Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 03:42 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,066,827 times

Advertisements

Well I think that giving us more depth with Jenny is more important than giving Forrest a reason to talk to complete strangers on a bench perhaps.

I think she did love him too though. I think if she was just using him they would have directed the ending with a totally different tone. I know people say it's up the viewer to interpret things however they want to, but to me that comes off as lazy on the writer's part if the writer just tells the audience to think whatever they want in the end. I think the writer wants the characters interpreted it a certain way, rather than the audience choosing whatever they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 03:54 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,553,199 times
I think Forrest went running to deal with his grief over Jenny not wanting to be with him. His pea brain huge heart couldn't fathom being with anyone else, so he figured he would be alone for the rest of his life. Jenny was an intelligent beautiful woman paralyzed by her traumatic childhood. She was not in any way suited to be Forrest's spouse. She had sex with Forrest because she understood what it would mean to him and that if she didn't he would die a virgin. When she became terminally ill she then turned her entire attention onto this child that her and Forrest concieved and did what she needed to do.
Why is this so hard to understand? No, she never "loved" Forrest romantically. No, she didn't suddenly realize all this time that they were meant to be together. Jebus.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:57 PM

Well I think the reason why I don't understand it that way, is mainly cause how the director chose to present it to us. He presented it as a Cinderella story climax, rather than an ends justifies the means facade.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Well I think the reason why I don't understand it that way, is mainly cause how the director chose to present it to us. He presented it as a Cinderella story climax, rather than an ends justifies the means facade.
These were extremely unusual circumstances. Were you an abused child? have you ever been given a year to live? It all made sense to me, sorry it was so confusing to you. Forrest's life was both victorious and heartbreaking, that's what made it a great movie.
I still think Quiz show and Pulp fiction were better.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:27 PM

I'm not saying that Jenny's decisions didn't make sense given her past. I am just saying that the filmmakers chose to give us a happy ending tone, that didn't fit with her decisions, if that was the case.

If she was just using Forrest so he would take care of her kid, than that is a much more bleak ending. If this is the case, then why do people treat this like it's a feel good movie, if it was actually ending on such a bleak note?

Old 12-12-2018, 04:36 PM

29,210 posts, read 22,341,507 times
Quote:
I'm not saying that Jenny's decisions didn't make sense given her past. I am just saying that the filmmakers chose to give us a happy ending tone, that didn't fit with her decisions, if that was the case.

If she was just using Forrest so he would take care of her kid, than that is a much more bleak ending. If this is the case, then why do people treat this like it's a feel good movie, if it was actually ending on such a bleak note?
The ending wasn't bleak!
Forrest loved his perfect son deeply, and his son loved him back deeply. They were both happy, as was the old lady who was still driving the school bus.

You must have missed the finals scene of the movie to have missed all of that. Jenny knew all that would happen when she left. That's why she left. She avoided the bleak ending that you constructed in your head by doing so.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:37 PM

No I saw the finale scene, but it feels more bleak to me, if she was just using him cause now she dumped a kid on him under using love as a facade, so it feels more bleak to me, if that was the true ending. Plus if Jenny was just using Forrest as a facade, then it makes her more of a scummy character, so that also makes it feel more bleak, as we do not feel for Forrest when he is at her grave knowing that she was just using him then.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
No I saw the finale scene, but it feels more bleak to me, if she was just using him cause now she dumped a kid on him under using love as a facade, so it feels more bleak to me, if that was the true ending. Plus if Jenny was just using Forrest as a facade, then it makes her more of a scummy character, so that also makes it feel more bleak, as we do not feel for Forrest when he is at her grave knowing that she was just using him then.
So now that you understand Jenny's character you have decided she is scum. Other people who have empathy and don't judge those unless they have walked in their shoes don't make such harsh judgments.
With all of these threads you have made asking others to explain movies to you I'm thinking you have some some sort of adhd disorder or something that prevents you from understanding human interaction and feelings. That, or maybe you are an alien?

Old 12-12-2018, 05:25 PM

Oh sorry I was just asking about the movie.

I guess I don't think a person should be allowed to use people, just because they have had bad past experiences. It's not a license to use and manipulate, and felt if that was the case, why was I suppose to have empathy for her, if she is just use and manipulate as a result. Plus since we are not allowed to judge movie characters? We do that all the time, and judge characters for whenever they wrong other characters. Are we not allowed to judge characters in fiction anymore?

Last edited by ironpony; 12-12-2018 at 05:41 PM..

Old 12-12-2018, 06:25 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,255,215 times
You do get that it's fiction, right? Sometimes there are characters that fly, become invisible, and burst into flame whenever they want. You might want to avoid those, I don't think you could handle it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies