Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 07:26 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Who wants to see a movie based on the life of J.K Rowling? Stephen King? Dan Brown? No one. They can crank out the bestsellers but they lead lives that, while I'm sure they find satisfying, aren't exactly the stuff of cinema.

Rare is the author about whom we want to see a dramatization of their life... unless they led an interesting life beyond their writing. Think Hemingway or London or Twain.
Well I saw the movie Hitchcock (2012), which is about Hitchcock. His life was probably boring but they made a movie out of it, and added entertaining aspects to his life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
But what would the movie be about, her reading and watching twilight over and over again and then getting on the computer and writing fan fiction? It doesn't sound like too good of a drama.
But you can say this about other true stories too. I like the movie Frost/Nixon, which is about a TV interview that happened. I thought to myself "how are they going to make a movie about an interview interesting? And they still did cause they used their imaginations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 07:46 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Hitchcock was more interesting on his days off than James could ever dream of being in her whole life. For one thing, he was actually a gifted director and filmmaker whose works were imaginative and carefully crafted. He was iconic. Recognizable just by his silhouette. She slopped a bunch of repetitive sex scenes onto paper. No comparison.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:27 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Hopefully this isnt the feauture length film you were planning to make, OP.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:48 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Hitchcock was more interesting on his days off than James could ever dream of being in her whole life. For one thing, he was actually a gifted director and filmmaker whose works were imaginative and carefully crafted. He was iconic. Recognizable just by his silhouette. She slopped a bunch of repetitive sex scenes onto paper. No comparison.
This!

Old 09-28-2018, 11:21 AM

50,794 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Well I saw the movie Hitchcock (2012), which is about Hitchcock. His life was probably boring but they made a movie out of it, and added entertaining aspects to his life.

But you can say this about other true stories too. I like the movie Frost/Nixon, which is about a TV interview that happened. I thought to myself "how are they going to make a movie about an interview interesting? And they still did cause they used their imaginations.
Hitchcock was a sadist he wasn’t just the normal vanilla person. They didnt just make up all that stuff about him. You cant just make up things about a person that can be corroborated or that can be found to be untrue by people who are still alive and who dealt with him. The accounts of Hitchcock’s many idiosyncrasies were Hollywood legend years before this movie was made.

Old 09-28-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:

Using their imaginations it’s not the same as making things up. How are you going to make up things about a television interview that still exists on film?

You can make the true things a bit more colorful yes. But you can’t simply make things up. You can’t say someone had an abusive parent when they did not for instance.

Old 09-28-2018, 04:15 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Not a documentary but an actual biographical drama with actors. I just find it fascinating how she wrote a fanfiction based on her fantasies, as I read, and how it became such a best selling series.

I think that maybe it could make for an interesting movie about an average person who finds success like The Social Network, or The Disaster Artist.

Or maybe there is not enough material there, for a whole movie? What do you think?
I agree. It will probably take another 25-30 years, though.

Old 09-29-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Using their imaginations it’s not the same as making things up. How are you going to make up things about a television interview that still exists on film?

You can make the true things a bit more colorful yes. But you can’t simply make things up. You can’t say someone had an abusive parent when they did not for instance.
But they do make up things all the time in Hollywood about true stories. I mentioned Hysteria. In that movie, Mortimer Granville tries to save his love interest from having to undergo a court ordered surgery, but in real history, this never happened in his life, and it was done for purely cinematic purposes.

When The Social Network came out, Mark Zuckerberg complained how a lot of the movie was made up and not true, so it seems to happen still.

Old 09-29-2018, 03:22 PM

okay is what are you planning to make up? You realize if you try to present it as biography but make things up out of whole cloth, she can sue you? Also you’re not going to be able to make any sort of true story about a living person without interviewing her. You can’t just Wikipedia her and get facts about her childhood and how she thinks and who she is as a person.

Hysteria was presented as “based on true events” it wasn’t biographical.

It is small things Zuckerberg complained about, such as who he was and wasn’t dating at the time. You still can’t make things up that are significant such as she was abused, she went to orgies, to make her seem interesting. So what was your plan to embellish, and what would be your plan to research her life?

Old 09-29-2018, 07:57 PM

Oh I wasn't going to write it, I just thought it would make for an interesting movie perhaps, if done well.

Why didn't Zuckerberg sue then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies