Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 08:45 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

I didn't know they even had a few stores remaining, how the once mighty have fallen.

Who can forget the days of VHS rentals and late fees, thank goodness for technology and video streaming.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/13/us/la...rnd/index.html

Quote:
If movie-streaming seems like Goliath, Blockbuster video store owners are an industry's Davids still fighting to keep the brand alive.

This week, there are three stores remaining, but by next week there will only be one store open for business -- in Bend, Oregon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A6Aue6z8Ac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 12:14 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
All the Family Video locations around here are doing great, so Im not sure what it was about Blockbuster that caused them to fail, maybe it was the high rental fee, late fees, ?

Family Video will go under once DVDs are no longer made, but Im assuming they are trying to make as much money as they can while the DVD is still around, Blockbuster shutting down early sort of opened up the market for them.

Old 07-15-2018, 12:45 PM

651 posts, read 416,175 times
It is comfortable to have a collection of DVDs with movies you often see. Now we can buy DVDs using Internet stores.

Old 07-15-2018, 01:04 PM

727 posts, read 151,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62
All the Family Video locations around here are doing great, so Im not sure what it was about Blockbuster that caused them to fail, maybe it was the high rental fee, late fees, ?
Ya probably!

We had a late tape a couple tiems and the fees were outragous!!! (But I guess I understand why they charged the fees..... If you have a copy of the movie,that means less sales for them so they have to make up for it somehow I guess)

I wonder if that one in Oregon will eventually close?? (I wonder what they have in there .. I havent been in one in many years)

Old 07-16-2018, 12:46 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
I kind of/sort of enjoyed strolling around those video stores in search of a good movie.

Remember when you saw someone else eyeballing and reaching for the (last) movie you wanted to rent?! I miss that.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:54 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthouse View Post
Ya probably!

We had a late tape a couple tiems and the fees were outragous!!! (But I guess I understand why they charged the fees..... If you have a copy of the movie,that means less sales for them so they have to make up for it somehow I guess)

I wonder if that one in Oregon will eventually close?? (I wonder what they have in there .. I havent been in one in many years)
At Family video, with new release movies, you can get them for 2 or 5 days. Its $2.79 for 2 days and only $1.50 more for 5 days. Surprising that Blockbuster didnt play around with changing their rates and fees and just closed up shop.

I have a feeling they anticipated DVDs were not going to be made much longer, and got out before the day came, they probably regret closing all the stores down so early now though, Id imagine DVDs will still be made for probably about 3-5 more years.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:18 PM

10,355 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
...Id imagine DVDs will still be made for probably about 3-5 more years.
I don't think DVDs are going to be going away any time soon, for the same reason paper books haven't gone away with the rise of the ebook. Physical media allows you to actually own the content instead of merely borrowing it (and people are finding out the hard way that streaming services' catalogs are changing all the time, so there's no guarantee they'll have what you want t watch when you want to watch it).

Old 07-16-2018, 01:43 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
I wonder what happens to the Russell Crowe movie memorabilia at the Alaska store.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:28 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I don't think DVDs are going to be going away any time soon, for the same reason paper books haven't gone away with the rise of the ebook. Physical media allows you to actually own the content instead of merely borrowing it (and people are finding out the hard way that streaming services' catalogs are changing all the time, so there's no guarantee they'll have what you want t watch when you want to watch it).
I don’t know. Books are different because reading ebooks is such a different experience that many don’t enjoy. Reading long novels on a screen can be uncomfortable to the eyes.

With Google Chrome and similar devices, you can store all your movies on an Ipod/Iphone and project it on your TV; so it’s the exact same viewing experience less the clutter and equipment of DVDs/Bluerays.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:14 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
I wonder why it has survived so well in a place like Bend, OR.

'Why are you still here?' Inside the last Blockbuster in America
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies