Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 05:42 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,995 times

Advertisements

I don't get what the movie was trying to about. What's the theme or the message? Mainly it's about a guy who is fascinated with a woman and he keeps on being fascinated by her for the length of the movie and that's all it seems to be about, with any real theme or message to it.

Like why was this movie even made or why am I watching? Since I didn't know what to feel at all, I couldn't even bring myself to watch the ending, cause I feel need to figure out what the point of the rest of the movie is first, before I go any further.

What do you think, or can anyone tell me what I am missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 06:03 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
I've never seen a movie and had to have someone explain to me what it was I just saw in order to like it or not like it. I just made up my mind. Only one opinions counts - my own.

Spoiler
and I never say
Spoiler
never

Old 08-21-2018, 09:10 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,990 times
Read the book, it’s better.

Holly is a fragile young woman who shuts out the world and doesn’t let people get too close. She protects herself in this way from getting hurt and experiencing more loss. She doesn’t allow herself to love or be loved. She eventually realizes, thanks to Paul and cat, that it’s ok for people to belong to each other and be close and experience love (although in the book Paul is gay, so there is no romantic love between them).

Old 08-21-2018, 11:45 PM

Oh okay, well she doesn't come off as fragile, and to me she just seemed kind of stuck up, and I couldn't invest myself in her character. I didn't even know what she did for a living and she seems to be a 'sugar baby', but the movie never really got into that much it seemed.

Old 08-22-2018, 06:53 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Oh okay, well she doesn't come off as fragile, and to me she just seemed kind of stuck up, and I couldn't invest myself in her character. I didn't even know what she did for a living and she seems to be a 'sugar baby', but the movie never really got into that much it seemed.
If you didn't pick up on her fragility, then I don't think you were really watching to understand. You only picked up on "superficial" Holly ... the image she was trying to project. But there was definitely more to her. And it was pretty clear that her insecurities were just under the surface. She was really just a country bumpkin trying to pass herself off as a socialite, and trying to find a way to truly become one (like trying to marry Jose).

She didn't have a job ... she was being paid handsomely to deliver the "weather report" (really coded information about his drug ring, but she didn't realize this) to Sally Tomato in jail.

Last edited by hertfordshire; 08-22-2018 at 07:27 AM..

Old 08-22-2018, 06:57 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
Read the book, it’s better.
Yes, and beautifully written. Capote was a master storyteller.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:35 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
I have only managed to sit through the movie once, and that was one time too many.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:29 AM

3,299 posts, read 3,026,852 times
Read the book, it's quite short and it could answer some of your questions. I don't want to spoil anything here, but due to the restrictions of the time, the movie had to really gloss over a couple of major points about both Holly and Paul. That's part of the reason it doesn't make sense. Also because the filmmakers were apparently trying to make a comedy out of what is really kind of a bitter, world weary memoir.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:34 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,556,212 times
This is my wife's favorite movie. She has watched it countless times, and if it not for her I would never have seen it.
I'd like to explain it to you, but the only things that I remember about it are Mickey Rooney's cartoonish portrayal of a stereotypical chinese man that would be seen as horribly offensive today rather than funny, and a scatterbrained damsel who gets saved by a white in shining armor. That's about all I got from it.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
This is my wife's favorite movie. She has watched it countless times, and if it not for her I would never have seen it.
I'd like to explain it to you, but the only things that I remember about it are Mickey Rooney's cartoonish portrayal of a stereotypical chinese man that would be seen as horribly offensive today rather than funny, and a scatterbrained damsel who gets saved by a white in shining armor. That's about all I got from it.
This is pretty much what I got from the movie too, is a scatterbrained damsel is rescued by a night in shining armor, but I don't know what the night sees in her quite though, as in it needed to sell me more or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
Read the book, it's quite short and it could answer some of your questions. I don't want to spoil anything here, but due to the restrictions of the time, the movie had to really gloss over a couple of major points about both Holly and Paul. That's part of the reason it doesn't make sense. Also because the filmmakers were apparently trying to make a comedy out of what is really kind of a bitter, world weary memoir.
This is what I was told with other movies too. When I wasn't able to make sense of Memoirs of a Geisha, people kept telling me to read the book. But why can't movies make sense out of the stories compared to the novels though?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies