Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2019, 10:40 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
********** movie and how it's tearing people apart. My best friend who has been a long time fan to youtube personalities like Tyrone Magnus and Some Black Guy says she hates them now and unsubscribed to them because they thought Captain Marvel was crap.b
People need to lighten the Francis up. It's just a movie for cryin' out loud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 10:41 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Yeah, that's true. The movie as a whole was definitely more of a comedy. More MEN IN BLACK in tone than CAPTAIN AMERICA. Since the success of the GUARDIANS movies, it seems the whole Marvel movieverse is trending that direction. It's a mistake. I'm more than a little afraid that the next AVENGERS movie is going to have Rocket Raccoon giving Thanos a wedgie.
It’s a mistake by who’s account? Marvel movies continue to make more money with each film, and many people LOVE the films that you are referencing. In all these endless back and forths, people forget that what is one man’s trash, is another’s treasure. No matter how they make a movie, there will be a contingent that loves it and a contingent that will always find something wrong with it. The box office is the final word that is saying that what they are doing has NOT been a mistake so far.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:43 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
It’s a mistake by who’s account?
Mine. Which is the only one that matters when I'm typing.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:44 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,618,718 times
"The box office is the final word," indeed. Get ready to take a bathos.

Old 03-13-2019, 12:10 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
I have teenage daughters. They are heavily into comics, super heroes, and manga. Of the girls in their classes, I'd say about half of them are into these things as well. I have made those things available to them, but I never pushed them.

Guys certainly still make up the majority of comic book nerd-dom, but there are A LOT more women and girl nerds than there used to be. Certainly far more than when I was a kid. When I was a kid, all the girls watched Wonder Woman on TV, but none of them read comics. And I do mean NONE. That's no longer the case. LOTS of girls read comics these days. I see them reading more manga than super heroes, but they're still reading.
I think the whole thing was the girls were always there, but they were never really targeted as a comic reading audience until about the X-Men/Spider-Man boom caused girls to get into the characters. A really underrated book from this time, though it has little action was Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:24 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I honestly thought it was a very solid movie. Nothing groundbreaking, but once it got going, it was highly entertaining. I went in with pretty low expectations because the previews were bland, but Brie Larson really grew on me, and the visuals were amazing. It benefited from a plot standpoint because of how much the story ties into the greater MCU and how it explains a lot in the franchise. However, I thought even evaluating it as a stand-alone movie it was good. I like how the previous didn’t spoil a lot of the actual movie. Again, it wasn’t a game-changer, but an enjoyable movie imo.
Maybe because of Clark Gregg's Agent Coulson but in the portrayal of the Kree and some of their technology it even tied into the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show.

Quote:
Saw it today. Meh. It wasn't terrible. I don't see how anyone who likes super hero movies could hate this movie. But it wasn't great. The first thirty minutes of the movie should have been entirely rewritten, and the whole movie needed a dialogue rewrite.

I'd put it up there with DOCTOR STRANGE and IRON MAN 3. Not horrible, but not a movie you're ever going to crave to see again.
I was in anti spoiler blackout for all the controversy but coming out I put it a bit above you. Into my personal will buy for my home library category. Number 11 out of 21 MCU films

Old 03-14-2019, 08:33 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Anyway back to the movie...

Saw tonight, thought it was horrible. The lead actress IMO was miscast. The storyline was ridiculous. The only good part was the cat.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:58 PM

10,456 posts, read 4,040,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post

Saw tonight, thought it was horrible. The lead actress IMO was miscast. The storyline was ridiculous. The only good part was the cat.
I agree about the actress being miscast.

I did read something that Joss Whedon was planning on introducing the character back during Age of Ultron. But for some reason, Feige interfered and said no, so it's why when you step back and realize that Carol get's her powers the same way Scarlet Witch gets hers, is because Scarlet Witch was written in as a replacement for Carol at the time. I think it's because Feige wanted to beat Fox with getting the twins on the screen before X-Man Days of Future Past did.

Been realizing that Feige has done something like this a couple of times, working the MCU around so it is in competition with a competitor. He did it with Captain America: Civil War when WB had Batman Vs Superman in the works. WB comes out with Wonder Woman, and now Feige is acting like he all woke with Captain Marvel, when in the past, he dug his heels in deep against a Black Widow movie.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:20 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I agree about the actress being miscast.

I did read something that Joss Whedon was planning on introducing the character back during Age of Ultron. But for some reason, Feige interfered and said no, so it's why when you step back and realize that Carol get's her powers the same way Scarlet Witch gets hers, is because Scarlet Witch was written in as a replacement for Carol at the time. I think it's because Feige wanted to beat Fox with getting the twins on the screen before X-Man Days of Future Past did.

Been realizing that Feige has done something like this a couple of times, working the MCU around so it is in competition with a competitor. He did it with Captain America: Civil War when WB had Batman Vs Superman in the works. WB comes out with Wonder Woman, and now Feige is acting like he all woke with Captain Marvel, when in the past, he dug his heels in deep against a Black Widow movie.
I just hope that Captain Marvel doesn't screw up Endgame. The trailer that was released this week had her in the last couple of seconds and it was sooo cringey..

Old 03-15-2019, 08:01 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
I just hope that Captain Marvel doesn't screw up Endgame. The trailer that was released this week had her in the last couple of seconds and it was sooo cringey..
Oh agree!! I didn't even think about that. Everyone else in the Marvel series is so fantastic. This is the first one I just didn't care for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies