Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 12:52 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
I read the comic series decades ago. The story is very emotional and gut-wrenching (I can see why Cameron was drawn to it), even if this movie tones down the gore and violence. 2013's Elysium copying the setting wholesale might ruin critical impression.
Trailer sort of reminded me of Ex Machina. Fight scenes looked good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 10:39 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,482 times
Also, I have a suspicion that Jack Dawson from Titanic is based on the love interest in this movie. Their stories are totally different, but their personalities are really similar for a comic that Cameron seems to admire a lot.

I'm pretty sure movie fans will leave the theater thinking "that's definitely a story you'd see from a Cameron movie."

Old 12-11-2017, 09:47 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,332,775 times
Will Redbox it but will not pay theater tix for it. Now, if someone decides to do Hellsing with Alucard...Take my money NOW!

Old 12-11-2017, 09:58 PM

666 posts, read 512,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
Also, I have a suspicion that Jack Dawson from Titanic is based on the love interest in this movie. Their stories are totally different, but their personalities are really similar for a comic that Cameron seems to admire a lot.
I don't see how that's possible. The major point of Titanic is that Rose was living in this very rigid class structure where she felt she didn't have the freedom to break out of it. Also, she thought she was too weak as a "female" to do anything on her own. After she meets Jack, everything changes.

Jack's character was purposely written in such a way to prop her story. He had to be the smart aleck to teach her how to loosen up and not be a snob worrying about what everyone thought, had to be the type of free spirit who didn't give a crap about the rules (like walking back and forth between the two different class sections on the Titanic), just like Rose's mother had to be a pathetic social climber and her fiancee had to be an abusive jerk.

Seeing how much of a prop Jack was for the Rose story line, it just seems to me that Cameron came up with the character he thought worked best to teach her how to be her own woman and not care about rocking the boat or care about class. Like, he couldn't be any other way, like a brooding poet or a nerdy guy or whatever. He had to be that type to make her change of heart believable.

Old 12-12-2017, 02:54 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,482 times
They're both adventurous characters who belong in a rigid lower class, and have blissfully greater aspirations than what's acceptable in the story's society. Like I said, the events and fictional lives of the two characters are completely different.

Old 12-15-2017, 04:15 AM

512 posts, read 321,412 times
Am I weird for getting teary-eyed at this trailer? I have not read the graphic novel or watched the videos, but this trailer made me emotional. Maybe I am a sucker for films in which machines explore what it means to be human...or maybe I was just captivated by Rosa Salazar’s charm. Yes, even with those CGI peepers, her charisma shines through (reminds me of Gal Gadot)...

Old 12-15-2017, 04:17 AM

512 posts, read 321,412 times
The eyes look awesome, and they add to the whole sense of her not being ”fully human”...

Old 08-09-2018, 06:12 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,987,396 times
The trailer looks great. Also, I saw the previews on the big screen recently when I saw another movie... and in my opinion, this movie looks absolutely great. However, I don't see how two sci-fi aficionados such as Mark S. and AFtrEFkt are not interested in this. Although, the only thing creepy about this movie are the eyes on the CGI face of the main character. However, I think that's the point that her eyes are suppose to look creepy because she's an artificial being. But in the end, I think that this is going to be a big hit.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:14 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,987,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramasfella View Post
The eyes look awesome, and they add to the whole sense of her not being ”fully human”...
Yes, the main character's eyes do look interesting, which I think brings a 'uniqueness' to this movie.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:02 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
Yes, the main character's eyes do look interesting, which I think brings a 'uniqueness' to this movie.
Excuse me, waiter. These roaches on my salad are interesting. I think they bring a "uniqueness" to this meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies