Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 09:46 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That doesn't make me like the design any better.
I didn't object to the design in and of itself. But I agree that it was in sharp contrast to every other character design in the movie, except for Spider-Ham. Fisk seemed out of place.

Did I miss something in the movie itself, or were these plot threads left dangling?

1. The spider that bit Miles. Where did it come from? The bad guys were opening doors into other dimensions. They weren't genetically modifying spiders. Why was it hanging out down in an abandoned subway tunnel to bite Miles?

2. What happened to Green Goblin? He gets knocked out and never once comes back into the story. Did I miss something?

3. In the first half of the movie, Miles and Spidey are able to infiltrate the bad guys' secret lab through the abandoned subway tunnels. But later in the movie, they have an elaborate plan to get in through a dinner party. Why??? Why not just use their first route?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 09:50 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I didn't object to the design in and of itself. But I agree that it was in sharp contrast to every other character design in the movie, except for Spider-Ham. Fisk seemed out of place.

Did I miss something in the movie itself, or were these plot threads left dangling?

1. The spider that bit Miles. Where did it come from? The bad guys were opening doors into other dimensions. They weren't genetically modifying spiders. Why was it hanging out down in an abandoned subway tunnel to bite Miles?
Wasn't really explained, except that it was in an Alchemax building, and they do such bad things that even their geeks are armed in the company cafeteria, so....

Quote:
2. What happened to Green Goblin? He gets knocked out and never once comes back into the story. Did I miss something?
Aunt May had already banned him from ever coming back to her house because he refused to use coasters.

Quote:
3. In the first half of the movie, Miles and Spidey are able to infiltrate the bad guys' secret lab through the abandoned subway tunnels. But later in the movie, they have an elaborate plan to get in through a dinner party. Why??? Why not just use their first route?
[/quote]

Because when they saw how the waiters were dressed, it just seemed easier and more fun.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:48 AM

10,355 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
That doesn't make me like the design any better.
No, you don't have to like it (taste is personal, after all). But I liked it - and I especially liked the way the film went out of its way to be the complete opposite of the pseudo-3D "animated movie that almost looks REAL!!" style of animation which has come to dominate film screens in recent years. The visual style is anything but realistic. Beautiful, oh God yes, but the complete opposite of realistic - and it's a better film for that.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Wasn't really explained, except that it was in an Alchemax building, and they do such bad things that even their geeks are armed in the company cafeteria, so....
The spider had 42 on it, and 42 kept coming up throughout the movie. I kept wondering if that would prove significant, or if the writers are simply Douglas Adams fans.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
The spider had 42 on it, and 42 kept coming up throughout the movie. I kept wondering if that would prove significant, or if the writers are simply Douglas Adams fans.
Well, I think 42 indicates that a good number of deliberate experiments had been done on spiders (as opposed to a spider being accidentally irradiated). So Peter Parker may have been bitten by "spider experiment #2" while Miles was bitten by "spider experiment #42." Hence, Miles has a couple more powers.

But there is also this:

The genetically modified spider that gives Miles Morales his powers has the #42 on it, this is straight out of his Ultimate Spider-Man comics origin, as is the stuff about Miles getting into the private school due to winning a lottery.

Quote:
But as Jeremiah reminded us down in the comments, #42 was worn by Jackie Robinson, the first black man to play in Major League Baseball. And the team he played for? That would be the Brooklyn Dodgers. While Miles (AND his dad) are both too young to remember a time when the Dodgers played in Brooklyn, Miles is a Brooklyn boy (as opposed to Peter's Queens background), so this is significant, and probably not accidental. And if you need any additional Marvel connections, Chadwick Boseman (Black Panther himself) played Robinson in the film, 42. The movie is OK, but if you really want to learn more about Jackie Robinson (and you should), there's a Ken Burns documentary about him.
https://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/...el-easter-eggs

Old 01-04-2019, 05:51 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,618,718 times
Quote:
Well, I think 42 indicates that a good number of deliberate experiments had been done on spiders (as opposed to a spider being accidentally irradiated). So Peter Parker may have been bitten by "spider experiment #2" while Miles was bitten by "spider experiment #42." Hence, Miles has a couple more powers.

But there is also this:

The genetically modified spider that gives Miles Morales his powers has the #42 on it, this is straight out of his Ultimate Spider-Man comics origin, as is the stuff about Miles getting into the private school due to winning a lottery.

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/...el-easter-eggs
Bleah. There should be only one Spider-Man.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
So what are you saying? You're rejecting the multiverse concept?

Old 01-04-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
I can see both sides and have a hard time getting too worked up about either one.

I'm all for more ethnically diverse super heroes. But I'd much rather see *original heroes than simply retconning existing super heroes. Peter Parker is Spider-Man. I agree.

On the other hand, I read the Miles Morales comics and loved them. Great stories. And I liked this movie BY FAR more than any of the previous Spidey flicks. And at the end of the day, that's all that matters: Was it a great story?

*NOTE: And the thing is, Marvel has them. Want a Japanese super hero? Sunfire has been around since the '70s. Want a Hispanic super hero? Firebird / La Espirita has been around since the '80s --- and is a VERY different take on super heroes than anything we've seen onscreen so far.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
I can see both sides and have a hard time getting too worked up about either one.

I'm all for more ethnically diverse super heroes. But I'd much rather see *original heroes than simply retconning existing super heroes. Peter Parker is Spider-Man. I agree.

On the other hand, I read the Miles Morales comics and loved them. Great stories. And I liked this movie BY FAR more than any of the previous Spidey flicks. And at the end of the day, that's all that matters: Was it a great story?

*NOTE: And the thing is, Marvel has them. Want a Japanese super hero? Sunfire has been around since the '70s. Want a Hispanic super hero? Firebird / La Espirita has been around since the '80s --- and is a VERY different take on super heroes than anything we've seen onscreen so far.
I agree, and I've said so before in these superhero threads. Actually, I even said it earlier in this thread.

OTOH, I saw this movie and I loved Miles Morales and how they introduced him in a different universe, getting a hand and a sendoff from the "original" (616--it showed his universe right on Doc Ock's monitor) Spider-man. I'm not sure I'd call that a "retcon" done in that fashion. They way they did it is more like the X-Men getting a new mutant in the group.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:04 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
I thought I was going to a ho-hum animation. Couldn’t figure out why 15 yr old son with autism was so insistent. He even broke his own protocol of seeing a movie on the day after release.

This time; we saw it on 1st day out. Very unusual; he only sees movies in theatres on day two, a 5 year ritual.

I was blown away. Before we left home, out of the corner of my eye I noticed “Rotten Tomatoes: 97%” & I thought it was a mistake.

It wasn’t a mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies