Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2019, 10:43 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,414,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackF View Post
Just now back from seeing it. Highly recommended. Very interesting, I didn’t pay a lot of attention to the news 23 years ago so this film fascinated me. Great acting throughout...liberals will hate this film, it exposes the crooked MSM and FBI.
Not me - I loved the movie! Very well put together, with excellent acting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2019, 06:19 AM

747 posts, read 838,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
Not me - I loved the movie! Very well put together, with excellent acting.
So did I. It put the deception by the FBI and the fake news media in the spotlight. I plan to see it again.

Old 12-16-2019, 06:30 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
I liked that it showed WHY Richard Jewell became such a strong suspect and so quickly.

Old 12-16-2019, 05:07 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,822,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I liked that it showed WHY Richard Jewell became such a strong suspect and so quickly.
Exactly, he was his own worst enemy. I really liked the film and including the Macarena was a really humorous touch!

Old 12-16-2019, 08:44 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,944,634 times
I saw it this evening. I thought it was a great movie but, like all recent Eastwood movies, they tend to be longer than necessary. They drag on a tad too long but they are enjoyable flicks.

Old 12-16-2019, 08:50 PM

2,981 posts, read 1,747,194 times
There was some fantastic acting in this film, the unknown actor (to me) who portrayed RJ was off the charts fantastic. So was Sam Rockwell. Olivia Wilde, Jon Hamm and Kathy Bates were great too. I’d hope they’ll get some recognition, but doubtful the academy will reward them since the film/Eastwood has a conservative bent.

Old 12-20-2019, 03:08 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,492 times
I love the irony in this. The AJC basically ruined this guys life on fake news, yet the AJC is trying to sue Clint for the portrayal of the reporter that ruined his life.

Old 12-20-2019, 07:27 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
Anyone seeking insights into just how bad this movie sucks should read this article. The comments with the article are also excellent (tip: sort them by 'most liked' to see the best ones).

Excerpt: Films marketed as conveying “a true story” have an obligation to respect the moments — and people — upon which the narrative turns. When they malign real people, distort the facts or invent them to amp up the drama, they disrespect their audiences. In “Richard Jewell,” those distortions join the sustained and alarming assault on the credibility of the nation’s news organizations. A ludicrous and short scene in the film sets the table: We’re at Jewell’s apartment, where the hero-turned-suspect in the 1996 Atlanta Olympic bombing lives with his mother. The media swarms outside. As Jewell’s lawyer escapes in his car, a reporter for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution pops up in the back seat to demand an interview. The lawyer refuses and insists she get out. That never happened. And serious journalists don’t operate that way. It’s just one of the film’s many phony cheap shots at journalists. But it’s not close to the worst. The film reinforces misinformed beliefs about professional reporting with a series of situations that portray journalists as untrustworthy and unprincipled.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-21-2019, 09:29 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times
Friendly reminder from your Movies subforum Moderator: There are deleted posts in this thread due to being off topic. Please remember to keep posts on topic to the movie itself. Commentary about used car salesmen, journalists and namecalling are not within the TOS. Thank you!

Old 12-21-2019, 09:46 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,836,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Anyone seeking insights into just how bad this movie sucks should read this article. The comments with the article are also excellent (tip: sort them by 'most liked' to see the best ones).

Excerpt: Films marketed as conveying “a true story” have an obligation to respect the moments — and people — upon which the narrative turns. When they malign real people, distort the facts or invent them to amp up the drama, they disrespect their audiences. In “Richard Jewell,” those distortions join the sustained and alarming assault on the credibility of the nation’s news organizations. A ludicrous and short scene in the film sets the table: We’re at Jewell’s apartment, where the hero-turned-suspect in the 1996 Atlanta Olympic bombing lives with his mother. The media swarms outside. As Jewell’s lawyer escapes in his car, a reporter for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution pops up in the back seat to demand an interview. The lawyer refuses and insists she get out. That never happened. And serious journalists don’t operate that way. It’s just one of the film’s many phony cheap shots at journalists. But it’s not close to the worst. The film reinforces misinformed beliefs about professional reporting with a series of situations that portray journalists as untrustworthy and unprincipled.

Actually the lawyer himself is a fictional character based upon Lin Wood.

Also the implication the journalist had sex with the FBI agent to get the information is being highly disputed by her colleagues.

But whatever, there is no "true story" that remains faithful to the facts. Just saw Bombshell and the character who sucked off Roger Ailes is also a completely made up character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies