Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 11:16 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,295,095 times

Advertisements

Can't wait-- it is not in my city yet.

I hear fabulous things about her!
And I believe them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2019, 11:48 AM

512 posts, read 319,478 times
I read that Zellweger is actually doing her own singing. WTF?
Judy Garland had a very distinctive vocal instrument and style. I find it hard to believe that Ms. Zellweger, as talented as she is, can replicate the unique cadences, tics, and rhythms of Ms. Garland's one-of-a-kind voice.

Old 09-28-2019, 12:45 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,685,411 times
I think those who fixate on appearance are missing the point of drama. Any general physical similarity should be sufficient; the skill to pull off the role in terms of acting as far more important than the specifics of appearance.

Old 09-28-2019, 03:26 PM

879 posts, read 614,469 times
Renee is a favorite of mine. I can recommend her performance in a obscure film, which was released about 20 years ago. The title is 'A Price Above Rubies.'

In this film, she portrays a married Orthodox Jewish woman who has an extra marital affair. When this is discovered by family members, her character is locked out of her apartment, divorced and ostracized.

Reviews of this movie were mixed, but Zellweger's performance was spot on.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:28 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,697,706 times
I saw it
Zellweger was very good
Script and some other aspects are not as strong as better bio-pics like Tina Turner’s
She did her own vocals—some very good but her voice is not Garland’s...

Old 10-03-2019, 10:01 AM

50,469 posts, read 24,054,533 times
It's difficult when they're trying to portray a real-life character from modern times, as compared to a character from the distant past. When I see someone portray, for example, Thomas Jefferson, I have no real way to judge the performance. But I remember Judy Garland while she was still living well enough, and can still go to old films and You Tube and see her "in person", and so that type of portrayal almost requires mimicry to satisfy everyone.

I remember the different receptions that have been given to films about LBJ...same issue.

Old 10-09-2019, 02:07 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,222,477 times
I want her to get an Oscar.

Old 10-09-2019, 03:37 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,008,967 times
Ugh - Renee Zellweger's squinty eyes and whiny voice are a huge turn off for me. I generally avoid her movies. (Except the Bridget Jones movies, it works there)

Old 10-11-2019, 03:55 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,295,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
I want her to get an Oscar.
Well, I certainly agree after seeing it today!!!!
Now, for me, I asked my friend after 25 min in, "Is it just me or am I the only one bored...and would leave if I were alone?"
She said, "It's not just that, but it's SO depressing! Let's wait and see if she actually sings
(in her London concert.)" She did and it picked up!
I AM glad I saw it...but it was tough to get through...just think , she lived it!!!! She couldn't sleep, she couldn't eat, she never drank water, loved Vodka, smoked...of course, she died young!
Oh, that Louie B. Mayer...like the devil.*

Rene captured the drug eyes, yet, the immense charm and fake smiles of Judy....AND the skinny-ness!
Of course her voice isn't Judy's, but she captured some of the lisps and of course the PAIN!

"The show must go on"....unless you don't have the right people that know how to get you on stage.
You say the right sentence and that pokes anyone to do the job.

*They do not deal with this in the film Wiki: "...that Garland, one of the world’s most famous actresses, was groped and harassed repeatedly by Louis B. Mayer, the famed producer and co-founder of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer studios."
*"Mayer would invariably place his hand on her left breast to show just where her heart was."
In the movie a drop!

Rene lost so much weight, studied Judy's 'nuances' ..my gosh, I WILL her to get the Oscar!

Old 10-11-2019, 08:31 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,697,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Well, I certainly agree after seeing it today!!!!
Now, for me, I asked my friend after 25 min in, "Is it just me or am I the only one bored...and would leave if I were alone?"
She said, "It's not just that, but it's SO depressing! Let's wait and see if she actually sings
(in her London concert.)" She did and it picked up!
I AM glad I saw it...but it was tough to get through...just think , she lived it!!!! She couldn't sleep, she couldn't eat, she never drank water, loved Vodka, smoked...of course, she died young!
Oh, that Louie B. Mayer...like the devil.*

Rene captured the drug eyes, yet, the immense charm and fake smiles of Judy....AND the skinny-ness!
Of course her voice isn't Judy's, but she captured some of the lisps and of course the PAIN!

"The show must go on"....unless you don't have the right people that know how to get you on stage.
You say the right sentence and that pokes anyone to do the job.

*They do not deal with this in the film Wiki: "...that Garland, one of the world’s most famous actresses, was groped and harassed repeatedly by Louis B. Mayer, the famed producer and co-founder of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer studios."
*"Mayer would invariably place his hand on her left breast to show just where her heart was."
In the movie a drop!

Rene lost so much weight, studied Judy's 'nuances' ..my gosh, I WILL her to get the Oscar!
I certainly got the idea that Mayer groped her and likely could have done worse—
And she wasn’t the only young female treated that way in Hollywood
But don’t just blame Mayer
Her mother was as bad as any slave owner in the South=considered her daughter a commodity to be sold

To me, the movie spoke to how cut throat the business was (and likely still is) that she had absolutely no friends that she could depend on...
You saw how much she really enjoyed being with the two gay men at their home
They were average people who respected her talent—
It is difficult to believe that no one she worked with or came in contact with cared enough about her to have a real friendship
Not even her sisters and she supported her family for years with her talent...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies