Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 11:40 AM

5,462 posts, read 8,182,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
My only major beef is that the cast is so overwhelmingly male. Sure, this about gang members, and there are a few women, and there is the estranged daughter who has barely any dialogue. I like to see more women characters in movies.
Peggy was an important figure in The Irishman.

She was “the observer” and didn't say a lot – she didn't have to – all you had to was look at her facial expressions and body language. It was good that she didn't talk a lot.

From an early age, she, the observer,” disowned her father, Frank. She knew he had no principles. He was just a gofer and "house painter" for the Russell Bufalino mob with no real purpose in life. He couldn't even belong to the mob because he was Irish. He even followed orders and killed his best friend, Jimmy Hoffa. Watching her father brutally beat and crush the hand of the shopkeeper for a minor infraction didn't make him her hero, it made her dislike him even more.

She liked Jimmy Hoffa because he, despite his faults, had a purpose in life – among other things, he loved the Teamsters Union, especially the men and women it represented and tried to improve their lives.

Frank could never figure this out. He spent his final days wondering why his daughter didn't want to have anything to do with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 11:52 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
I must be the only one who didn't like it. I thought it was slow, boring in places (especially the ending). I watched it over again to see why I thought it lackluster and I felt again, Scorsese could have put more action into it, less draggy dialogue, and less back and forth scenes. The printed dialogue was also not appreciated. JMHO
I thought it was boring and choppy. My wife did not understand why I did not love it, but then she was wandering around the house and only watched bits and pieces of it. I suffered through the whole thing. It was not much different than every other gangster movie of the type since the Godfather. Same old same old but this one had more long boring parts where nothing happened.

Old 12-06-2019, 12:42 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,695,105 times
I enjoyed this film, in spite of the CGI, but think that it would have been better with younger actors in the early scenes. I was impressed by Pesci's performance, and also by the camera angles and the way Di Niro carried himself, which transformed him into a Frank Sheeran-sized man. Those gunboats (shoes) didn't hurt, either.

The main negative for me was Pacino as Hoffa. Most of it was because he didn't resemble Hoffa, but I didn't care for his acting, either. Still, not a bad flick, and much easier to watch at home.

Old 12-06-2019, 01:09 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
It was excellent. Not just a good movie, but an art form. The actors were all really acting at the highest levels. It doesn't get any better than this.

I didn't think a 3 hr movie would hold my interest, esp. since it's sort of quiet for stretches. But it did. This will probably be the last of the greats come together for a mobster movie. Scorsese did it justice.

I was most surprised by Ray Romano. He's more than just a sitcom or funny movie guy! He did really well. Totally believable...and he still brought his humor to the table.

The makeup people did an amazing job. I could see the makeup at times, and realized some were intentional long shots, but it can't be easy to make septuagenarians look decades younger.

On the downside, it's easy to see why women actors have trouble getting work. This movie is entirely male among key characters. I'd love to see more movies packed with top notch female actors, with lots of female actors in supporting roles. These actors exist. For every role a female gets, it seems to me there are a hundred male acting jobs in movies. But I digress. The Irishman is an awesome movie that caps a lifetime of these actors and Scorsese making mobster/gangster movies. And what a finale it is.
Yes, Ray Romano. Who knew? He was perfect. I was startled to see him right at the first, but he proved himself a fine actor.

I also agree that more women actors need movies about the lives of women. I don’t necessarily think they would have to be mob movies. But I think the lives of mob wives and girlfriends would be an interesting genre. Women are just as interesting as men, after all.

Old 12-07-2019, 09:12 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,823,403 times
Saw it at the theater a few weeks ago. I liked it but was far too long, the dynamic between Peggy as a young girl, Russell and Hoffa was creepy to me and Pacino as Hoffa just didn't jell.

Old 12-07-2019, 03:12 PM

384 posts, read 229,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
This is a mindset that doesn't seem restricted to any political stripe. I know both far left liberals and far right conservatives who behave this way.

I used to work with a lesbian who refused to see any Al Pacino movies because she considered Cruising (from 1980) homophobic. She refused to watch The Godfather because Al Pacino starred in a movie that disagreed with her politics.

I had a leftie college professor who refused to watch Clint Eastwood or Tom Selleck movies because of the actors' politics.

I have conservative family members who won't watch certain TV shows or movies because of the stars' politics.

It's dumb. They aren't hurting anybody but themselves. Pacino, Eastwood, Selleck, Colbert, etc., etc. aren't affected in the least by their self-righteous boycotts.
Pacino's "Hoffa" reminded me of trump. The speeches and all.

Old 12-07-2019, 03:14 PM

384 posts, read 229,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
I enjoyed this film, in spite of the CGI, but think that it would have been better with younger actors in the early scenes. I was impressed by Pesci's performance, and also by the camera angles and the way Di Niro carried himself, which transformed him into a Frank Sheeran-sized man. Those gunboats (shoes) didn't hurt, either.

The main negative for me was Pacino as Hoffa. Most of it was because he didn't resemble Hoffa, but I didn't care for his acting, either. Still, not a bad flick, and much easier to watch at home.
I would have cast John Turturro as Hoffa. But what do I know.

Old 12-08-2019, 06:29 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times
Too long and laughed at the scene of Hoffa on the deck at his Lake Orion home and seeing a mountain in the background. I lived many years in Oxford, five miles north and believe me NO mountains. But, it was filmed in NY.
Also, grew up in Detroit and never say a street without a sidewalk.
Most would never note.
The movie was ok but took two days to watch since it was slow and could not keep my attention.

Old 12-10-2019, 03:07 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Too long! Dragged big time! Took me three nights to watch this -- booo! Thumb down to this overly protracted film!

Old 12-11-2019, 08:25 AM

5,462 posts, read 8,182,393 times
"The Irishman — a film no major studio was willing to bankroll — has been a hit for Netflix."

"The streaming service’s content chief Ted Sarandos said at a conference Tuesday that 26.4 million homes watched 70 percent or more of the star-studded mob epic in the first week since its release on Nov. 27. What’s more, Netflix estimates that figure will hit 40 million homes by the end of the year."

"In addition, The Irishman film earned an estimated $6.7 million in theaters in limited release. Plus, the film just received five Golden Globe nominations, including drama motion picture and best director for Martin Scorsese."

The whole story here: https://ew.com/movies/2019/12/10/net...an-viewership/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies