Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 09:48 PM

2,185 posts, read 1,382,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post
The majority of people who saw this movie said that this movie is very good but I don't know if this movie will earn enough for the studio to make two more movies. Thoughts?

Getting there.

The movie was absolutely fantastic. The critics know nothing, read the audience reviews instead. I had never heard of the manga before and was prejudiced against it. I went to see it based on people's recommendations. I did not see the time pass...Definitely needs a sequel and even a full franchise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 01:03 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Very, very close to the anime from the 90s--a departure from other Western live-action adaptations.

If you like anime and liked the earlier Japanese production, you should like this.

Old 06-10-2019, 12:20 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,618,718 times
https://twitter.com/ScottMendelson/s...45502011187203

Old 07-15-2019, 10:01 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
I very much enjoyed this movie. So much so that I watched it twice ion four days. I enjoyed Alita's character, I liked the futuristic world the movie was set in, and I thought there was decent character development and a good story line. I just wasn't expecting an ending that absolutely requires a sequel even though she knows who she is at the end. Just hope that happens.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:11 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Saw it with my daughters today and loved it. I had a blast. I've been anticipating it for a long time and grew up with the manga. It is a spectacle. The effects and action sequences are phenomenal and never achieved in the way it was executed in this movie. It's mesmerizing to watch. The actress who plays Alita, Rosa Salazar, brings Alita to life and does an amazing job giving the character nuance and layers. I absolutely adored her character, and her manga/anime look is beautifully realized.

Now, I *get* that many of the critics felt the story not living up to the grand spectacle. It looks like a James Cameron movie. And it even feels like one in its world-building and the lead characters, but it also feels like the studio took some control in the story and made changes. The manga is very violent, and while this movie has its pg-13 violence, it was definitely toned down to get the pg-13 rating to appeal to a wider audience. The story rewrites had to appease the studio because a studio is not going to invest 200 million into a film with an R rating given it's more difficult to see a return on investment when a huge chunk of the target audience is left out.

While the folks who are most familiar with Alita are adults, they're hinting at making this a trilogy and they want to attract a wide demographic. So the story doesn't quite have the James Cameron feel in its direction and feels a bit more YA with James Cameron SPX and spectacle. Some of the dialogue between Alita and her love interest is cheesy in the beginning, but given the attempt to attract the YA crowd, it hits those typical beats. I think their interaction gets better as the story progresses. I know some critics are bothered by its lack of a proper ending. It leaves things open for a sequel or two, but I didn't feel that it took away from the overall experience. I genuinely enjoyed the characters and feel the story beats fit the typical YA formula, but I think if Cameron weren't busy with Avatar sequels, aspects of the narrative would rise to the heights of the Epic action, world-building, and SPX. I think if Cameron carried the entire movie, the studio might have been okay with it being a bit more serious. It doesn't quite address some of the philosophical issues addressed in, say, Ghost in the Shell, which felt more weighty in the issues it explores or in movies like Blade Runner. But I think the studio is attempting to appeal to a wider audience with its goal to make more movies.

I'm not sure if more are to come, based on box office performance, but I really hope they continue the story. I want to see more. As much as I enjoy Rodriguez's work, I think future installments would be best suited with a different director.
I agree with a good majority of this. The biggest faults were making the movie franchise-ready and a little too YA oriented (along with the extremely tight editing to 2 hours). The movie still has mature themes and adult content, but it was dialed back for accessibility at the expense of the story. That was also the problem with Hollywood Ghost in the Shell-- simplifying the hard-scifi themes to a retelling of Robocop. But I think Rodriguez did as good of a job as anyone, with evident supervision from Cameron.

Hollywood should allow this movie to develop into a franchise, instead of relying on the same AAA brands until audiences grow tired of them. John Wick 1 didn't have a massive opening, but by the 3rd movie it's turned into a hit franchise at the box office.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:33 PM

740 posts, read 456,814 times
I rather have Hollywood continue this franchise than do another dumb reboot like rumors that they are going to reboot Power Ranger. That movie was just came out 2 years ago. So yeah Hollywood, move on to the next chapter of this movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies