Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 09:17 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,363,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
what is the question about The Outsiders?
There is no question. Do you see a question mark?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Well I didn't see one side as more good than the other, just two gangs that hate each other, and decide to go to war, over something futile and petty it seems.
There is no right or wrong, but I feel sorry for you if you watch the Outsiders and see only gang violence.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:32 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,067,385 times
It's not that I only saw gang violence, I just didn't understand what the point of the story was and had trouble understanding what was driving the characters somewhat.

Like for example, how are we suppose to feel when it comes to what happens to the Matt Dillon character? Are we suppose to feel sorry for him? Are we not? I couldn't tell, as the story just feels kind of arbitrary. It feels like a crime story, you hear about on the news, and not sure if there are any themes there to be intended. But maybe I need to watch it again.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:15 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
It's not that I only saw gang violence, I just didn't understand what the point of the story was and had trouble understanding what was driving the characters somewhat.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bildungsroman

Old 02-11-2019, 04:57 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Nice - thanks!

Old 02-11-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:

Like for example, how are we suppose to feel when it comes to what happens to the Matt Dillon character? Are we suppose to feel sorry for him? Are we not? I couldn't tell, as the story just feels kind of arbitrary. It feels like a crime story, you hear about on the news, and not sure if there are any themes there to be intended. But maybe I need to watch it again.
I saw class warfare not gang violence.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:18 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
It's not that I only saw gang violence, I just didn't understand what the point of the story was
So, pretty much like every other movie you've ever watched, at least from what I gather reading your posts.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:07 PM

732 posts, read 1,045,234 times
So many memories. Quite a cast. Who would have thought out of all the bo-hunks in the film that Tom Cruise, who had only a small part, would turn out to be the biggest star of them all.

I actually didn't think Matt Dillon fit the description from the book that well. I think Dallas was supposed to be blonde and burly, the complete opposite of Dillon.

What an interesting supporting cast. Diane Lane was luscious as Cherry. SE Hinton played a don't blink part as a nurse. Former teen idol Leif Garrett as the doomed Soc. Biker movie favorite William Smith played the store clerk menaced by Dillon and I especially enjoyed watching comedic actor Gailard Sartain in a small role ("You shouldn't smoke son"). Sartain got his start as horror host Mazeppa on Tulsa TV station channel 6 back in the 60's.

This was filmed in Tulsa and as I used to live there, I enjoyed watching the local color. I especially got a kick out of Boston Avenue Church in downtown Tulsa being the backdrop for a scene.

All in all, neat little film.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:00 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
The book was amazing. I don't remember much about the movie. S.E. Hinton, the author was a teen when she wrote it but IIRC that (and the fact she was female) didn't come out until much later.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:19 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,067,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
I saw class warfare not gang violence.
Yeah that makes sense, I guess I just felt when it comes to class warefare stories, this one has kind of an average execution maybe, compared to something like... Romeo and Juliet, or the movies The Battle of Algiers, or Do The Right Thing, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies