Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2017, 11:52 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times

Advertisements

I chanced to watch the movie Perrier's Bounty tonight. I thought it was an enjoyable and funny film, though I see the review sites didn't much like it. I must say I wish that it had subtitles, because the Irish accents are pretty thick.

It was mostly entertaining to me because so many actors that are in Game of Thrones show up in it in minor parts.

Ser Davos (Liam Cunningham) plays a scam artist known as The Mutt
Varys (Conleth Hill) is almost unrecognizable as a rottweiler owner
Lord Bolton (Michael McElhatton) is a small time enforcer - I thought this character was hilarious
Yoren (Francis Magee) is another enforcer
and probably some others, too

Oh, and Brendon Coyle from Downton Abbey and etc. and etc. played another rottweiler owner.

GOT has such a huge cast that of course the actors show up in various movies, too, but this one in particular was entertaining to me because it was such a surprise to see the actors play minor roles as such very modern urban Irish characters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 12:58 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Emilia Clarke (Daenerys) was in Terminator.

The guy who plays Jaime Lannister was in Wimbledon with Kirsten Dunst.

Peter Dinklage was in some comedy with Melissa McCarthy.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:40 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I chanced to watch the movie Perrier's Bounty tonight. I thought it was an enjoyable and funny film, though I see the review sites didn't much like it. I must say I wish that it had subtitles, because the Irish accents are pretty thick.
Turn on the closed captioning on your TV. I don't really have hearing impairments, but I watch a lot of movies with the CC, because I have trouble understanding the dialogue, either because of accents, or they're talking too fast, or the background sounds are too overpowering.

Old 11-09-2017, 05:55 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
The "Rome" two season series featured Indira Varma (Ellaria Sand) as the wife of the lead character, Ciaran Hinds (Mance Rayder) as Julius Caesar, and Tobias Menzies, who plays the easily manipulated Edmure Tully, as an easily manipulated Marcus Junius Brutus.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:58 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,618,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post

It was mostly entertaining to me because so many actors that are in Game of Thrones show up in it in minor parts.

Ser Davos (Liam Cunningham) plays a scam artist known as The Mutt
Varys (Conleth Hill) is almost unrecognizable as a rottweiler owner
Lord Bolton (Michael McElhatton) is a small time enforcer - I thought this character was hilarious
Yoren (Francis Magee) is another enforcer
and probably some others, too

Oh, and Brendon Coyle from Downton Abbey and etc. and etc. played another rottweiler owner.

GOT has such a huge cast that of course the actors show up in various movies, too, but this one in particular was entertaining to me because it was such a surprise to see the actors play minor roles as such very modern urban Irish characters.
Dont forget that Sophie Turner plays Jean Grey in the x-men movies

Old 11-16-2017, 02:16 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,987,107 times
Don't forget Peter Dinklage as the Angry Elf in Elf.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:02 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,620,497 times
Yeah, Rome was a favorite of mine so I enjoyed seeing several of those actors in Game of Thrones. I really wish Ciaran Hinds and Tobias Menzies had more to do because they are awesome!!

Also:

Peter Dinklage is amazing in The Station Agent. That's a movie that has always stuck with me and I highly recommend it.

Liam Cunningham is a character actor who has been in many movies. The ones that stand out to me are Hunger (with Michael Fassbender) and the Wind That Shakes the Barley (a great movie about the Irish civil war). But I've seen him pop up in many others.

Alfie Allen (Theon) was one of the baddies in John Wick. It was fun to see him in that one.

And Iain Glen (Jorah) has been in a lot of stuff too. My personal favorite was him as Hamlet in Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead.

Old 11-23-2017, 07:56 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Dont forget that Sophie Turner plays Jean Grey in the x-men movies
I try to forget her all the time...

Old 11-23-2017, 08:14 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Jaime--Nikolaj Costa-Waldau--was in Wimbledon--and played a gay tennis player, friend of the male lead played by Paul Bettany...
He was in newer movie we caught On Demand or Amazon--
ShotCaller--about a man, upscale Yuppie, who drinks too much at dinner and is in accident on way home...has his wife and another couple they dined with in car...the man is killed
He decides to plea bargain and get a shorter but definite sentence
Prison is the real deal--bad things happen--he tries to survive--it ain't easy
Very compelling on many levels but for me because this situation could happen to almost anyone--he made a decision many people make all the time--driving after a little too much social drinking...
The love he has for his family and his own innate decency are believable but the morass he tries to escape or just endure is bigger...
Compared to the Tom Selleck movie where he was wrongly charged/convicted/imprisoned by bad cops setting him up to cover up their mistake and Tom's vengeance---that was typical good guy wins in the end...
Shot Caller much more nuanced and shows that Jamie is good actor...

He was also in foreign file (Danish maybe since he is Danish) called "HeadHunters" about a businessman/headhunter who thinks he is all that because he is also an art thief
He decides to steal a painting from character played by Nikolaj--
Big mistake--based on Jo Nesbo novel...
Enjoyable to see someone you don't like that much have the tables turned...
And Nikolaj shows a flair for some sarcastic humor--which Jamie gets few chances to use on GoT...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies