Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 12:35 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
If short stories count, then it is, without a doubt.....

Maximum Overdrive....

which is also the worst movie I have ever seen in a theater.....and I have seen many thousands of movies in theaters over my lifetime.
That wasn't based on a book, was it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 03:48 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,882,281 times
Even Cowgirls get the Blues.

Tom Robbins is an incredible writer, don't think his books are made to go to film.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:02 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
That wasn't based on a book, was it?
That's why I started the post with 'If short stories count'. It was loosely based on King's short story 'Trucks'. King directed Maximum Overdrive, and afterward it was his intention to never direct again. I'm not a person who dislikes Stephen King's work being made into/adapted for movies either....I think The Shawshank Redemption is one of the three best movies made since 1990. I just thought Maximum Overdrive was a terrible movie.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:54 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
That's why I started the post with 'If short stories count'. It was loosely based on King's short story 'Trucks'.
I did not know that. Thanks!

Quote:
King directed Maximum Overdrive, and afterward it was his intention to never direct again. I'm not a person who dislikes Stephen King's work being made into/adapted for movies either....I think The Shawshank Redemption is one of the three best movies made since 1990. I just thought Maximum Overdrive was a terrible movie.
It was a terrible movie. But to be fair, that whole era had a LOT of terrible horror movies. It was the '80s. Maximum Overdrive wasn't worse than a lot of other movies from that era.

Old 10-12-2017, 03:58 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
Quote:
That's why I started the post with 'If short stories count'. It was loosely based on King's short story 'Trucks'. King directed Maximum Overdrive, and afterward it was his intention to never direct again. I'm not a person who dislikes Stephen King's work being made into/adapted for movies either....I think The Shawshank Redemption is one of the three best movies made since 1990. I just thought Maximum Overdrive was a terrible movie.
I think King admitted to being high most of the time he was on set.

I had a strange instance with movie adaptations. I saw Jurassic Park in the theaters and LOVED IT. I then read the book and loved it even more. After reading the book, I found that every time I watched the movie, I was disappointed. I thought they could have done so much more, but that's what happens when you cramp an entire novel into 1 1/2 hours. So, I wouldn't go to say the adaptation was bad, but it shows that someone's interpretation could be limited to whether or not they actually read the book.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:43 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
"Mansfield Park" with Frances O'Connor. Completely changed the character of Fanny Price!

Old 10-15-2017, 11:39 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,624,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I did not know that. Thanks!

It was a terrible movie. But to be fair, that whole era had a LOT of terrible horror movies. It was the '80s. Maximum Overdrive wasn't worse than a lot of other movies from that era.
If you want a screamingly hilarious review of Maximum overdrive--check this out

Maximum Overdrive (1986) – Jabootu's Bad Movie Dimension

Old 10-15-2017, 09:31 PM

45 posts, read 37,281 times
I've always had a hard time with any attempted adaptation of Bram Stoker's Dracula. Although I appreciate the classic Nosferatu and Bela Lugosi's later portrayal of the title character, none of the films have really hit home for me. I was deeply disappointed with Francis Ford Coppola's version that was released in the early 90s.

I did like the film adaptation of Fannie Flagg's Fried Green Tomatoes. Mostly because I'm a huge fan of Mary Stuart Masterson. The book is great as well.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:14 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Oscar Hijuelos' Mambo Kings Play Songs of Love is a fantastic book, but the movie was a near-dud.

They casted well for the two brothers and it was nice to see Desi Jr play his father. But they lopped off half the story. Perhaps understandable as the story goes on for decades.

Old 10-22-2017, 03:43 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
This thread just reminded of one of the most pretentious, sleep-inducing movies I ever saw, Remains of the Day, because the book was magnificent and author Kazuo Ishiguro just won the Noble Prize for literature. But IMO even Anthony Hopkins couldn't save this dud, which must go down as one of the worst film adaptations ever. YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies