Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 04:47 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times

Advertisements

Holiday movies can count for this, but does anyone have any other movies you only watch certain times of the year? For me, I only watch Dazed and Confused in late spring/early summer. Maybe it's just the setting, but that's always when I've watched that one. Anyone else have others like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 03:14 PM

19,387 posts, read 15,224,747 times
I love watching all my "summery" movies in the summer, but then I'll also watch them during the winter to cheer myself up and help me pretend for a while that it's summer. I have set up a block of new (to me) "summery" movies (don't know how else to describe them, and many times they're foreign) in the Netflix queue to watch throughout this summer. It just feels like it helps me celebrate summer more.

(Count how many times I mentioned summer, win a free prize!)

Old 05-21-2019, 06:33 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Uh, yeah.
Love, Actually = December.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:25 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,856,150 times
Yes, but not necessarily matching the seasons. I go through phases. Right now I am really into movies with the holiday feeling. Family-friendly movies. Movies that show good triumphing in the traditional sense.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:55 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times
Halloween necessitates ...

Halloween
Young Frankenstein
An American Werewolf in London

Lately I've also been adding Trick 'R' Treat to the mix.

Thanksgiving necessitates Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

Old 05-22-2019, 04:53 PM

339 posts, read 148,256 times
When Harry Met Sally-New Years week

Meet Me in St. Louis-early Fall

Gone With the Wind-Thanksgiving or Easter

Rocky 3/4-Summer

Raw Deal-Valentine's Day

Bringing Up Baby-December

The Best Years of our Lives-December

Dirty Harry movies-Fall

Last edited by FierceKaia; 05-22-2019 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: formatting issues

Old 05-22-2019, 05:02 PM

19,800 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Oh, yes.

We have at least 500 DVDs (not counting TV series), which I divide in half so that we watch 250 or so one year and the other 250 the next year -- and these are then divided into seasons. I do match the "season setting" of the movie to the actual season we are in. We also try to match the type of movie to the type of meal we are having (for example, Westerns with steak). We watch a movie during dinner and then finish it after dinner. We actually love our routine, and as my husband is an engineer, I am retired, and our kids have left, it actually serves as our weekday "being together quality time". (We do more active things together on the weekends, btw!)

Old 05-22-2019, 06:00 PM

19,387 posts, read 15,224,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Oh, yes.

We have at least 500 DVDs (not counting TV series), which I divide in half so that we watch 250 or so one year and the other 250 the next year -- and these are then divided into seasons. I do match the "season setting" of the movie to the actual season we are in. We also try to match the type of movie to the type of meal we are having (for example, Westerns with steak). We watch a movie during dinner and then finish it after dinner. We actually love our routine, and as my husband is an engineer, I am retired, and our kids have left, it actually serves as our weekday "being together quality time". (We do more active things together on the weekends, btw!)
Wow!

I haven't done this yet, but I'd like to make the same food that's featured in the movie. Like every time I watch "Julie & Julia," I'm dying for the food in it. "Big Night," etc. All the food(ie) movies. I think it would be fun to eat those dishes while you're watching the movie.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:00 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Oh, yes.

That sounds like a fun routine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FierceKaia View Post
When Harry Met Sally-New Years week

Meet Me in St. Louis-early Fall

Gone With the Wind-Thanksgiving or Easter

Rocky 3/4-Summer

Raw Deal-Valentine's Day

Bringing Up Baby-December

The Best Years of our Lives-December

Dirty Harry movies-Fall
This is a nice schedule.

Old 05-23-2019, 05:16 AM

20,627 posts, read 4,409,428 times
Dutch (Nov)
Santa Claus: The Movie (Nov/Dec)
Jack Frost (Dec)
Die Hards (Nov/Dec)
Lethal Weapons (Nov/Dec)
Summer School (June/July)
Summer Rental (June/July)
Halloween (Oct)
Leprechaun (Oct)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies