Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2019, 11:20 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,120,087 times

Advertisements

A couple of months back, I heard that the Netflicks film VERONICA was the scariest film ever according to various critic and twitter ratings. I watched it, and it was a well-made film, scary enough for 13 year old girls, but really nothing truly chilling in it at all. Just a forgettable little film.

Now I watch BIRD BOX, having heard similar things about it, and this one was damned poor. Again, professionally made, but not even passable in terms being good horror fiction, mostly recycling tropes from zombie fiction, but with a silly, indefinable adversary.

So my question here is: does Netflicks put out/pay for fake hype? I know I will not be watching any more Netficks original horrors. Fool me once, shame on you....etc.

No spoilers on the actual movies except one for Cat Box...er...Bird Box. Apparently, not a single one of the morons in the movie have read THE ODYSSEY, because then they would have know to tie up the character that wanted to look so that he could not "jump in the ocean" so to speak. They could have ascertained if the madness was permanent or had a half-life, asked for insights into what he saw, etc. Maybe the guy would have even built up an immunity over time. It actually would have been a hell of a lot more interesting than what happenned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 08:25 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,939,880 times
Every film company hypes up there film this has been going on since movies first appeared.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:33 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,135,767 times
I know that Netflex has changed its method of the customer rating system. Instead of rating each movie or series using the star method, it has adopted a thumbs up or down method, which I'm not happy with because you can only rate the video good or bad instead of rating them from one star to five. For me anyway, most movies in the last 20 years stink.

Old 01-13-2019, 09:54 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
OP, just because you didn't like these movies, doesn't mean millions of other people feel the same way. There are many great movies that you may personally not like.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:36 AM

4,660 posts, read 4,120,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
OP, just because you didn't like these movies, doesn't mean millions of other people feel the same way. There are many great movies that you may personally not like.
A simple google search would show you that lots of other people agree. Even checking out a couple of threads in this forum. But hey, it is much more fun to play the scolding school marm.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:21 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
A simple google search would show you that lots of other people agree. Even checking out a couple of threads in this forum. But hey, it is much more fun to play the scolding school marm.
Did you skip all the people that enjoyed the movie? No scolding included.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:47 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,185 times
Most movie companies/studios manufactures word of mouth for their movie. The pressure reviewers to praise/condemn certain movies in exchange for future access, they mandate theaters to run a movie in all of their rooms for a specific duration to squeeze out any competition, and other schemes. Surprise surprise, Netflix is possibly doing what amounts to the same thing.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:38 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,964,604 times
Sandra Bullock is very popular. There is that. As for me, I thought the movie was weird and creepy. Not my thing at all.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:16 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
I think with Birdbox, it is a mix of mid-level horror which sometimes has a great response even if it isn't always critical successes. I haven't seen it, but there has been a good amount of mid-level horror including movies like Bobaduke and It Follows as well as Blumhouse movies. I don't know however if Birdbox is but it partially turned into a pop culture phenomenon.

I think for critics, sometimes there is puffery and soft reviews for movies that prop up the money it will make while other times critics sink a film like say Justice League... Netflix was not alone with this idea that movie studios and distributors use this logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies