Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 10:48 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,619,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post
There's only two good western movie as far as I am concern. Dances with Wolves and The Last of the Mohicans. Everything else can go eat dirt.
Don't be clueless. Check out some of the films we've mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 12:05 PM

740 posts, read 457,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Don't be clueless. Check out some of the films we've mentioned.
I've seen many Western Movies, just not my cup of tea. Western is my least favorite genre. It's time period just doesn't float for me, with the exception of Dances with Wolves and Last of the Mohican.

Old 09-19-2018, 03:03 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post
I've seen many Western Movies, just not my cup of tea. Western is my least favorite genre. It's time period just doesn't float for me, with the exception of Dances with Wolves and Last of the Mohican.
I've never been a fan of westerns either. Older people seem to have a greater affinity for them, but I suppose that's a product of the historical context in which they grew up. My issue with westerns, and a lot of older flicks in general, is that the acting seems stiff and stilted. I generally don't enjoy older films unless they feature Marlon Brando.

I can appreciate westerns as part of the evolution of cinema, though. It seems a lot of people here enjoy them and one thing I like about this subforum is that posters seem to enjoy and discuss a wide array of genres that I'd probably never think about otherwise.

For those who are big fans of westerns, where would you tell a non-western fan who may be interested in watching one or two of them to begin?

Old 09-19-2018, 04:28 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,966,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I've never been a fan of westerns either. Older people seem to have a greater affinity for them, but I suppose that's a product of the historical context in which they grew up. My issue with westerns, and a lot of older flicks in general, is that the acting seems stiff and stilted. I generally don't enjoy older films unless they feature Marlon Brando.

I can appreciate westerns as part of the evolution of cinema, though. It seems a lot of people here enjoy them and one thing I like about this subforum is that posters seem to enjoy and discuss a wide array of genres that I'd probably never think about otherwise.

For those who are big fans of westerns, where would you tell a non-western fan who may be interested in watching one or two of them to begin?
Probably the most popular western. 97% of the audience gives it a thumbs up at RT:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the..._and_the_ugly/

No genre is for everybody. Chic flics usually make my stomach turn.

Old 09-20-2018, 04:59 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Unforgiven was actually one of my least favs of the newer westerns even tho I really wanted to like it. I really liked Silverado, Open Range, Broken Trail, Monty Walsh, etc. But I would like to see more Westerns made.
I agree with you and was so disappointed with Unforgiven that I almost consider it an Emperor's New Clothes scenario. There was no bigger Eastwood fan than I before that, and of course it was because of that that my expectations were so high. But they never were again after that. I consider Unforgiven to mark Eastwood's slide into the mediocrity of lowest-common-denominator film-making. Heartbreak Ridge was his last great film, though The Dead Pool was certainly worthwhile.

I think part of the answer to the thread title question lies in the actor pool of the modern era. In my view, they don't get any better than Gunfight At OK Corral. But what made that one great? I suppose you could rattle off a few things, but they all would be peripheral to Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas.

The great ones....the real men who made the classic western era what it was....are gone with no replacements in sight. The shoes of John Wayne, Robert Mitchum, Burt Lancaster, Kirk Douglas, Clint Eastwood (in his heyday), James Stewart, Gregory Peck, Charlton Heston, Richard Widmark, Lee Van Cleef, James Arness, just to name a few, will never be filled.

To be fair, though, perhaps the main reason for the nearly complete absence of great movies today, generally, lies with the insatiable appetite of today's audience for sheer stupidity, silliness, and unending mindless explosions.

Old 09-20-2018, 05:29 AM

10,020 posts, read 8,638,610 times
I can't sit through the newer westerns. I like the older ones like these:

Bandolero
Hombre
Nevada Smith
Culpepper Cattle Company
5 Card Stud
Hang Em High
The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid
Bad Company
Ballad Of Cable Hogue
Life & Times Of Judge Roy Bean
Once Upon A Time In The West
They Call Me Trinity
Trinity Is Still My Name
My Name Is Nobody
Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid

Old 09-20-2018, 07:23 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,128,829 times
I used to love the old westerns and watched them all the time. Then they started making movies like Silverado. After a few of the newer westerns (the ones I liked) it was hard for me to go back to many of the old ones. The acting and story lines were a little bit more hokey after getting used to the sophistication of the newer western. I still always like a good western read tho.

One thing I like about the older westerns is the general wholesomeness of them.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:49 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I used to love the old westerns and watched them all the time. Then they started making movies like Silverado. After a few of the newer westerns (the ones I liked) it was hard for me to go back to many of the old ones. The acting and story lines were a little bit more hokey after getting used to the sophistication of the newer western. I still always like a good western read tho.

One thing I like about the older westerns is the general wholesomeness of them.
Indeed. Those of us who grew up on the classic westerns, both movies and TV, learned a lot about fundamental right and wrong from them.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:03 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,279,449 times
The Western isn't dead, but it has definitely lost popularity. But just when you think it is dead, someone will come along and make a great Western again.

That said, lots of great movies and TV are essentially Westerns in a modern setting. Off the top of my head:

HELL OR HIGH WATER. Great, great movie. It is set in the modern day, but it is a Western through and through --- and one of the best I have seen in a long time.

WIND RIVER. Another great movie. Although set in the modern day, it is essentially a Western.

TRUE GRIT. All you John Wayne fanboys just can't admit this was a great movie. I got nothing against the original John Wayne version. I like it a lot. But the recent remake was far, far better and more faithful to the original book.

JUSTIFIED. One of the best TV shows of the past 10 years. Very much influenced by the Western.

LONGMIRE. I didn't fall in love with this show like lots of people did, but it was okay. Very much a modern day Western.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:52 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,128,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

JUSTIFIED. One of the best TV shows of the past 10 years. Very much influenced by the Western.

I started to mention Justified in my last post. It was one of the best series ever as far as I'm concerned and one angle of the appeal to me was the fact that it did have that certain western element to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies