lived together for several years, it was considered a common law marriage. Very sad what happened to her after Jim's death.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:13 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,485,114 times
I find the hang-up on Morrison's personal qualities to be amusing.

It is quite true that he was a train-wreck of a human being. So?

I swear, do people understand dramatic fiction? (and make no mistake about it - when a filmmaker foregoes making a documentary and instead produces a dramatic film, even if it is based on real events, it is still inescapably fiction by its nature) Protagonists must be flawed, whether it's the big screen, the little screen, literature, music, and so forth. Holden Caulfield. Don Draper. Michael Corleone. Or Richard Nixon from Nixon, to use another real-life character.

Back to the music of The Doors (for those who somehow can't manage to comprehend that the film isn't a box-set of the band's albums). Here's a fact - lousy people can make fine art. Sean Penn. John Lennon. Frank Lloyd Wright. And the only thing worse than running the artist through an acceptability-filter before passing judgment on the art is to only selectively do so for those people who happen to torque you off for some inscrutable reason.

Come to think of it, I dislike a lot of Oliver Stone's jackassery. But that doesn't compel me to dismiss his films, because I happen to think some of them are fine cinema.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:03 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,072,062 times
Yeah I understand that the main character has to to be flawed, but the main character almost always has a goal to accomplish with said flaw, where was I felt Morrison had nothing to reach for, so the movie just didn't have anywhere to go with it. But maybe I need to watch it again.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:26 PM

120 posts, read 72,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Yeah I understand that the main character has to to be flawed, but the main character almost always has a goal to accomplish with said flaw, where was I felt Morrison had nothing to reach for, so the movie just didn't have anywhere to go with it. But maybe I need to watch it again.
Or maybe you should watch another movie because this one has obviously driven you crazy.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:32 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
I have to agree with Hulsker. I saw the movie a long time ago, but I think at the time I thought it was o.k. A lot of people who have made great contributions to society were real jerks. Albert Einstein was a jerk.

I know people who knew Jim Morrison and they seemed to think that he was pretty intelligent. He also liked to read. Remember, he was a kid at the time doing immature things. Lots and lots of drugs and alcohol floating around in that world through the 1980s. It would be pretty hard to be accepted by your peers if you didn't imbibe.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:45 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,072,062 times
Oh okay. But what did he contribute exactly?. I mean he is no Oscar Schindler, Ghandi, or Malcolm X, as far as contributing to society goes by comparison. I mean he contributed to the hippie drug movement from what the movie depicts but is that much of a contribution?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies