Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 07:17 AM

1,386 posts, read 999,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Jay & Silent Bob looked dumb and ... well, they're just dumb.
They're dumb when they're the main subject of the movie, like Strikes Back and Reboot. As ancillary characters, they're very funny. Like in Clerks and Mallrats. Jason Mewes is very funny.

--
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 08:01 AM

19,706 posts, read 20,236,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
More of a sequel than a remake. I'm not positive, because I couldn't get past the first 10 minutes.

I really liked Clerks and consider it the quintessential example of guerilla filmmaking. And it was filmed in Leonardo, NJ. Which is where the pier side annex of Naval Weapons Station, Earle is located. And I was active duty on a ship, homeported at NWS Earle at when it was filmed (although I didn't know it at the time). So I'm familiar with some of the local landmarks.

I didn't like Clerks II and thought Dogma was just weird. Mallrats was goofy, funny fun. Kevin Smith's best movie by far was Chasing Amy. (And that's not just because Joey Lauren Adams is just about as adorable as a woman can get. ) That was Kevin Smith at his best. If you haven't seen it, you should check it out.

--
Bill, I totally agree with you.

Clerks & Chasing Amy are his best films, hands down. Classics and they still hold up.

I really enjoyed the premise of Dogma, and all the cameos were great.

Kevin Smith had later said he wished he had given the lead to Janeane Garofalo instead of Linda Fiorentino - which definitely would've made the film a million times better. (She's just not a very good actress, even in Men In Black...)

Clerks 2 sucked, bad. Clerks stands alone as a masterpiece in its own right, it doesn't need a sequel. So I just pretend that one doesn't exist.lol

Drawing Flies was interesting to watch, once. But that's about it..

Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back had its moments, I know I laughed when I first saw it, but they are definitely clown shoes. lol

Old 04-23-2020, 08:06 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
They're dumb when they're the main subject of the movie, like Strikes Back and Reboot. As ancillary characters, they're very funny. Like in Clerks and Mallrats. Jason Mewes is very funny.
There is dumb funny and smart funny. J&SB are definitely in the dumb category. That doesn't necessarily mean they are bad. Farrelly Bros movies are definitely dumb funny, and they are hilarious. It's funny, but it doesn't make you think. The Cohen Bros are smart funny. Hilarious, but they also make you think.

The "funny" is the most important part. Smart or dumb is just the flavor.

Personally, I love humor that looks dumb on the surface but is actually really smart. Stuff like Mike Judge's cartoons or even the better Three Stooges moments.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:31 AM

1,386 posts, read 999,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
There is dumb funny and smart funny. J&SB are definitely in the dumb category. That doesn't necessarily mean they are bad. Farrelly Bros movies are definitely dumb funny, and they are hilarious. It's funny, but it doesn't make you think. The Cohen Bros are smart funny. Hilarious, but they also make you think.
Mark S, we're in agreement. J&SB is DUMB humor. (Understandably, not everybody's cup of tea.) It's all good as long as it's funny. Biodome is one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen. It's also very funny.

The Big Lebowski and Raising Arizona are two of the funniest movies I've ever seen. And definitely smart humor. The Coen brothers are national treasures.

--

Old 04-28-2020, 07:54 PM

2,496 posts, read 3,246,983 times
I enjoyed Clerks and Mallrats. Maybe Kevin Smith doesnt appeal to everyone.

He had a big heart attack a while ago, he's lost a lot of weight since then.

Got it on Prime now, I need a laugh!

Last edited by Aquaboy; 04-28-2020 at 08:31 PM..

Old 04-28-2020, 10:39 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
They were hilarious in Clerks, and they have a natural chemistry that works like Harold and Kumar does. I think they can pull off one more. Bonus if they have Olaf do a cameo. He can do "Metal face" and sing Berserker again.

I laughed so hard at that moment and still do.

Old 04-29-2020, 02:28 PM

2,496 posts, read 3,246,983 times
I enjoyed JSB rebooted, its been a crappy week and I needed a chuckle. Thanks for the tip, I wasnt aware they made a new movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies