Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 05:59 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,553,199 times

Advertisements

Billy Jack isn't a "bad movie" in any way, shape or form. It's message transcends the lack of acting skills or other technical shortcomings. The opening of the film is extremely powerful, and the message carries through to the end.
Scumbag people chase down and corral wild horses so they can massacre them to make a few bucks selling them to the glue factory. If that isn't evil, I don't know what is. This same evil force, which symbolizes mainstream society, continues through the film, and Billy Jack, once a part of it now an outsider, stands against it all.
Look at factory farming and the way mainstream society treats the environment and each other in general, yes - mainstream society is evil.
It's a brilliant film and should never be put in the category of bad movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2019, 06:41 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,245,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Billy Jack isn't a "bad movie" in any way, shape or form. It's message transcends the lack of acting skills or other technical shortcomings. The opening of the film is extremely powerful, and the message carries through to the end.
Scumbag people chase down and corral wild horses so they can massacre them to make a few bucks selling them to the glue factory. If that isn't evil, I don't know what is. This same evil force, which symbolizes mainstream society, continues through the film, and Billy Jack, once a part of it now an outsider, stands against it all.
Look at factory farming and the way mainstream society treats the environment and each other in general, yes - mainstream society is evil.
What you're describing is a sermon. Even if the message of BILLY JACK is a good one --- personally, I think it's muddled at best --- as a movie it is at best inept.

The leads can't act.

The writer has no sense of dialogue at all. "When policemen break the law, then there isn't any law. Just a fight for survival. " Seriously. Who talks like that???

The story tries to honor Native American culture, but gets almost all the major details completely wrong. Maybe the library was closed the day they were writing those scenes? 'Cause I think they just made most of it up.

It's preachy.

All that said ... I love every second of it. If I made a list of my favorite movies from the '70s, BILLY JACK would definitely be in the Top 20. Might even crack the Top 10 if I'm in the right mood.

But a well made movie? It isn't. It's a film that succeeds in spite of itself, not because of it.

Old 11-01-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
What you're describing is a sermon. Even if the message of BILLY JACK is a good one --- personally, I think it's muddled at best --- as a movie it is at best inept.

The leads can't act.

The writer has no sense of dialogue at all. "When policemen break the law, then there isn't any law. Just a fight for survival. " Seriously. Who talks like that???

The story tries to honor Native American culture, but gets almost all the major details completely wrong. Maybe the library was closed the day they were writing those scenes? 'Cause I think they just made most of it up.

It's preachy.

All that said ... I love every second of it. If I made a list of my favorite movies from the '70s, BILLY JACK would definitely be in the Top 20. Might even crack the Top 10 if I'm in the right mood.

But a well made movie? It isn't. It's a film that succeeds in spite of itself, not because of it.
Again, it succeeds despite horrible acting, writing exaggerations and inaccuracies because of it's message. It's a classic because all of it's technical shortcomings are overlooked for the greatness of the story and the message. Underneath it all there is a lot of truth in this movie, and Tom is one of my favorite movie heroes of all time. Ironically trained to fight by the military, he felt empathy for powerless and discriminated against people as well as animals, and was willing to defend them with his life. A character like that could only come from the mind of an individual rather than the movie industry, it's a minor miracle the film got made at all.

Last edited by duke944; 11-01-2019 at 10:23 AM..

Old 11-04-2019, 02:11 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,255,215 times
Quote:
The bold sentence is exactly why it's such a bad movie. Selling horses to the glue factory (actually it was a dogfood plant) was not a profitable venture in 1971. Occasionally an order buyer from the dogfood plant would come through and offer to buy any aging, lame, or otherwise unwanted horses for a few pennies a pound, but there wasn't enough money in it to justify taking a crew out and rounding up wild horses to sell for dog food. It would have been more realistic if he were shooting them to keep them from eating the grass.

Old 11-04-2019, 04:39 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,852,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
The bold sentence is exactly why it's such a bad movie. Selling horses to the glue factory (actually it was a dogfood plant) was not a profitable venture in 1971. Occasionally an order buyer from the dogfood plant would come through and offer to buy any aging, lame, or otherwise unwanted horses for a few pennies a pound, but there wasn't enough money in it to justify taking a crew out and rounding up wild horses to sell for dog food. It would have been more realistic if he were shooting them to keep them from eating the grass.
You don't understand. That represented people who would destroy someone's wild and free spirit, just for personal gain.

Old 11-04-2019, 05:17 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,104,856 times
There is not understanding some piece of symbolism, and there is also understanding it but finding the execution inept.

Old 11-04-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
It's been a long time since I saw this movie, but dogfood or glue factory, what they were doing was atrocious - and Billy Jack stopped them. The way people treat animals bothers me even more than the way they treat each other, probably because I dislike the human race in general. There are some good people, but most simply suck.

Old 11-04-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I dislike the human race in general. There are some good people, but most simply suck.
Go ahead and hate your neighbor.
Go ahead and cheat a friend.
Do it in the name of Heaven.
You can justify it in the end.

Old 11-05-2019, 06:35 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,121,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Go ahead and hate your neighbor.
Go ahead and cheat a friend.
Do it in the name of Heaven.
You can justify it in the end.

Really?

Old 11-05-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Really?
Hey, I'm just the messenger. I didn't write it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Tin_Soldier
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies