Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 01:52 PM

29,168 posts, read 22,137,026 times

Advertisements

I saw Keanu in a supporting role as a middle-aged psychologist, and thought he did a good job in the part.

Reeves kind of reminds me of Paul Newman; a good looking guy who's a pretty good actor, and was typecast for some time. Newman got typecast as a brooding loner, and Keanu was typecast as a naive goofball. Both did a lot of action roles.

Keanu doesn't seem to be ruffled by celebrity. I think as he ages, he'll transition into roles that fit him just as Newman did. I enjoy his movies, so I hope so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 10:50 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,930,525 times
The Devil's Advocate with Keanu and Al Pacino are on Netflix now. Saw it in '98 and enjoyed it.

Old 10-13-2018, 12:34 PM

26,574 posts, read 26,433,288 times
I've admired Keanu Reeves for years, and still laugh my head off thinking of him in "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure."

Old 10-13-2018, 02:38 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,035,992 times
His best movies in my opinion are Point Break and Speed, and I think he gave his best performances in them as well, but they were also his best scripted I would say.

Old 10-13-2018, 03:31 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,930,525 times
Does anybody not own The Matrix? Every time I look at used DVDs there are copies of The Matrix.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:49 AM

1,766 posts, read 1,667,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Does anybody not own The Matrix? Every time I look at used DVDs there are copies of The Matrix.

I have not actually ever watched any of the Matrix movies. So, yes, there is one person out there that doesn't own the movie and who actually hasn't even seen it (or them, since I believe there are 3 of them).

Old 10-15-2018, 12:57 PM

6,031 posts, read 6,078,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
I have not actually ever watched any of the Matrix movies. So, yes, there is one person out there that doesn't own the movie and who actually hasn't even seen it (or them, since I believe there are 3 of them).
The first Matrix is, and was, groundbreaking cinema and effects. My dad liked it, 70 at the time, so do give it a go. Sometimes a film comes along and breaks all the rules...that was the Matrix. Now, some of the "tropes" pioneered there are seen everyone. But back then...put yourself in that mindset.

Part II and III are...let's just say, my life would be better had I never seen them. Had they never even existed, tying up loose ends better left open. There are stunning scenes in each, of course, "almost' making each worth it. I'd leave those alone, though.

I'm puzzled how someone could "not" like the first one. Just watched the first thirty minutes of it in my home office in the background, after having seen it probably twenty times in my life. It draws one in, and doesn't let go until the first (major) twist c. 1/3 mark: Red Pill, Blue Pill. From there...

Scene stealers are Carrie-Anne Moss, mostly for her almost supernaturally perfect looks for the role (I don't think she "acts" per se). Hugo Weaving, for-sure, as best villain ever. Keeanu Reeves, not so much: could have been frankly anyone playing that role. Lawrence Fishburne is also excellent, with his peculiar gravitas as something of a "sage" throughout.

So yes: as this thread segues a bit: 1) watch the Matrix, you won't regret that two hours of your life back. 2) do so on a 4K or other high def TV, bigger than better, enjoy the unusual cinematography and editing.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:47 PM

50,125 posts, read 23,785,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
Two.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:38 PM

2,329 posts, read 1,376,033 times
His latest movie gets a .5 star rating?? Ouch. Definitely a rental at best.

Replicas Review: Copy Error

https://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/r...-movie-review/
Attached Thumbnails
The future of Keanu Reeves?-872ed89e-cd2f-4c07-940d-7f2d345d962e.jpeg  

Old 01-14-2019, 08:28 PM

29,168 posts, read 22,137,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I saw Keanu in a supporting role as a middle-aged psychologist, and thought he did a good job in the part.

Reeves kind of reminds me of Paul Newman; a good looking guy who's a pretty good actor, and was typecast for some time. Newman got typecast as a brooding loner, and Keanu was typecast as a naive goofball. Both did a lot of action roles.

Keanu doesn't seem to be ruffled by celebrity. I think as he ages, he'll transition into roles that fit him just as Newman did. I enjoy his movies, so I hope so.
I think so too.
Keanu is a bankable movie star; he never wins awards, but his movies always make money, and he chooses his parts very well.

He reminds me of Paul Newman quite a lot in that way. Newman's abilities as an actor weren't realized by the Academy for a very long time. The Oscar he won was an apology for being passed up the year before for a better role that should have won one for him.

Neither Newman nor Reeves paid much attention to their celebrity. Keanu has kept his private life private quite well, and always has. But as an actor, I've appreciated his abilities for quite a while. I saw the same movie you did, and Keanu sure did an excellent job playing a psychologist.

I suspect he won't ever get offered some roles that will ever show his depth, though; Newman got some roles in his early career that allowed him to play a slimeball, various shady characters, and a villain once in a while, and they really contrasted with the roles where his genial and generous natural personality could be displayed.

So far, Keanu has always been cast as a good guy. I think he needs to play a real rotten character a couple of times to give his career some really long legs that can allow him to keep going after age takes away all his action roles. Playing against the stereotype has saved many an aging actor's career.

But Keanu seems to still be pretty happy playing the bass in his long-time rock band when he isn't working as an actor. Maybe if the movie roles stop coming, continuing his acting career isn't all that important to him or his life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies