Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 01:07 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,568,639 times

Advertisements

I saw it over the weekend. I saw Mamma Mia! when it first came out, so I watched it just a couple of weeks to refresh my memory.

I actually like Here We Go Again better.

I didn’t really like adult Donna's character, and I just enjoyed the story a little better. I thought Pierce Brosnan's vocals were better in Here We Go Again, but I thought Dominic Cooper's vocals weren’t quite when compared to the first film.

Even though I don’t really like Cher, I thought the addition of her character was hilarious, and it helped to explain Donna's actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 04:33 PM

23,657 posts, read 70,695,104 times
It may have been the theatre sound system, but I found the music in the first half of the film thin, and with the backup noticeably to the right side of the screen. More bass began being used in the end sequences, perhaps to enhance the ending and Cher. Plotwise, it was a mess. When I start daydreaming "gee, Brosnan has aged well," I know that I've lost any caring about trying to follow the plot.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:49 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,194,290 times
My wife really liked it. She went by herself.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:20 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,342,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
It may have been the theatre sound system, but I found the music in the first half of the film thin, and with the backup noticeably to the right side of the screen. More bass began being used in the end sequences, perhaps to enhance the ending and Cher. Plotwise, it was a mess. When I start daydreaming "gee, Brosnan has aged well," I know that I've lost any caring about trying to follow the plot.
yep me too.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:10 AM

19,960 posts, read 9,525,590 times
I saw this last night and HATED it!!!

It was actually a downer -- and especially after the first one. Poor (boring) storyline, lackluster songs, hardly any humor or joy, and it did not "mesh" with the original, meaning the back story (how Donna first met and hooked up with the three guys) did not coincide well in timeline or locations with what was said in the original. Also, the music sequences were jarring and some of them did not emerge "naturally", or at least as naturally as the original did, from situations, but seemed to be just interjected. (For example, in the restaurant scene where young Harry just burst into song with all the waiters after he popped onto one of the tables and just started dancing.) And the young actors did not physically resemble their older counterparts except for hair and eye color -- and not even that in the case of young Rosie. The young actors ARE talented, but the carryover actors seemed to not really be into it and enjoying it nearly as much this time, although you could tell they were trying. The only really good parts were the last ten minutes (and kudos to Cher!!!), but before that, I just kept wondering, "How much longer until this movie ends?")]

Again, just very BORING!! (In my opinion, of course!) In fact, when I got home, I had a small bowl of ice cream and rewatched the original just to get the bad taste the movie left me with out of my mouth and mind.

Last edited by katharsis; 08-12-2018 at 08:26 AM..

Old 08-22-2018, 10:32 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,497,634 times
I really loved it!!

Old 08-25-2018, 08:09 PM

13,117 posts, read 9,675,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
I saw it over the weekend. I saw Mamma Mia! when it first came out, so I watched it just a couple of weeks to refresh my memory.

I actually like Here We Go Again better.

I didn’t really like adult Donna's character, and I just enjoyed the story a little better. I thought Pierce Brosnan's vocals were better in Here We Go Again, but I thought Dominic Cooper's vocals weren’t quite when compared to the first film.

Even though I don’t really like Cher, I thought the addition of her character was hilarious, and it helped to explain Donna's actions.
Gosh, he can't sing at all.

My wife and I saw this movie a couple of weeks ago. The young Donna was quite good looking, but other than that I couldn't wait for the movie to be over. I liked the original better. Sophie was good in both.

I really like ABBA music though. Never cared that much for the story line. I've seen the live play two or three times, and each time the singers and acting have been superb.

Old 08-29-2018, 09:46 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,568,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Gosh, he can't sing at all.

My wife and I saw this movie a couple of weeks ago. The young Donna was quite good looking, but other than that I couldn't wait for the movie to be over. I liked the original better. Sophie was good in both.

I really like ABBA music though. Never cared that much for the story line. I've seen the live play two or three times, and each time the singers and acting have been superb.
I have always thought that jukebox musicals were kind of lame. I mean why wouldn’t you just listen to ABBA, the Beatles, Franke Valli and the Four Seasons etc.? The plot of Mamma Mia and Here We Go Again are fun at least.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:20 PM

455 posts, read 674,796 times
I rarely will see a movie more than once. My husband and I have seen this one 6 times...so far. Surprise, it is our favorite movie! And now we both have the soundtrack too.
First time we saw MM 2, we felt it was just ok. But..if you start watching again you will notice how well the scenes blend. Especially difficult going back and forth in time. Notice the subtle touches. Andy Garcia carrying a torch when he sees Cher. Watch how the people in the church change depending if it’s young Donna or Sophie singing.
If you don’t cry when you hear I’ve Been Waiting For You or My Love My Life you have no heart.
Never was a big Meryl Streep fan either. MM 1 was ok, but 2 is just so well done. And the new cast is fantastic. Especially Lily James.
Bjorn and Benny have written beautiful music. Don’t try to think too hard about dates and plots. Just go and enjoy!

Old 09-04-2018, 12:21 PM

4,066 posts, read 2,282,620 times
I love it too! I grew up on ABBA music so it's near and dear to my heart. I thought Lily James did an amazing job.

I took my mom and when there was that mom and daughter scene, we looked at each other and started balling, the laughing hysterically! It was a great moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies