Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 06:29 AM

1,456 posts, read 515,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I was raised on horror movies of every sort.
Same.

When I was little (4-5 years old), my parents often left me in the care of a family friend who ran a local cinema and he would take me to work with him where I could watch whatever was on that day. I saw Nosferatu and god knows how many Bela Lugosi films sitting in that projector room and none left me scarred. I loved those experiences, the smell of film and the glue used to fix tears, the noise the projector made, the black and white images, and even the cloud of cigarette smoke hanging in the air with trails of ghost images in it, all as vivid now as they were back then. I've not had a single nightmare from watching horror but had a recurrent one of atomic explosions and, rather randomly, a flying cow that used to wake me up screaming.

One of the schools I went to also ran a once a week horror movie night. As far as I can remember, there was no age restriction as most could be trusted to leave if they didn't like it. I guess a lot of the fear was lost through the enthusiastic cheering and general mockery that went on. That was around the time I was 7 or 8 and zombie/dead rising from the graves was all the rage back then.

Creepshow, Tales from the Crypt, Hammer House of Horror, and The Twilight Zone were all a staple of my diet.

If I were to add a random movie to the list of already suggested titles I'd say try Stephen King's Maximum Overdrive. Different kind of horror and something the two of you could make fun of together. And for just general odd eeriness, King's The Langoliers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 06:24 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Oh, and POLTERGEIST!

It's really not "scary." There are supernatural elements in it, yes, but it really isn't a horror movie per se. It's an adventure drama with ghosts. My daughter (who HATES horror movies) saw it when she was 11 and afterward said, "That wasn't scary at all."

It isn't the out-and-out comedy that GREMLINS is in places, but in terms of scares, POLTERGEIST is no scarier than GREMLINS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies