Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 12:25 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,645,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
I have seen the film, here in Toronto.

A few points about the historical accuracy of the film. In reality, if a attack was going to be cancelled, that message would have been sent by a number of different ways. Telephone, telegraph, by having a RFC aircraft drop message tubes with ten foot long white streamers on them, on the reserve trench lines. Runners were only used to convey messages for short distances, between sub units. If a message needed to be sent back to a rear HQ, it would have been carried by either a man on horseback, or by a car.

In an attack, no body was running forward, because of three factors. The average man was carrying about 50 to 60 pounds of equipment on his back. The ground was NOT made up of flat , open unblemished pastures, it was a muddy quagmire of water filled deep craters from artillery shells. The men had to move at a walking pace to stay behind their rolling artillery barrage, which moved forward 400 feet, every 5 minutes. So no one was running .

In this film, everyone is way too clean. In reality the men were living in filth for two week at a time. The standard rotation was for a unit to be in the very front line for a week, then move back to the reserve trench line for another week, then move back to the rest camps, for two weeks. So they only spent one week out of four at the sharp end. The rest camps were at least 8 to 10 miles to the rear, far from the artillery guns.

The film is technically interesting, but flawed in terms of many historical factors.

Source. My Father ( yes you read that correctly ) served in the Canadian Army, from 1915 to 1919, in France. He lived to age 83, passing in 1981, I was born in 1946, and I am now 73. During my growing up years, he and I spent hours discussing his personal experiences in action, and his opinions about the way that the war was fought. I have been reading WW 1 history for about 50 years. I know a bit about it.
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind when I see the film.

I think posts like yours are important, since too many people get their " history " lessons from film and seem to believe what they see is accurate all the time. CD has shown that to be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2020, 01:25 PM

16,584 posts, read 10,736,338 times
Quote:
A few points about the historical accuracy of the film. In reality, if a attack was going to be cancelled, that message would have been sent by a number of different ways. Telephone, telegraph, by having a RFC aircraft drop message tubes with ten foot long white streamers on them, on the reserve trench lines. Runners were only used to convey messages for short distances, between sub units. If a message needed to be sent back to a rear HQ, it would have been carried by either a man on horseback, or by a car.
Thank you. I know next to nothing about World War I, so I would have been completely unaware of these things.

I haven't seen it yet, but I know that this film is set in World War I. Is it based on a particular battle/campaign/event/etc.? Or is it simply a matter of historical fiction with a setting of WWI, in the way that Saving Private Ryan was for WW2? If it's the latter, I'm more forgiving about historical methodology, because it's easier to tell yourself that it "could" have happened in the way they show, just for that one time. (Assuming that what they're showing is at least semi-plausible at a basic level.) But if it's about a specific event that actually happened, I except it to be depicted accurately and would be disappointed if it were not.

Old 01-17-2020, 03:38 PM

28,711 posts, read 18,912,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Thank you. I know next to nothing about World War I, so I would have been completely unaware of these things.

I haven't seen it yet, but I know that this film is set in World War I. Is it based on a particular battle/campaign/event/etc.? Or is it simply a matter of historical fiction with a setting of WWI, in the way that Saving Private Ryan was for WW2? If it's the latter, I'm more forgiving about historical methodology, because it's easier to tell yourself that it "could" have happened in the way they show, just for that one time. (Assuming that what they're showing is at least semi-plausible at a basic level.) But if it's about a specific event that actually happened, I except it to be depicted accurately and would be disappointed if it were not.

It's built from true stories told to director/writer Sam Mendes by his grandfather, who was a messenger during WWI.

Old 01-17-2020, 05:38 PM

7,306 posts, read 4,675,397 times
It was a good movie.

Old 01-17-2020, 06:08 PM

17,683 posts, read 13,498,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
It was a good movie.

Even better when you realize that this is a Masterpiece that Sam Mendes decided to film in ONE CONTINUOUS TAKE!

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/19...ith/index.html

Quote:
When Sam Mendes sent out the script for "1917," his concept was firmly in place: a feature-length war film envisioned as a single shot in real time. It was bold. It was ambitious. It was maybe not taken as seriously as he hoped.

"I did laugh out loud," remembered editor Lee Smith. "I thought it was a typo," said cinematographer Roger Deakins, chuckling, before backtracking. "No, my reaction was, 'Okay. Why?' But then I read it and it's obvious."

"1917" is a simple story complex in its storytelling. Mendes' film -- inspired by tales told by his grandfather, a messenger in World War I -- tracks two British soldiers on a mission through No Man's Land to deliver instructions to advancing troops in mortal peril. Failure isn't an option, and the urgency of the situation demands that we follow them every step of the way. So that's what the camera does.

Old 01-17-2020, 06:09 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,105,709 times
Quote:
I have seen the film, here in Toronto.

The tragic 1981 film "Gallipoli" also about World War I, showed Mel Gibson as an Australian runner trying to convey the message from a General for his men to hold fire, but the Mel Gibson character did not reach the front lines in time, and they continued charging and were completely slaughtered by the Turkish machine guns. The invasion of Gallipoli, Turkey was a great mistake ordered by young Winston Churchill. The British were using inaccurate contour maps, and so they thought the landing beach area was flat, but it was actually ringed by hills and cliffs covered with Turkish machine gunners.

Last edited by slowlane3; 01-17-2020 at 06:23 PM..

Old 01-18-2020, 08:05 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,079,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Even better when you realize that this is a Masterpiece that Sam Mendes decided to film in ONE CONTINUOUS TAKE!
It wasn't filmed in one continuous take, it was filmed and edited to look like it was all one continuous shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMBnvz-dEXw

Old 01-19-2020, 07:52 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,628,811 times
Saw this this Saturday. Very good movie. Held my interest all through it.

Spoiler:
Spoiler
Was surprised that the brother died so early in the movie.

Spoiler:
Spoiler
The Wayfaring Stranger scene was incredible

Last edited by trlhiker; 01-19-2020 at 08:04 PM..

Old 01-20-2020, 09:21 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,595,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
The tragic 1981 film "Gallipoli" also about World War I, showed Mel Gibson as an Australian runner trying to convey the message from a General for his men to hold fire, but the Mel Gibson character did not reach the front lines in time, and they continued charging and were completely slaughtered by the Turkish machine guns. The invasion of Gallipoli, Turkey was a great mistake ordered by young Winston Churchill. The British were using inaccurate contour maps, and so they thought the landing beach area was flat, but it was actually ringed by hills and cliffs covered with Turkish machine gunners.
That was a very good flick, one of my favorites. Talk about military blunders.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:32 AM
Status: "Peace sells...but who's buying?" (set 6 hours ago)

8,088 posts, read 3,574,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
My 13 year old son wants to see this movie. In general, he is not offended or upset by war violence depicted on a movie screen. But up until now, he hasn't seen anything more graphic than PG-13. How much does this movie earn its R rating?
I took my 12 year old son to see this last weekend. He liked it a lot. I took him to see Star Wars a few weeks back and he fidgeted the whole time, but with this movie he was enthralled right from the start and stuck with it until the very end even during the slower parts. It sparked some good discussion after it was over as well, including him wondering why there were so few movies about this war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/19...ith/index.html
I thought the continuous take approach worked really well in this film, which is something I was a little trepidatious about going in to it. It really draws you in to the situation. It starts out slowly and the action sort of sneaks up on you. Also I don't think there was any music at all during the film outside of what is provided by the characters themselves.

Overall I'd say the film was very well done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies