Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2019, 08:49 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
They really rather de-powered everyone in this script. Considering how well they fought Thanos in Infinity War as smaller groups, the "power core" of the Avengers should have been able to overcome him fairly quickly working together.
Yeah, but again, what kind of movie would it have been if they had defeated Thanos easily? There wouldn’t have been some of the most epic superhero movies (IMO) that followed. I feel like people overthink the de-powering thing too much, without realizing that if they did power them at full power, you would end up with boring movies and another set of complaints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 09:29 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Yeah, but again, what kind of movie would it have been if they had defeated Thanos easily? There wouldn’t have been some of the most epic superhero movies (IMO) that followed. I feel like people overthink the de-powering thing too much, without realizing that if they did power them at full power, you would end up with boring movies and another set of complaints.
No, it would just take more clever writing to come up with reasons why ordinary punching wouldn't do the job.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:36 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,113,643 times
Am I the only person who wishes they would have edited some of the scenes? For example, the paper football scene at the beginning. They could have covered it in a few seconds, instead of going on and on playing the game. Or, deleted the scene altogether.

The movie was a lot of fun, but it did seem to drag at times.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:41 AM

22,917 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
I feel like people overthink the de-powering thing too much, without realizing that if they did power them at full power, you would end up with boring movies and another set of complaints.
No.

Exciting conflict is NOT about ever more powerful heroes punching ever more powerful villains. That is just people punching, and that IS boring.

Exciting conflict happens when we care about their characters involved, when the stakes are high, and when the opposition is stronger and more powerful than the heroes. And that doesn't have to involve gods throwing planets around. It can involve a harried sheriff having to look his little boy in the eye after he just got another little boy killed. (See JAWS.) It can involve a lonely farm boy who wants more from life than the farm, but that other life has never seemed farther away. (See STAR WARS.) It can involve two former lovers staring across a table at one another, waiting for the other to make the first move. (See KILL BILL.) It can involve a little girl walking in the dark, not knowing there is a monster in the woods waiting for her. (See TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD.)

Marvel did a remarkably good job making me care about Captain America, Iron Man, Hawkeye, and Black Widow in this movie. But then it all still ending in good guys punching bad guys in ever more spectacular mayhem.

Okay, we've done that. How about we rethink the concept? Finally get the super hero out of the circus tent for once?

Say what you will about Shyamalan, at least he has tried taking this genre and using it to tell a story for grown-ups that involves more than punching the bad guys.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but again, what kind of movie would it have been if they had defeated Thanos easily? There wouldn’t have been some of the most epic superhero movies* (IMO) that followed. I feel like people overthink the de-powering thing too much, without realizing that if they did power them at full power, you would end up with boring movies and another set of complaints.
*meant to say “superhero movie SCENES”

Old 05-01-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
No.

Exciting conflict is NOT about ever more powerful heroes punching ever more powerful villains. That is just people punching, and that IS boring.

Exciting conflict happens when we care about their characters involved, when the stakes are high, and when the opposition is stronger and more powerful than the heroes. And that doesn't have to involve gods throwing planets around. It can involve a harried sheriff having to look his little boy in the eye after he just got another little boy killed. (See JAWS.) It can involve a lonely farm boy who wants more from life than the farm, but that other life has never seemed farther away. (See STAR WARS.) It can involve two former lovers staring across a table at one another, waiting for the other to make the first move. (See KILL BILL.) It can involve a little girl walking in the dark, not knowing there is a monster in the woods waiting for her. (See TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD.)

Marvel did a remarkably good job making me care about Captain America, Iron Man, Hawkeye, and Black Widow in this movie. But then it all still ending in good guys punching bad guys in ever more spectacular mayhem.

Okay, we've done that. How about we rethink the concept? Finally get the super hero out of the circus tent for once?

Say what you will about Shyamalan, at least he has tried taking this genre and using it to tell a story for grown-ups that involves more than punching the bad guys.
You must have misunderstood my post. I agree that there is much more to movies than having a bunch of super-powered characters. That is what I meant when I said that I think people focus on that too much when there are many other character-development and plot-development considerations that impact entertainment.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:16 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,964,030 times
Isn't there a big correlation between blockbusters and movie length? Perhaps some people see a longer running time as both a better deal and a better movie. Which does seem to carry some relation as the most popular movies really do seem to run well over the standard length.

I'm considering that 3 hours was done intentionally. When you invest that much money..................

Old 05-01-2019, 10:22 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Isn't there a big correlation between blockbusters and movie length? Perhaps some people see a longer running time as both a better deal and a better movie. Which does seem to carry some relation as the most popular movies really do seem to run well over the standard length.

I'm considering that 3 hours was done intentionally. When you invest that much money..................
I think it could have been a trilogy.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:26 AM

949 posts, read 572,323 times
How about everyone getting better at living their real lives instead of wasting money and time with this crap.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post

I was so entertained by it that I honestly didn’t notice it was 3 hours. I probably would have been a little annoyed if it was shorter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies