Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2017, 10:14 PM

29,532 posts, read 22,780,153 times

Advertisements

Prison movie releasing in theaters on August 18 (movie was released briefly last month on Direct TV).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQxjyRr9k2E

'Shot Caller' Review | Hollywood Reporter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 10:56 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,389,598 times
That movie is godawful. Just really terrible. And I am in no way offended by any of the content. I couldn't believe how bad it was.

Old 09-10-2017, 12:10 AM

29,532 posts, read 22,780,153 times
Just saw this movie, it was available for rent on Amazon video.

I thought it was an excellent movie. The director went undercover in California prison for research, and the movie gets California prison politics right. Director also made the prison based movie "Felon" nine years ago.

The movie was based somewhat on an actual guy who went to prison as a non violent offender and became a hardened, violent criminal.

Movie does an excellent job of depicting the nightmare scenario inside prisons that are divided along racial/ethnic lines. Great acting throughout.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:56 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,085,399 times
Default I didn't understand the plot to Shot Caller (2017) Can anyone help?

SPOILERS

Basically the main character at the end, decided to get himself locked back up in prison in the end, in order to kill the gang leader, so his family will be safe.

But why did he put himself in this whole position in the first place? If he hadn't of chosen to meet the gang leader, and become part of the gang, none of this would have happened. So he really seemd to have dug his own hole in the first place. Why? I understand he had to win other prisoner's respect, but did he have to go so far up the chain that he puts his family in danger like that, which just makes matters worse?

Unless I am missing something?

Old 10-25-2017, 11:32 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,340,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
SPOILERS

Basically the main character at the end, decided to get himself locked back up in prison in the end, in order to kill the gang leader, so his family will be safe.

But why did he put himself in this whole position in the first place? If he hadn't of chosen to meet the gang leader, and become part of the gang, none of this would have happened. So he really seemd to have dug his own hole in the first place. Why? I understand he had to win other prisoner's respect, but did he have to go so far up the chain that he puts his family in danger like that, which just makes matters worse?

Unless I am missing something?

Sometimes, you just don't have a choice once sh*t starts flying. One thing just lead to another and soon you are deep in sh*t. It's not only about wining respect, it's also for protection. Once you agreed to do the work, it just keeps coming whether you want it or not. Once you are in, you are in.

My cousin spent years in State Prison and he says that sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do to live, to get protection. If you don't have protection in prison, it ain't pretty. My cousin wasn't in a prison gang but when things went down, he still had to play his part and still back his group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies