Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2019, 06:50 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Who can forget The Prince With A Thousand Enemies?
The new miniseries almost did. El ahrairah is mentioned here and there, but in a very offhand way. You don't get the sense of wonder and majesty of the rabbit mythology that comes through in the novel. Even the 1978 movie managed to capture that element far better.

The 1978 movie also REALLY captured the terrifying menace of Woundwort. The new miniseries fails utterly in this. He's just a rather grumpy thug of a rabbit, not the maniacal Churchill that he was in the book and old movie.

Even though I certainly had issues with the 1978 movie, it is a far, far, FAR better adaptation of the novel than the recent miniseries.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 08:32 AM

28,663 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The new miniseries almost did. El ahrairah is mentioned here and there, but in a very offhand way. You don't get the sense of wonder and majesty of the rabbit mythology that comes through in the novel. Even the 1978 movie managed to capture that element far better.
The 1978 movie also REALLY captured the terrifying menace of Woundwort. The new miniseries fails utterly in this. He's just a rather grumpy thug of a rabbit, not the maniacal Churchill that he was in the book and old movie.

Even though I certainly had issues with the 1978 movie, it is a far, far, FAR better adaptation of the novel than the recent miniseries.[/quote]

Totally true in all aspects.

And even if they didn't want to show as much blood, they should still have shown as much death.

They neglected, for instance, to show the instantaneousness of the rabbit snatched by the hawk (or was that an owl?). That was a very important marker in demonstrating how precarious their existence was, and that indicated how dangerous and truly desperate their migration was. It was no lark, and this movie failed to show that.

When one rabbit killed another, it was just a couple of thumps (or even just one) and the rabbit laid down...dead we presume, but, dang, rabbits sure died easily.

In the 78 movie, a rabbit murder took a hard, bloody, terrible beating. They could have removed the blood, but it should have still taken a hard, terrible beating.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:42 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Watership Down was the first big novel I read. I read it six times as a kid. I loved it.

I do not remember the 1978 movie very well other than I found it disappointing. It did make me go abck and read the novel again.

I just watched the new miniseries yesterday and I loved it as did my wife (A librarian and a big fan of W.D. as a kid as well). It brought the book back to me as if I had read it yesterday. I was disappointed in some of the things that were left out, but it still made me happy to watch it. Maybe I will go re-read the novel once again.

No movie or TV show can rival a novel, but this was a decent adaptation of the story. It was a bit short and left out a lot of detail, but then if it had all the detail, no one would watch it all the way through.

I did not like Plague dogs or Shardick quite as much as Watership Down. In fact I have completely forgotten about Shardick until this thread and I do not remember the plague dogs story. I will look for the movie or miniseries.

Iwas just realizing that do not read much anymore. I read all day for work. I have to wear reading glasses and it is still a strain for me. It makes me tired. When I am not working, I want to rest or do chores or do active things. I do nto want to read and nto get paid for it anymroe.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:53 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,381,571 times
So far I've watched three episodes of Watership Down on Netflix. And while I agree that it could have been done better in many aspects, I am thoroughly enjoying it so far. I did notice right away that they toned down graphic images/deaths quite a bit, which I sort of expected for a tv version (even if it is Netflix, and not mainstream television). Visually, I find the scenery very well done; the movements of the rabbits as they hop and run, not very good at all...jointed, stilted...weird.

It's been a great many years since I saw the original Watership Down movie, and even longer since I read the novel. So if I were more up-to-date on both, perhaps I'd be more disappointed...but for now, I do like the Netflix version, although that could possibly change once I've watched all of the episodes. And when the movie was released in 1978, I had a very special rabbit way back then (who I'd actually named after Fiver, one of the main characters) and I lost him just before the movie was released. So, when 'Bright Eyes' played during the original movie after Hazel's death, I was completely devastated.

[A bit biased as well....I'm a tried-and-true rabbit lover, raised, showed, and had rabbits as indoor pets for many, many years...so whenever something does come along that involves the ever-fascinating lagomorph, I'm all in.]

Old 01-02-2019, 10:44 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,614,820 times
Quote:

Even though I certainly had issues with the 1978 movie, it is a far, far, FAR better adaptation of the novel than the recent miniseries.
Truly pathetic.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:19 PM

27,142 posts, read 13,434,325 times
Quote:
Watched this over the holiday. Meh.

The animation was consistently brown, unclear, and uninteresting. I know computer animation is all the rage these days, but when it looks this bad, why bother?

I will say this in its favor: They didn't cutesy it up or strive for a G-rating. But they didn't make it very interesting either. Whereas the novel is perfectly paced, by trying to cram multiple chapters into a single episode, the pacing of the mini-series is ... off. Long stretches are actually kinda boring, and if you haven't read the novel, you might have a hard time understanding what's going on. My wife, who has read it, was lost in a few places because she hasn't read the novel in a long, long time.

I'm actually not a big fan of the 1978 animated movie. Still, it was far better than the new one. Neither capture the grandeur and pathos of the novel.
This BBC/Netflix version was watered down, perhaps it should have been called watered ship downed.

Some of the violence was cut, although I question whether it was right for the BBC to screen it just before Christmas, as it's hardly jolly festive stuff. I am also fairly sure the BBC received a fair few complaints.

I have no problems with Adam's books which I liked, it was just the timing of the tv series release that I think was wrong.

The series was okay, just as the film was, but then again doing justice to the book is very difficult.

As for the BBC is currently screening it's new costume drama mini series Les Misérables, which seems to be receiving decent reviews. It's not another musical version thankfully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies