Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 07:32 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Disney just showing they don't have any creativity anymore since Walt died. They either copy from obscure movies, books and TV, remake their own stuff, or just buy out companies and remake their stuff.
I don't think that's true. The Disney company has the size and depth to make any kind of movies they want, and they do release some highly creative flicks under the titles of the smaller production studios they own.

But the Disney name on a movie comes with a lot of constraints. It's such a well-known name for family fare that a really adults-only movie released as a Disney would cause a stockholder's revolt and turn away their audiences.
Diisney's huge size gives them a lot of creativity, but it also gives the company a lot of weight to carry as a corporation. So, just like the other studios, anything carrying the Disney name is going to have to be a big-budget film that swings for the fences.

The Lion King was a tremendous hit for them in animation, but that animation looks very dated now, and flat animated drawings no longer can pack a house like full 3-D animation does. Disney learned that very well from the success of Avatar and from their own success in re-doing The Jungle Book.

The Lion King re-do just makes good financial sense. And if it is as good as the trailers promise it to be, it may be an even better movie than the first one.

For a fact, Walt's creativity almost brought him and his company down to bankruptcy repeatedly. After Snpw White, every animated full-length feature Walt supervised was a flop, and each drew less money than the last.

If one goes back and watches those classics to see why they failed, it's pretty easy to see.

Pinoccio was a rotten little liar who got everyone into trouble, and the trouble was horrifying for a small child.

Dumbo scared little kids and made them cry when Dumbo was taken away from his mother and forced to look foolish.

Hunters shot Bambi's mother. No child even wants to think about their mother dying. Neither do adults.

Alice in Wonderland was a bad acid trip that was also scary as hell.

Only Sleeping Beauty was a money-making hit. And it came after a very long and expensive run of one failure after another.

Fantasia was overblown, high-falutin', snooty, pretentious and boring. Art students loved it, but everone else snoozed halfway through. The only sequence in it, with old stand-by Mickey, was a last minute addition of a short that was already finished. It's the only thing most people remember about the film.

The repeated failures of his animated movies and their rising costs are why Disney turned to live action films in the 1950s, and they made enough money to keep Walt afloat. When ABC picked up Disneyland, none of the classics were shown; only Disney's older cartoon shorts, and they became the company's breadwinners again.

And once Disneyland obsessed Walt, the company was left with no leadership to direct where the movies' direction was to take. So the movie staff simply chose the safest material for families possible.

Walt was a visionary, but he was no creative genius. He hired a few, but his own creations were too dark, too mean-spirited, and far too scary to be hits as family movies for the times they were made.

His long string of flops scared the corporation so badly the Disney studio didn't even make another full-length animated feature until nearly 20 years after his death. And that one had nothing that would scare the pants off a child in it.

The Disney corporation has some massive creativity within it. The creativity is just kept within strict boundaries. Never forget that the movie business is always business first, creativity second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 07:41 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I don't think that's true. The Disney company has the size and depth to make any kind of movies they want, and they do release some highly creative flicks under the titles of the smaller production studios they own.

But the Disney name on a movie comes with a lot of constraints. It's such a well-known name for family fare that a really adults-only movie released as a Disney would cause a stockholder's revolt and turn away their audiences.
Diisney's huge size gives them a lot of creativity, but it also gives the company a lot of weight to carry as a corporation. So, just like the other studios, anything carrying the Disney name is going to have to be a big-budget film that swings for the fences.

The Lion King was a tremendous hit for them in animation, but that animation looks very dated now, and flat animated drawings no longer can pack a house like full 3-D animation does. Disney learned that very well from the success of Avatar and from their own success in re-doing The Jungle Book.

The Lion King re-do just makes good financial sense. And if it is as good as the trailers promise it to be, it may be an even better movie than the first one.

For a fact, Walt's creativity almost brought him and his company down to bankruptcy repeatedly. After Snpw White, every animated full-length feature Walt supervised was a flop, and each drew less money than the last.

If one goes back and watches those classics to see why they failed, it's pretty easy to see.

Pinoccio was a rotten little liar who got everyone into trouble, and the trouble was horrifying for a small child.

Dumbo scared little kids and made them cry when Dumbo was taken away from his mother and forced to look foolish.

Hunters shot Bambi's mother. No child even wants to think about their mother dying. Neither do adults.

Alice in Wonderland was a bad acid trip that was also scary as hell.

Only Sleeping Beauty was a money-making hit. And it came after a very long and expensive run of one failure after another.

Fantasia was overblown, high-falutin', snooty, pretentious and boring. Art students loved it, but everone else snoozed halfway through. The only sequence in it, with old stand-by Mickey, was a last minute addition of a short that was already finished. It's the only thing most people remember about the film.

The repeated failures of his animated movies and their rising costs are why Disney turned to live action films in the 1950s, and they made enough money to keep Walt afloat. When ABC picked up Disneyland, none of the classics were shown; only Disney's older cartoon shorts, and they became the company's breadwinners again.

And once Disneyland obsessed Walt, the company was left with no leadership to direct where the movies' direction was to take. So the movie staff simply chose the safest material for families possible.

Walt was a visionary, but he was no creative genius. He hired a few, but his own creations were too dark, too mean-spirited, and far too scary to be hits as family movies for the times they were made.

His long string of flops scared the corporation so badly the Disney studio didn't even make another full-length animated feature until nearly 20 years after his death. And that one had nothing that would scare the pants off a child in it.

The Disney corporation has some massive creativity within it. The creativity is just kept within strict boundaries. Never forget that the movie business is always business first, creativity second.
But this is a different age.

Those animations that were too dark to be moneymakers back then are revered today. Revamping them with modern techniques is a good bet--as has already been demonstrated.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:50 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,238,298 times
I liked it. It was cute!

Old 07-25-2019, 08:15 AM

661 posts, read 2,896,769 times
Beautiful! I'm so glad I saw it on the big screen. It was spectacular.

Old 07-26-2019, 06:25 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Beautiful animation or whatever you want to.call it, BUT would it pain the scriptwriters to change things. This is the second Favreau directed Disney "live-action movie" I didn't like. Granted The Lion King was much better than The Jungle Book, but I found a similar complaint between the two, too close to the original. I'll give Jungle Book credit that it added the whole be afraid of man's fire commentary (too on the nose preachy for me) but Lion King seemingly only changed a few things and have a Timon that felt flat to me, even if the voice actor intended to be different from Nathan Lane. At least Seth Rogen was a great Pumba that took his own spin on the Ernie Sebella performance. The only two changes was Zazu not being captured and Nala's departure scene. The rest was too on the nose the same for me. Mind you I loved Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and even the first Alice in Wonderland remake for adding to the story. This didn't.

Old 07-26-2019, 06:32 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Proof that you can't make everyone happy. People complain if they change anything; people complain if they don't change anything.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Proof that you can't make everyone happy. People complain if they change anything; people complain if they don't change anything.
The problem is they didn't change enough. If it wasn't for AMC Stubs A-List I would be mad about spending my money on it. It was a free movie basically.

Old 07-26-2019, 11:31 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The problem is they didn't change enough. If it wasn't for AMC Stubs A-List I would be mad about spending my money on it. It was a free movie basically.
My point is that if they changed enough to satisfy you, someone else would have complained that they changed too much.

Old 07-26-2019, 11:11 PM

3,837 posts, read 1,787,299 times
I saw it last week, while visually it was stunning I didn't think the narrators they chose were right for this film. Except James Earl Jones did fantastic as Mufasa and Seth Rogen who played Pumba.

Old 07-27-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
I saw it last week, while visually it was stunning I didn't think the narrators they chose were right for this film. Except James Earl Jones did fantastic as Mufasa and Seth Rogen who played Pumba.
James Earl Jones IS Mufasa. Bean as Zazu was fine but who cares about Zazu?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies