Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 11:15 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,049,763 times

Advertisements

I am film student, and aspiring film director. I made a few short films so far, and one of them was is a crime thriller/drama, that deals with a rape crime and the consequences that unfold from it.

I showed it to my friends and others to get opinions on it, and some of them said that I should have cast a better looking actress in the role. But it's about a rape crime though. Who cares if the woman is goodlooking or not when it comes that kind of subject matter or themes? I mean it's not like this is a James Bond movie, where people would expect a goodlooking female character, for that type of story universe.

I cast based on the actress's acting talent, and doing the best job in the audition, and not her looks.

Now I don't mean to sound like I am complaining about the feedback on here. I love getting feedback and constructive criticism. I am just surprised on the feedback, and thought people were perhaps making too big of deal on looks maybe.

So I am wondering if perhaps looks is a big deal and I should take that into consideration more, even if the role of the story isn't about looks?

But what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 11:18 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,706,569 times
The problem is that you have two considerations:

the topic (rape)

and the idea of pleasing a film-watching audience.

SO now you are experiencing the problem with trying to make a "film" about rape.

Smart people understand that rape is a crime of violence, not sex, and that all kinds of women of all ages get raped. So no, whether the woman you cast is "hot" should not matter, unless you are trying to make an exploitation film.

Maybe you should hang out with smarter people.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:23 AM

29,677 posts, read 34,200,947 times
You're right in that you chose the best actress for the job. It's interesting how some people feel like they can't get into a story unless it's presented by a woman who's decorative enough. (Enough for what?)

Old 10-02-2017, 11:24 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,195,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I am film student, and aspiring film director. I made a few short films so far, and one of them was is a crime thriller/drama, that deals with a rape crime and the consequences that unfold from it.

I showed it to my friends and others to get opinions on it, and some of them said that I should have cast a better looking actress in the role. But it's about a rape crime though. Who cares if the woman is goodlooking or not when it comes that kind of subject matter or themes? I mean it's not like this is a James Bond movie, where people would expect a goodlooking female character, for that type of story universe.

I cast based on the actress's acting talent, and doing the best job in the audition, and not her looks.

Now I don't mean to sound like I am complaining about the feedback on here. I love getting feedback and constructive criticism. I am just surprised on the feedback, and thought people were perhaps making too big of deal on looks maybe.

So I am wondering if perhaps looks is a big deal and I should take that into consideration more, even if the role of the story isn't about looks?

But what do you think?
The bolded--did they say why? I completely agree with you. It doesn't matter what she looks like.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:30 AM

I didn't ask why so far, it was just the comments I got in a nutshell. One of the distractions, and I am just guessing here, is that maybe it was because the actress was somewhat overweight, maybe people thought it was odd to see an overweight person woman in a rape scene particularly?

Old 10-02-2017, 11:42 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,195,981 times
Quote:
I didn't ask why so far, it was just the comments I got in a nutshell. One of the distractions, and I am just guessing here, is that maybe it was because the actress was somewhat overweight, maybe people thought it was odd to see an overweight person woman in a rape scene particularly?
Right, because overweight women don't get raped

Old 10-02-2017, 11:47 AM

29,677 posts, read 34,200,947 times
Rapists do not target women because of how sexy they think they are.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:52 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,984,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You're right in that you chose the best actress for the job. It's interesting how some people feel like they can't get into a story unless it's presented by a woman who's decorative enough. (Enough for what?)
Agreed! Rape is not a fantasy like James Bond.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:55 AM

Okay thanks, just thinking it over...

Old 10-02-2017, 11:58 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,257,110 times
Quote:
Unfortunately in this society (I say THIS, because it seems that actors and actresses look more like typical people in British films, e.g.) you can see it is difficult enough to cast a woman who is not pretty enough in the face, much less someone who isn't Hollywood thin.

You may have to take the middle road here unless you want to lose a large portion of your audience's attention - that is, a "plain-looking" woman who is not skinny but not overweight. Of course women of all types are victims of crime...the question is, you'll be preaching completely to the choir if you go too extreme with your actress who portrays this - retain your audience with a more moderate actress (who can still act!).

Oh - and to make the criminal good looking is also asking an American audience to make a large leap - first of all, he would never choose her as a partner much less an unwilling one - at least "logically" - realistically, anything can happen. But try to not throw too many complexities at your audience or you'll lose them completely - they can only "suspend disbelief" so much before they are exhausted and just give up...seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies