Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 07:17 AM

22,919 posts, read 28,263,704 times

Advertisements

See the full article with their reasoning at:

https://www.avclub.com/the-35-best-s...ner-1819142386

Here is the list:

35. Dune (1984)
34. Battle Royale (2000)
33. Moon (2009)
32. The Adventures Of Buckaroo Banzai Across The 8th Dimension (1984)
31. The Host (2006)
30. Looper (2012)
29. Snowpiercer (2013)
28. Ghost In The Shell (1995)
27. Donnie Darko (2001)
26. The Terminator (1984)
25. They Live (1988)
24. Inception (2010)
23. Edge Of Tomorrow (2014)
22. Upstream Color (2013)
21. Jurassic Park (1993)
20. RoboCop (1987)
19. Videodrome (1983)
18. Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)
17. Starship Troopers (1997)
16. Minority Report (2002)
15. Arrival (2016)
14. The Fly (1986)
13. Under The Skin (2013)
12. Her (2013)
11. 12 Monkeys (1995)
10. A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001)
9. Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)
8. Primer (2004)
7. WALL-E (2008)
6. Children Of Men (2006)
5. Back To The Future (1985)
4. Aliens (1986)
3. Brazil (1985)
2. The Matrix (1999)
1. Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind (2004)

I might quibble with the order of some of the list, but the only glaring omission I see is Ex Machina, which should be Top 10.

And DUNE (35), MAD MAX: FURY ROAD (2015), and THE MATRIX (1999) shouldn't even be on the list. The assertion that those are even good movies only proves that Mr. Hand was right all along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 09:45 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,616,738 times
Mad Max: Fury Road IS a good movie. You're simply not a fan of the subgenre.

Also...They Live? Haha. That's a really cool movie, but in no way should it be on a "Best of SF" list.

Videodrome? That's crap, too. Scanners is a much better film (and yes, it's SF).

Back to the Future? Seriously? To me, that's more of a comedy than anything, but whatever.

Battle Royale has little "science" in it, apart from an ancient trope.

The most glaring omission: Interstellar. They had staffers and freelancers submit ballots, and they somehow forgot Interstellar?

Old 10-05-2017, 10:36 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
no problem with 'Mad Max' being included but would have included the initial (#2) 'Road Warrior' as well.

nice to see the campy 'Starship Troopers' get noticed, appeared I was one of the few that liked it.

Would have included 'District 9' as well

Old 10-05-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post

Yes! Great movie! But that's not on the list, and WALL-E is.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
no problem with 'Mad Max' being included but would have included the initial (#2) 'Road Warrior' as well.
The original ROAD WARRIOR pre-dates Blade Runner, and the list is post-BR movies.

Quote:
nice to see the campy 'Starship Troopers' get noticed, appeared I was one of the few that liked it.
Count me among the few as well.

Quote:
It was good. Great? Not to me. It might have been a great 45 minute TV movie. But the movie was almost 2 hours long. There were long stretches of that movie where I got bored. And I sat through BEACHES.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Mad Max: Fury Road IS a good movie. You're simply not a fan of the subgenre.
The subgenre of Loud? In all fairness, I must admit I never finished the movie. I think I made it forty minutes in before I gave up. THE MATRIX taught me my lesson: Life is too short to waste it on a bad movie.

Quote:
Also...They Live? Haha. That's a really cool movie, but in no way should it be on a "Best of SF" list.
Why? It's definitely campy, but it knows it's campy and runs with it. The only thing that could have improved that movie was casting Mr. T in a role. Especially if he had a van. Mr. T in a van, fighting aliens? I'd watch that.

Quote:
Videodrome? That's crap, too. Scanners is a much better film (and yes, it's SF).
I've never actually seen Videodrome. Been years since I watched Scanners, but yes, it is good. But doesn't it pre-date BR? If not, then it can't be by much. They're both very early 1980s.

Quote:
Back to the Future? Seriously? To me, that's more of a comedy than anything, but whatever.
And here we run in to the perennial argument: What is science fiction? Just because the story is funny doesn't mean it isn't science fiction. If you remove the science fiction elements of the story from BttF, the story does not survive. It is integral. Therefore, BttF is science fiction.

Quote:
Battle Royale has little "science" in it, apart from an ancient trope.
Ditto last argument. Is ALIEN a science fiction movie or a horror movie? It's both. Is BLADE RUNNER science fiction or a noir detective movie? It's both.

Quote:
The most glaring omission: Interstellar. They had staffers and freelancers submit ballots, and they somehow forgot Interstellar?
I liked Interstellar. I did not love Interstellar. It had some great moments but was a tad too pretentious for its own good. Arrival is a much better example of "smartypants" SF.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:15 AM

24,476 posts, read 17,220,223 times
What an odd list with omissions and surprises.

Aliens but not the original?

Ex machina was really good.
The first Matrix was excellent.

SCI FI to me isn't all explosions and attacks of aliens but it is more about humans that are placed in future worlds/ predicaments where they try to deal with the technology and problems associated with it while keeping their humanity.

I think "Passengers" was just such a movie and should be on the list.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Aliens but not the original?
ALIEN pre-dates BLADE RUNNER by a few years.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkuS View Post
The subgenre of Loud? In all fairness, I must admit I never finished the movie. I think I made it forty minutes in before I gave up. THE MATRIX taught me my lesson: Life is too short to waste it on a bad movie.
Marcus, they got meds for that ADD.

Seriously, if you're a fan of The Road Warrior, how can you not be a fan of Fury Road? (But again, I love that kind of stuff.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkuS
I've never actually seen Videodrome. Been years since I watched Scanners, but yes, it is good. But doesn't it pre-date BR? If not, then it can't be by much. They're both very early 1980s.
You're right, Scanners does. '81.

Quote:
And here we run in to the perennial argument: What is science fiction? Just because the story is funny doesn't mean it isn't science fiction. If you remove the science fiction elements of the story from BttF, the story does not survive. It is integral. Therefore, BttF is science fiction.
I'll meet you halfway: it's SF. Should it be on a "35 best since BR" list? NO way!

Quote:
I liked Interstellar. I did not love Interstellar. It had some great moments but was a tad too pretentious for its own good. Arrival is a much better example of "smartypants" SF.
Too pretentious for its own good...what nonsense, lol.

Again, how's Moon (a movie I do like) on the list, while Interstellar's not?

Old 10-05-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Marcus, they got meds for that ADD.

Seriously, if you're a fan of The Road Warrior, how can you not be a fan of Fury Road? (But again, I love that kind of stuff.)
I tried watching FURY ROAD with my favorite beer. Couldn't do it. It was great spectacle I'll grant you. It looked gorgeous. But I want more out of my movies than just good looks. Like an actual story, depth of character, dialogue ...

I sat through BEACHES for cryin out loud. If I can't sit through a ROAD WARRIOR movie, something went wrong.

Quote:
Again, how's Moon (a movie I do like) on the list, while Interstellar's not?
I haven't actually seen MOON yet, so I can't really comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies