Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 04:12 PM

19,384 posts, read 15,220,746 times

Advertisements

I just realized that it's basically akin to the creepiness of clowns. Pennywise comes to mind.

*shudder*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 11:00 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,234,555 times
Horrible trailer will not see the movie

Old 09-03-2019, 08:29 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Looks like someone other than Shyamalan actually made a comic-book movie for adults.

Full review: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-a9088596.html

Excerpt:

Quote:
Right now, the most buzzed-about film in the world is a low-budget period piece soaked in nihilism and self-loathing about a disturbed loner who lives with his mother and despises society. Despite arriving in a year otherwise dominated by family-friendly photocopies such as Aladdin and The Lion King, it is also expected to be one of 2019’s biggest commercial hits. And all because it’s vaguely related to Batman.

Joker, which premiered at the Venice Film Festival this weekend to an eight-minute standing ovation, is not, strictly speaking, a Batman movie. Joaquin Phoenix, in a sinewy, go-for-broke performance that has already earned Oscar speculation, is not playing the version of the Joker familiar to the Batman comic books nor any of his previous cinematic portrayals. While there are elements of Batman mythology on the film’s fringes, from its Gotham City setting to the presence of Bruce Wayne’s father Thomas, rewritten here as a monstrous Trump figure rather than the kindly billionaire of the comics, Joker is by all accounts a decidedly standalone entity. Indeed, its most overt connections to its source material are merely the use of messy clown make-up and a psychotic cackle. And yet, despite the lack of Batman, it’ll still be huge – and that’s potentially worrying.

Distancing itself from less ambitious DC Films entries such as Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice or Suicide Squad, Joker is closer in tone and aspiration to classic Scorsese. Both the gallows humour of The King of Comedy and the metropolitan isolation and anger of Taxi Driver have both been mentioned as the film’s clearest influences. Joker, unlike much of the modern comic-book movie genre, is also entirely a character study, a dark and violent voyage into the mind of a man left bereft by a broken society. It is exactly the kind of downbeat, character-driven and thematically ambitious studio movie that isn’t typically made anymore.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:22 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Looks like someone other than Shyamalan actually made a comic-book movie for adults.
It's called Watchmen.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
It's called Watchmen.
Never saw the movie. But if it's anything like the graphic novel, it's not for adults. It's for emo high school kids.

Alan Moore isn't deep. Alan Moore is weird.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:51 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I'm not a Batman aficionado, but the trailer looks great to me. I'd definitely watch this one. And you can't go wrong with Joaquin Phoenix.
On of the few from DC I'm excited to see. The fan boy squad in my house are losing their collective mind wanting to see it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-03-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Never saw the movie. But if it's anything like the graphic novel, it's not for adults. It's for emo high school kids.
Say what?!

Quote:
Alan Moore isn't deep. Alan Moore is weird.
Both, actually. And weird is good, buddy. Without weird, everything turns into one big borefest. (See what Feige's been up to.)

Old 09-03-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Say what?!
I hated the graphic novel. Why would I be interested in watching the movie?

Quote:
Both, actually. And weird is good, buddy. Without weird, everything turns into one big borefest. (See what Feige's been up to.)
Weird can be good. Tom Waits is weird, and Tom Waits is awesome. Weird Al is awesome. Pee Wee Herman is weird and I admit an acquired taste, but awesome nonetheless.

But weird isn't necessarily good. A jellybean burrito sounds pretty weird --- and gross. Peanut butter pizza? Weird and disgusting. Jethro Tull? Weird and bad. Jefferson Airplane? Weird and bad. Bjork? Weird and ... I don't know; jury is still out.

Alan Moore is a weirdo. If I were riding an elevator and he stepped in, I'd step out, doing my best not to touch him.

Old 09-03-2019, 02:23 PM

Dude, you're resorting to oddball food combos again. That's not weird, that's just silly. Who would eat a chorizo & jelly sandwich? Or a sardine banana split? Such textures and tastes don't pair well unless you're more porcine than human, and/or your last name is Zimmern.

I think Moore just creeps you out. That's fine. He's not for everyone. But Watchmen was and is definitely not a "for kids" tale, and for that matter, neither is the movie. But its acclaim is earned.

Old 09-06-2019, 05:14 PM

https://twitter.com/ComicBooksTalk/s...51448010420228
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies