Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 01:49 PM

21,932 posts, read 9,498,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Seems like some want to keep the race wars alive in America. Gets people riled up so they will never forget and forgive. Power of the media wants racism thriving.
I totally agree. And I can assure you that, if we have a candidate for president that is black, you will hear it even more...kind of like we heard about how sexist we were during the last Presidential run. I predicted that two years before they even started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 01:52 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
[quote=ironpony;54395229]But I think it's more than usual for an 8 year span, that's all.[/QUOT

What is supposed to be "usual" for an eight-year span?

You mean compared to earlier decades when there weren't any significant numbers of black people in the movie production business?

Old 02-11-2019, 05:38 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
They're not all about racism. Look at your list- there's a horror movie, a western, and others.

I think what's going on is only Hollywood serving a market demand. I don't know, but its possible that movie dates are popular with black folks now, or a black lead mixed into a white cast draws better or that some worn-out themes can draw when the teens in trouble that were always white are black.

But it's not only one race or culture; a lot of Hispanic actors, some Indian actors and British actors of all colors are getting substantial roles now. These movies may be better sellers internationally than here in the U.S. Going out to the movies may be a more popular entertainment in other places than it is here, where folks stay home and stream them instead.

Its what fills the theaters, not TVs, that still drives the industry.

All white casts are so common that folks who aren't white may be going back to see a movie with a large part of the cast that's another color many times. When the cast is mixed, the movie can attract everyone.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:34 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,482 times
Some movies from this decade

2011 The Help
2012 Django Unchained
2013 The Butler
2014 Dear White People, Selma
2015 Straight Outta Compton
2016 Free State of Jones, Race, The Birth of a Nation, I Am Not Your Negro, Hidden Figures, Moonlight
2017 Get Out
2018 Blackkklansman, The Hate You Give

The difference between these movies (or at least the frequency of them) and the black (starred, directed, written, produced) movies I watched growing up is an image that I'd describe as meek, victimized black people. From my perspective, they don't appear to cater directly to a black audience, or at least not to me. They may as well all be titled "Dear White People."
I guess I grew up in the era where black families were depicted as having normal lives, and in the backdrop of the blaxploitation era where they presented strong characters despite racially hostile environments. Even those 1990s street gang movies depicted the characters as responsible for their own evil deeds.

Just venting my frustrations about society and what the media decides to show us. Because I don't get it.

But there's of course been plenty of movies produced by Tyler Perry and others that generally aren't making a pointed statement directed at a particular group. Not the most enjoyable movies.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:19 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
They're not all about racism. Look at your list- there's a horror movie, a western, and others.

I think what's going on is only Hollywood serving a market demand. I don't know, but its possible that movie dates are popular with black folks now, or a black lead mixed into a white cast draws better or that some worn-out themes can draw when the teens in trouble that were always white are black.

But it's not only one race or culture; a lot of Hispanic actors, some Indian actors and British actors of all colors are getting substantial roles now. These movies may be better sellers internationally than here in the U.S. Going out to the movies may be a more popular entertainment in other places than it is here, where folks stay home and stream them instead.

Its what fills the theaters, not TVs, that still drives the industry.

All white casts are so common that folks who aren't white may be going back to see a movie with a large part of the cast that's another color many times. When the cast is mixed, the movie can attract everyone.
This is the bottom line. They make movies that sell a lot of tickets (here and overseas). If they didn’t make money they wouldn’t make them. It is patently ridiculous that people actually think a movie studio is going to spends 10’s of millions to make movies that don’t sell in order to advance a racially divisive narrative, of all things. There’s a divider with a strong presence right now, but he ain’t in Hollywood.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:45 AM

21,932 posts, read 9,498,367 times
I personally don't like movies that put in a token black just to be PC. It feels manipulated. If you have a black cast because it makes sense, then I am fine with it. I won't see the movie especially or not see it. I also hate TV shows that lose a cast member and rewrite the script to work around it. I wish we didn't have to hear about all the actor's personal lives and know why they leave shows.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:50 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times
It sure beats the 1,000,000,000 boring, repetitive superhero movies these past 8 years.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:15 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This is the bottom line. They make movies that sell a lot of tickets (here and overseas). If they didn’t make money they wouldn’t make them. It is patently ridiculous that people actually think a movie studio is going to spends 10’s of millions to make movies that don’t sell in order to advance a racially divisive narrative, of all things. There’s a divider with a strong presence right now, but he ain’t in Hollywood.
I'm not saying that Hollywood is making movies that don't sell. Of course they sell. People like the subject matter.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:20 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
It sure beats the 1,000,000,000 boring, repetitive superhero movies these past 8 years.
That is an interesting point. People are always complaining about the lack of imagination coming out of Hollywood, but when you look at the list of Black movies from the past few years, outside of Black Panther and the Tyler Perry stuff, there are a lot of unique, independent ideas and stories.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:28 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,200 times
What counts as a Black movie though? Did the ones I mention count, or are we talking different movies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies