Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2019, 04:50 PM

22,831 posts, read 28,056,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Again, why would somebody with a 10K+ post count and established presence flatter themselves by saying they were "kicking it" with a bucket of popcorn while waiting for Captain Marvel to begin...and nobody else was in the theater? It wasn't the first showing of the day, either.
^ You just answered your own question. The Internet thrives on this kind of stuff.

I don't know if it's true or not. I don't care. But it sounds more than a little fishy to me.

Quote:
If Captain Marvel, with its roughly 30% rotten/meh ratings, even scores half as much domestically as Black Panther, I'm calling bs on the Mouse.
Why was IRON MAN 3 such a huge global hit? I have no idea, because it too was a mediocre movie. TITANIC too for that matter. Is anyone really listening to Beyonce's music??? Apparently. There is no accounting for popular tastes sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 05:05 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,571,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Why was IRON MAN 3 such a huge global hit?
A: First post-Avengers movie.

Bonus answer! People like Downey so much, they don't care if the movie's central conflict adds up to Stark figuring out how to take a dump in his armor — while wearing his best pressed Armani!

Old 03-19-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I find your lack of faith in the power of the MCU disturbing
More like bewilderment. The brand retains its strength regardless of what flies off the conveyor. Hence the endless McDonald's analogies.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
More like bewilderment. The brand retains its strength regardless of what flies off the conveyor. Hence the endless McDonald's analogies.
The analogy is apt. Billions and billions served. Fun and enjoyable. But is it of high quality? No. Very little of it.

I wish the movies would aim a little higher in terms of story and character depth. But they seem pretty content to continue manufacturing McMovies.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:39 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,915,209 times
Quote:
Depends on where it is. In today's world of Fandango and half the audience buying their tickets online, 25 no-show in Burbank or NYC or Chicago is probably a pretty average day. If it's happening in Rockland, Maine or Ruidoso, New Mexico I might be a lot more suspicious.
I have AMC A-list and have reserved tickets online not knowing if I'm going to actually go to the movie or not. If I don't plan on seeing 3 movies that week, I don't bother canceling before the movie starts. I'm sure others do it as well.

My husband and I were originally going to reserve tickets to both Captain Marvel evening showings on the night it came out and just go to whichever showing ended up fitting best with our schedule. The early sold out before we got our tickets, so we only ended up reserving tickets to the late showing.

I wouldn't be surprised if others did the same. Especially since the later showing wasn't added until after advance tickets were already on sale. Some might have decided to go to a later showing after already purchasing their tickets to the original show time.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:47 PM

10,274 posts, read 3,890,107 times
Quote:
Well, if it's on the Internet, it must be true.
The way things are going, I'd trust sources from the internet than from the MSM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I find your lack of faith in the power of the MCU disturbing
I find your blind faith in the MCU just as disturbing when patterns have shown that Marvel movies after Phase one that don't have Robert Downy Jr, tend to make 600-700 million world wide. I can understand the success of Black Panther, it was definitely being hailed as a cultural phenomenon, but that phenomenon is not there for Captain Marvel. I'm calling BS on these box office numbers, because indeed, this movie should be making around the same thing as Wonder Woman or GOTG did, at the most. I definitely think there is some shady accounting practices going on.

Quote:

Why was IRON MAN 3 such a huge global hit? I have no idea, because it too was a mediocre movie. TITANIC too for that matter. Is anyone really listening to Beyonce's music??? Apparently. There is no accounting for popular tastes sometimes.
Iron-Man 3 was coming off the huge success of Avengers. But the second weekend Box office, it had dropped considerably. But, I won't lie, the foreign markets, especially China, South Korea, Japan, etc, tend to like movies with robots in them. It accounts for the success of the Transformers flicks in those regions.

Titanic, that was a true phenomenon of a movie. I can understand it's success at the time. Now, Avatar is the one that has me baffled, and makes me think James Cameron might be in on some shady accounting practices.

And, I have always questioned Beyonce's popularity. Only ones I see propping her up has been the media. I personally don't know anyone who is a fan of her, and prefer Rhianna over Beyonce. Then there is Jay Z, kind of interesting all the really great rappers are dead, and he seems to be the last one standing. I have no doubt, he has some definite blood ties to the Illuminati.

And let me guess, you believe the whole Beyonce, Taylor Swift and Kanye West debacle was legit and not planned the whole time. (What's the chance of Taylor changing her clothes backstage to wearing a dress similar to Beyonce's when Beyonce tells her to come up and give her thank you speech. The whole thing screams publicity stunt, to make Beyonce look so caring, and to raise Taylor Swift's popularity into overdrive)

Old 03-19-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
And let me guess, you believe the whole Beyonce, Taylor Swift and Kanye West debacle was legit and not planned the whole time. (What's the chance of Taylor changing her clothes backstage to wearing a dress similar to Beyonce's when Beyonce tells her to come up and give her thank you speech. The whole thing screams publicity stunt, to make Beyonce look so caring, and to raise Taylor Swift's popularity into overdrive)
I am happy to admit that I have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:07 PM

10,274 posts, read 3,890,107 times
Quote:
I am happy to admit that I have no idea what you're talking about.

Just saying, I just don't have much faith in anything to do with Hollywood being honest and legit. They have their agendas they want to push and narratives they want to control, and it's just highly suspicious that Captain Marvel is making so much money when it just so happens to be neck deep in the "me too" and "women rule, #$%^&# yeah" moment.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:26 PM

28,563 posts, read 18,566,859 times
Quote:
Actually, it is multiple sources, because I'm not referring to that article only.
Care to cite those so I can investigate myself? Sometimes it takes a bit of burrowing to discern for sure whether more than one source is involved.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:34 PM

Sure, search the forums at https://forums.superherohype.com/ and https://community.cbr.com/forumdisplay.php?22-TV-Film

Careful, one or the other or both can be a rabbit hole, depending on how slow the workday is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies