Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 05:04 PM

3,084 posts, read 7,270,137 times

Advertisements

Besides reminding people that they are Jewish?

I dont know what the Coen brothers objective was here but this movie was incredibly boring and unfunny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 03:58 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,673,196 times
I absolutely loved it, I thought it was extremely funny ( in a very dry and dark sort of way), clever and a bitter look at the absurdity of life and in a way human existence too.

I'm not sure it was supposed to have a "meaning" as such, but to me it was a perfectly crafted piece of story-telling . A story of a dysfunctional family in an era on the cusp of social "liberation", a little nugget of insight into the lives of a Jewish neighbourhood and into the little foibles of the Jewish faith.

I am not Jewish but greatly enjoyed it.

Different strokes for different people I guess...

Old 06-04-2010, 01:41 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,099,494 times
It *was* really, really dark.
The bar mitzvah scene was priceless.
I don't know how non-Jewish people got some of the jokes.

My take on A Serious Man was that it was looking at the meaning of life, and the theme of the movie was that Nobody Really Knows What Is Going On, so make the best of the ride.
Don't question or second-guess too much,the absurdity might well get the best of you.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I absolutely loved it, I thought it was extremely funny ( in a very dry and dark sort of way), clever and a bitter look at the absurdity of life and in a way human existence too.

I'm not sure it was supposed to have a "meaning" as such, but to me it was a perfectly crafted piece of story-telling . A story of a dysfunctional family in an era on the cusp of social "liberation", a little nugget of insight into the lives of a Jewish neighbourhood and into the little foibles of the Jewish faith.

I am not Jewish but greatly enjoyed it.

Different strokes for different people I guess...

The first 30 minutes of was very enjoyable to me. I laughed at the little Yiddish mannerisms. Like the big stocky Jewish lady that made such weird disgusting noises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
It *was* really, really dark.
The bar mitzvah scene was priceless.
I don't know how non-Jewish people got some of the jokes.

My take on A Serious Man was that it was looking at the meaning of life, and the theme of the movie was that Nobody Really Knows What Is Going On, so make the best of the ride.
Don't question or second-guess too much,the absurdity might well get the best of you.
Yeah thats it. I just expected more.

And how about the intro with the lady stabbing the man?

Old 06-05-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post

And how about the intro with the lady stabbing the man?
Absurd.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:49 PM

22,961 posts, read 28,406,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I dont know what the Coen brothers objective was here but this movie was incredibly boring and unfunny.
I find that is true of about half the Coens' work.

Half of what they do is brilliant. Fargo. O Brother Where Art Thou? No Country For Old Men. The Big Lebowski. All either good or great.

But then they do stuff like The Man Who Wasn't There, Intolerable Cruelty, The Ladykillers, and Burn After Reading. All either incredibly boring or unfunny --- and often both.

Given that their last two films were of the boring and unfunny variety, I'm hoping the next one will be genius. They're doing True Grit, but supposedly not a remake of the first film so much as a more faithful adaptation of the original novel.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I find that is true of about half the Coens' work.

Half of what they do is brilliant. Fargo. O Brother Where Art Thou? No Country For Old Men. The Big Lebowski. All either good or great.

But then they do stuff like The Man Who Wasn't There, Intolerable Cruelty, The Ladykillers, and Burn After Reading. All either incredibly boring or unfunny --- and often both.
I agree with you.
The thing is, there is an entire camp of viewers who find lighter fare such as The Big Lebowski silly, and prefer the tone of Blood Simple/Miller's Crossing type stuff.
(But I don't know anyone who liked The Ladykillers. )
Quote:
Given that their last two films were of the boring and unfunny variety, I'm hoping the next one will be genius. They're doing True Grit, but supposedly not a remake of the first film so much as a more faithful adaptation of the original novel.
I saw a trailer, and it looked good.
I have my Coen favorites, but there have definitely been some that eluded me, even after a second/third viewing.
But one thing I will say in their favor: I enjoy their dark sense of humor as well as their willingness to try something new.
I don't think I will see A Serious Man again, but I sure don't regret renting it.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:05 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,648,289 times
Perhaps I am all alone here, but I really enjoyed "Burn" and Brads performance was hysterical. I thought "Big L" was ok, overyhyped, or else I am just not that cooool I guess I have met too many guys like the dude.
I thought maybe Serious Man was a bit autobiographical for the brothers and you'd "have to have been there" to be in on some of the humor. My Jewish friend said it was "uncomfortable" to watch, like someones family movie. I agree with Blue Willow (usually do) that I am glad I saw it, but not one I would watch again.
When I saw Blood Simple when it first came out, I was haunted by it for awhile and I knew the Coen Bros were a movie force to be reckoned with.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Perhaps I am all alone here, but I really enjoyed "Burn" and Brads performance was hysterical.
I liked it too!
This is terrible, but my son and I replayed Brad's death scene over and over.
Quote:
I thought maybe Serious Man was a bit autobiographical for the brothers and you'd "have to have been there" to be in on some of the humor. My Jewish friend said it was "uncomfortable" to watch, like someones family movie. I agree with Blue Willow (usually do) that I am glad I saw it, but not one I would watch again.
What I've bolded: Well said.
Quote:
When I saw Blood Simple when it first came out, I was haunted by it for awhile and I knew the Coen Bros were a movie force to be reckoned with.
Yes!
Actually, that's still one of my favorite Coen movies.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:58 PM

Brad' performance in "Burn After Reading" is sidesplitting. I laughed so hard. Burn After Reading is up there with "In Bruges," IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies