Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 09:04 AM

10,552 posts, read 7,747,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post

I think Matt Damon was an extremely poor choice for Carroll Shelby.
Shelby's family didn't think so. They gave Damon some sort of medallion for his portrayal of him, through Jay Leno. Leno has done a brief interview with Damon about the film, available on You Tube.

Other point I remember from this video is that Ferrari was known as "the assassin" because so many of his drivers died racing.

I thought Bale and Damon were an excellent team, and thoroughly enjoyed the film.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2019, 12:52 PM

Here's the Jay Leno video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i_McA5BlKE

Old 12-05-2019, 05:49 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,495,821 times
Just saw the movie last night and found it pretty disappointing. It was "Hollywooded" way too much. Rather than focusing on the actual development of the cars, and on more of what happened at Shelby America, they made the show just about the exaggerated interpersonal relationships between the Ford execs and Shelby. They really didn't explain what the Cobra was all about, anything about it's development or just how significant it was. They never mentioned that while Shelby America was working with the GT-40 project in the GTP class, they also built their own Shelby Daytona (Cobra based) for the GT class-and won it. They never showed the actual design and building of the GT-40, it just showed up at Shelby for additional development. It was never mentioned that the first ones were built by Lotus.

The race scenes were mostly dumb (fun, but dumb). Just because you "let your driver loose" doesn't mean that his car is 30 miles an hour faster than anything else on the track. And why are they always downshifting when increasing speed? The whole show felt more like Days of Thunder (IIRC-the old Nascar film with Tom Cruise) than a story about Shelby America.

There is a Netflix documentary out on Shelby right now that actually is better than the movie.

Old 12-06-2019, 07:13 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,529,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Just saw the movie last night and found it pretty disappointing. It was "Hollywooded" way too much. Rather than focusing on the actual development of the cars, and on more of what happened at Shelby America, they made the show just about the exaggerated interpersonal relationships between the Ford execs and Shelby. They really didn't explain what the Cobra was all about, anything about it's development or just how significant it was. They never mentioned that while Shelby America was working with the GT-40 project in the GTP class, they also built their own Shelby Daytona (Cobra based) for the GT class-and won it. They never showed the actual design and building of the GT-40, it just showed up at Shelby for additional development. It was never mentioned that the first ones were built by Lotus.

The race scenes were mostly dumb (fun, but dumb). Just because you "let your driver loose" doesn't mean that his car is 30 miles an hour faster than anything else on the track. And why are they always downshifting when increasing speed? The whole show felt more like Days of Thunder (IIRC-the old Nascar film with Tom Cruise) than a story about Shelby America.

There is a Netflix documentary out on Shelby right now that actually is better than the movie.
Hollywood always embellishes some what and you have to expect it. You’re never going to hear ALL the story or at least the REAL story. I personally enjoyed it but I do plan on watching the one on Netflix too.

Old 12-06-2019, 04:49 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
I loved the movie, but I have to wonder ... why didn't Matt Damon ever don the traditional Carroll Shelby overalls that we always saw him in??? Huge Shelby fan here ... in fact, my youngest son's middle name is Shelby!

Old 12-06-2019, 11:46 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,495,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I loved the movie, but I have to wonder ... why didn't Matt Damon ever don the traditional Carroll Shelby overalls that we always saw him in??? Huge Shelby fan here ... in fact, my youngest son's middle name is Shelby!
Yeah, I wondered the same thing. It was sort of a signature thing for him.

Old 12-07-2019, 05:59 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,529,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Shelby's family didn't think so. They gave Damon some sort of medallion for his portrayal of him, through Jay Leno. Leno has done a brief interview with Damon about the film, available on You Tube.

Other point I remember from this video is that Ferrari was known as "the assassin" because so many of his drivers died racing.

I thought Bale and Damon were an excellent team, and thoroughly enjoyed the film.
I’d like to see Bale and Damon do another movie together.

Old 12-07-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post

Good question, but didn't Shelby wear these mostly during his racing career?

Maybe not so much as an employee of Ford.

Damon's body type wouldn't look so good as the real Shelby's in overalls, perhaps that was a factor.

Old 12-08-2019, 08:36 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
People who expect to have history rewritten to serve the social meme’s of today are worthless as critics

The interesting point was that Lee Iacocca was the man who thought of the Ford racing team
Tried to buy/merge w/Ferrarri and played second to Josh Lucas’s syncophant Leo Bebbe in the hierarchy at Ford but went on to run Ford and Chrysler...
Josh Lucas played Beebe as such an ego-fixated ass-kisser he gives the term “executive” a thoroughly negative connotation...

Old 12-14-2019, 11:07 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
This was quite possibly the best film of the year that I have seen. Now I fully enjoyed say Avengers: Endgame, Spider-Man: Far From Home and Frozen 2 more, BUT this was a far better film than those three, if that makes sense. And I am NOT knocking those three films, but this was a great story and had fun car race set pieces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies