Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 09:04 AM

10,555 posts, read 7,755,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
.. But with SPACEBALLS it was evident he had nothing but disdain for the source material.
Perhaps that's why it worked for me. Also, I watched it with some kids who had seen Star Wars and they were laughing a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 09:16 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Perhaps that's why it worked for me. Also, I watched it with some kids who had seen Star Wars and they were laughing a lot.
The humor in YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN, BLAZING SADDLES, and GET SMART isn't just funny, it's smart. I can't say the same about SPACEBALLS. Yeah, it warrants a lot of chuckles in places. But it's all pretty dumb.

Old 12-02-2019, 10:58 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
SPACEBALLS is over-rated and honestly not very good. And I say that as an avid Mel Brooks fan.

There is a vital key to doing good satire, and Mel used to know it: You have to love and appreciate what you're satirizing to a degree. YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN is brilliant because it is evident that Brooks truly loved the original movie and genre. Same thing with BLAZING SADDLES or even GET SMART. But with SPACEBALLS it was evident he had nothing but disdain for the source material.
Brooks did not grow up with the Star Wars phenomena as he had with the old time horror flicks, cheesey musicals and cliche splattered westerns. Brooks was 50 years old when Star Wars came out and one's love of movie genres and specific films is usually formed between the ages of 12 and 25.

Old 12-02-2019, 11:03 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
SPACEBALLS is over-rated and honestly not very good. And I say that as an avid Mel Brooks fan.

There is a vital key to doing good satire, and Mel used to know it: You have to love and appreciate what you're satirizing to a degree. YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN is brilliant because it is evident that Brooks truly loved the original movie and genre. Same thing with BLAZING SADDLES or even GET SMART. But with SPACEBALLS it was evident he had nothing but disdain for the source material.

I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Brooks did not grow up with the Star Wars phenomena as he had with the old time horror flicks, cheesey musicals and cliche splattered westerns. Brooks was 50 years old when Star Wars came out and one's love of movie genres and specific films is usually formed between the ages of 12 and 25.

Good point.

Old 12-02-2019, 11:33 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,617,720 times
Quote:

Dude, Spaceballs is a silly good time. No need to dissect it. "JAM THE RADAR!"

Old 12-02-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Dude, Spaceballs is a silly good time.
It's funny. It's just not smart funny like Mel Brooks's better movies. It's dumb funny.

Old 12-02-2019, 12:26 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times
I find it interesting that the "unofficial" Star Wars movies are better than the "official" ones. I really like Rogue One, and I thought Solo was pretty good too. But The Force Awakens was only somewhat decent, and The Last Jedi was truly disappointing. I probably won't like The Rise of Skywalker much either, but I'll go see it anyway, just so I can complete the series.

Maybe they can focus on making the "unofficial" movies from here on out. Honestly, they're just better.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
It's funny. It's just not smart funny like Mel Brooks's better movies. It's dumb funny.
Yep, dumb = silly. It's a good time. You're the last person I'd expect to dunk on Spaceballs, haha.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Yep, dumb = silly. It's a good time. You're the last person I'd expect to dunk on Spaceballs, haha.
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I also disliked DRACULA: DEAD AND LOVING IT and ROBIN HOOD: MEN IN TIGHTS. Somehow, Mel lost his mojo in the '90s.

Old 12-03-2019, 12:25 PM

I admit I never saw DDaLI. Leslie Nielsen. About time I get on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies