Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 09:00 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times

Advertisements

It is only our first look. It could be much worse. I think I wouldn't see it if I didn't have AMC A-List but I will if I have the free time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 07:26 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It is only our first look. It could be much worse. I think I wouldn't see it if I didn't have AMC A-List but I will if I have the free time.
Yep. Only a first look.

I do know someone who saw a preview showing of it in LA and liked it a lot. So we'll see.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:37 PM

513 posts, read 541,581 times
Dolph Ziggler / Shawn Michaels award goes to the stuntmen who sold the "punches" and "kicks" from the Angels!

Old 11-19-2019, 05:02 PM

5,110 posts, read 2,052,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I too agree that it looks incredibly generic. I feel that also perhaps an R rated Charlie's Angels movie would better. Not that it has to be be dark, but just R rated sexy sultry fun, but would that be bad?
And lots of action scenes and it could had been the girls counterpart to the Expendables.

Is it far-fetched to think then the 2019 Charlie's Angels is the counterpart of the 2016 Ghostbusters?

Vlogger timcast gived me some chuckles in his vlog about Charlie's Angels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXkmFc4dHbI

Old 11-19-2019, 05:04 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
I have nothing against remakes but I think this one has run it's course.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:36 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Oh, good. Finally a film with some invincible chop socky female warriors.

I'm training a team of wild horses to take me to the theater.

Old 11-19-2019, 08:10 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,619,873 times
Well, this thing tanked. I guess you guys didn't go see it.

Old 11-20-2019, 06:41 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
https://theplaylist.net/elizabeth-ba...gels-20191118/

Quote:
Banks goes on to describe how you can’t necessarily compare something like “Charlie’s Angels” to recent female-led franchise films such as “Wonder Woman” and “Captain Marvel” (both of which are likely going to make hundreds of millions of dollars more than Banks’ film). She claims that audiences will pay money to see the comic book films, even with female leads, because it’s all part of a “male genre.”

“They’ll go and see a comic book movie with Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel because that’s a male genre,” Banks said. “So even though those are movies about women, they put them in the context of feeding the larger comic book world, so it’s all about, yes, you’re watching a ‘Wonder Woman’ movie but we’re setting up three other characters or we’re setting up ‘Justice League.’”

She continued, “By the way, I’m happy for those characters to have box office success, but we need more women’s voices supported with money because that’s the power. The power is in the money.”
I love Elizabeth Banks. But I think she's offbase here.

Maybe she remember's Charlie's Angels being some sort of early feminist show about strong women. If so, she's remembering a different show than I watched as a kid. Charlie's Angels was very much in the so-called "male genre." It was a hit because so many guys watched it for the pretty women. Some critics even dubbed it "jiggle TV."

Why the movie is bombing I have no idea. Cinema as a whole is struggling. Maybe because it's a remake of a TV show that most young people have never heard of, much less watched? I don't know.

But I don't think you can blame it on "guys don't like movies with strong women" or "women don't like action movies."

Old 11-20-2019, 10:33 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,619,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Why the movie is bombing I have no idea. Cinema as a whole is struggling. Maybe because it's a remake of a TV show that most young people have never heard of, much less watched? I don't know.
I do. Nobody asked for it. Nobody wanted it. It came out of nowhere, and everyone went WTF? Again? Why?

The cast is unremarkable. I don't know who they are apart from Kristen Stewart, and I'm not a fan.

Quote:
But I don't think you can blame it on "guys don't like movies with strong women" or "women don't like action movies."
She's just butthurt. I like Elizabeth Banks and I thought she would be above this sort of thing. Guess not. I wonder what she thinks of Wonder Woman.

Old 11-20-2019, 05:44 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
She said something funny too when that was challenged. When people pointed out Captain Marvel and Wonder Woman, she doubled down saying guys don't like strong women leads outside of Superheroes.

<chuckle> Guess she forgot her role in the Hunger Games movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies