Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 08:01 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,187,363 times

Advertisements

I'm glad people are enjoying the film generally. I'll get around to watching it eventually, but haven't been able to bring myself to put on a 3.5 hour movie yet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2019, 03:21 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Peggy was an important figure in The Irishman.

She was “the observer” and didn't say a lot – she didn't have to – all you had to was look at her facial expressions and body language. It was good that she didn't talk a lot.

From an early age, she, the observer,” disowned her father, Frank. She knew he had no principles. He was just a gofer and "house painter" for the Russell Bufalino mob with no real purpose in life. He couldn't even belong to the mob because he was Irish. He even followed orders and killed his best friend, Jimmy Hoffa. Watching her father brutally beat and crush the hand of the shopkeeper for a minor infraction didn't make him her hero, it made her dislike him even more.

She liked Jimmy Hoffa because he, despite his faults, had a purpose in life – among other things, he loved the Teamsters Union, especially the men and women it represented and tried to improve their lives.

Frank could never figure this out. He spent his final days wondering why his daughter didn't want to have anything to do with him.
I agree with your analysis of Peggy’s character. But it would have been good to hear her own voice. And I am still tired of substantial movies that give us good characterizations of men, but ignore the lives of the women around them. It happens a lot. In many movies female characters exist only through the eyes of men.

Old 12-16-2019, 11:48 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,548,756 times
Enjoyed it...great to see Pesci again, surprised (and impressed) by Romano. I love the couple of little callbacks to Taxi Driver (the 'which guns to use' on the bed scene) and Goodfellas (Joe Pesci's death scene, the empty room). Hard to tell how much of Sheeran's story is true, but there WAS blood found deep within the grooves of the floorboards of the home Sheeran claimed it happened in.

Old 12-18-2019, 12:33 AM

3,319 posts, read 1,813,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
"The Irishman — a film no major studio was willing to bankroll — has been a hit for Netflix."

"The streaming service’s content chief Ted Sarandos said at a conference Tuesday that 26.4 million homes watched 70 percent or more of the star-studded mob epic in the first week since its release on Nov. 27. What’s more, Netflix estimates that figure will hit 40 million homes by the end of the year."

"In addition, The Irishman film earned an estimated $6.7 million in theaters in limited release. Plus, the film just received five Golden Globe nominations, including drama motion picture and best director for Martin Scorsese."

The whole story here: https://ew.com/movies/2019/12/10/net...an-viewership/
The tremendous variety and polarized nature of audience reception is GOLD for Netflix.
Who doesn't wanna watch and weigh in?

Old 12-18-2019, 12:38 AM

3,319 posts, read 1,813,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I agree with your analysis of Peggy’s character. But it would have been good to hear her own voice. And I am still tired of substantial movies that give us good characterizations of men, but ignore the lives of the women around them. It happens a lot. In many movies female characters exist only through the eyes of men.

Maybe it's because the stories are about men, written and usually produced by men?
This was a GANGSTER FLICK, FFS.
And not a great one, if you've read my previous .02 worth.
So....
Maybe more women should write more stories about uh, more women.
And maybe more women should band together and produce them.
Then spend money and go see them!
Let's not become Eskimos complaining about a lack of Eskimo movies, ok?

Last edited by PamelaIamela; 12-18-2019 at 12:48 AM..

Old 12-20-2019, 08:22 AM

669 posts, read 320,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
Enjoyed it...great to see Pesci again, surprised (and impressed) by Romano. I love the couple of little callbacks to Taxi Driver (the 'which guns to use' on the bed scene) and Goodfellas (Joe Pesci's death scene, the empty room). Hard to tell how much of Sheeran's story is true, but there WAS blood found deep within the grooves of the floorboards of the home Sheeran claimed it happened in.
Michael Franzese, a real respected former BOSS said it's a lie. He's got much more credibility imo than anybody else pretty much. Funnily, he's also one of the mobsters acknowledged in that famous long "hellow" scene in Goodfellas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogWjCmWzPGo

Old 12-20-2019, 08:25 AM

669 posts, read 320,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Maybe it's because the stories are about men, written and usually produced by men?
This was a GANGSTER FLICK, FFS.
And not a great one, if you've read my previous .02 worth.
So....
Maybe more women should write more stories about uh, more women.
And maybe more women should band together and produce them.
Then spend money and go see them!
Let's not become Eskimos complaining about a lack of Eskimo movies, ok?
Exactly!

As for the movie, which I will plan on seeing over the holidays, I think it's more of a reflection of the other type of movies out there that make this one stand out. As in it's not a Mega Franchise movie so it's reflecting a demand for the type of films that used to get made. Mainly script, just actors and period piece.

Old 12-20-2019, 02:46 PM

6,961 posts, read 2,695,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Has Scorsese ever made a bad movie???
I watched this last weekend. It is terrible. Very boring.

Old 07-10-2020, 07:26 AM

862 posts, read 519,268 times
You can tell this is an atrocious film because no one has posted about it in over 6 months.

It's so weird looking at the reviews, people clearly got caught up in the hype of Scorsesse, DeNiro, and Pacino being in a big mob film together, as is understandable.

I would love to see redo reviews now. This movie will clearly go down in history as one of the biggest disappointments ever.

Old 07-10-2020, 07:35 AM

3,687 posts, read 2,407,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyTwo View Post
You can tell this is an atrocious film because no one has posted about it in over 6 months.

It's so weird looking at the reviews, people clearly got caught up in the hype of Scorsesse, DeNiro, and Pacino being in a big mob film together, as is understandable.

I would love to see redo reviews now. This movie will clearly go down in history as one of the biggest disappointments ever.
Yes, I was very disappointed.

I didn't like anything about the film.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies