Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 09:33 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,617,720 times

Advertisements

https://twitter.com/Lionsgate/status...79141407027202
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 09:39 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
^ Awesome. I, too, am ashamed.

Old 08-04-2019, 04:49 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
It looks good. I already told my father I'm taking him to see it next month.

Old 09-22-2019, 06:12 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
I just got back from seeing "Rambo: Last Blood." My first thought leaving the theater was that there was nothing redeeming about the movie. It did not make me feel good at any part of the movie. And maybe my (middle) age is showing, but I thought it was too gory. Not slasher film gory, just too.... much. If I explain why, I give away too many spoilers.

The author of the book that "First Blood" was based on distanced himself from this movie and said it had no soul. I found that was a good way to put t.

I did not find it racist which some people have apparently. Rambo goes after the bad guys. The bad guys are Mexican... and one dimensional. The writing is not good at all. It's a formula and once it gets going, you can fill in the blanks before they show you what happens on screen.

3 out of 5 stars tops.

I believe there were ten of us in the theater watching it. It's not going to be a huge hit

Old 09-22-2019, 06:44 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Opened at around $19 million this weekend and cost $50 million or so to make.

Definitely not going to be a profitable movie.

Old 09-22-2019, 07:58 PM

I went and saw this last night. There were maybe twenty people, if that. Not a big turnout for early evening. I know it had major competition this weekend, but I figured it would do slightly better.

Alas, the minuses outweigh the plusses with this maybe-not-the-last installment.

It's a linear, by-the-numbers revenge story, complete with oh-so-bad Mexican human traffickers and a very predictable three-act structure. But it all unfolds a bit too quickly: At ninety minutes, this movie is just too freakin' short. It feels like it's missing hefty chunks of footage; this is confirmed by dialogue heard in the trailer that's not in the movie, and at least one complete rescue scene dropped from the theatrical cut. (That scene isn't attached to the main narrative.)

Paz Vega does fine with what little she's given. The other main female lead is given some atrocious dialogue. John Rambo's I-need-revenge speech falls short (his closing lines are better).

Yeah, it's a Rambo movie, but I expected a little more. Action movies don't need to operate at breakneck speeds all the time. Exhibit A: No Country for Old Men. Exhibit B: Sicario. Those are the movies that should have served as templates, not Sly's Expendables trilogy.

As far as the gore goes, well, that's the one area where they really went for it. And you know how I love gore. Don't go in expecting surgical cuts and sniper kills. The violence is downright gruesome this time.

Old 09-23-2019, 06:16 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Stallone is a hard guy to figure out. I don't think he's a mindless himbo. He has proven he can write and direct. And not just a workman job. ROCKY is a great script.

Which makes me wonder why he still churns out schlock. ??? Is he just not trying? Is it just a money grab? Why not aim a little higher?

Old 09-23-2019, 09:02 AM

Rocky is indeed a classic. A perfect film.

"Himbo"...haha!

Old 09-23-2019, 11:17 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Stallone is a hard guy to figure out. I don't think he's a mindless himbo. He has proven he can write and direct. And not just a workman job. ROCKY is a great script.

Which makes me wonder why he still churns out schlock. ??? Is he just not trying? Is it just a money grab? Why not aim a little higher?

I would think often times actors, directors, writers, etc just want to work. Right? No different than any other creative enterprise, not every painter is Michelangelo, not every composer is Beethoven, not every writer is Hemingway, etc, etc, etc.

They aren't all seminal works that are bound for Oscar-filled glory....

Old 09-23-2019, 07:54 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
This could very well happen. As much as I like Stallone and Rambo, I hope this does not get filmed. First Blood was extremely well done. We got brief flashes of Rambos time in Vietnam. More effective though was his emotional outburst when with the general and surrounded by police. His vivid description of his friend getting blown up was jarring.

My point is the imagination of what happened to Rambo is enough. To create another action film going that far back takes away from the character. Even though the war has still not ended for Rambo, all things come to an end regardless. I think this should be it for the character. It's time. The old movies will still be watched for years to come. Trying to keep going is tacky, and Hollywood does this too much as it is.
Yup.
Clint Eastwood can get away with playing old guys in action movies because Clint always picks a character and a script that fit his age. And Clint has seldom stuck with one character he plays more than 2-3 times. He hasn't repeated any of his characters since the 1980s.

I really don't want to watch Stallone at age 70 trying to pull off what he could do at 30. Old Rambo isn't a real appealing character to me.

Like you mentioned, Scott, Rambo was already physically and mentally damaged in First Blood. He was no kid in that flick either, and he went on to get hurt even worse in the following movies. What kind of shape would a person in their 70s be now, after all that combat? The idea of Old Rambo makes little sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies