Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 09:10 PM

185 posts, read 96,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The Matrix.

I feel the same. The "Bullet Time" was definitely cool, ground breaking and has had a huge cultural impact but I definitely think they are a bit over hyped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2019, 10:03 PM

512 posts, read 321,412 times
Avengers: Endgame and ...95 % of the MCU movies. I cannot belive that crap like Dr. Strange, Civil War, and Captain Marvel got so many critical accolades. It's beyond mind-boggling to me. What the **** is Disney doing to have movie critics across the board in such thrall to the MCU? Yuck.

Old 12-19-2019, 10:30 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
"Snowpiercer" didn't click for me either. End of the world on a train? Please! Trains are dependent on too much going right for it to even begin to induce willing suspension of disbelief. I expected to see Dagny Taggart and Henry Rearden show up and stage a miracle.

Of course ANY evaluation of a film is going to be based on personal bias and experience. IME "Love Story" was over-rated, as was "Jonathan Livingston Seagull." (Both were wildly popular when they were released.)

It can be important to differentiate between how a film is received and reviewed rather than how much it is hyped by the studio or distributor - or worse yet, played to the Hollywood elite in hopes of award nominations. "For your consideration: ... " I would also argue that a film needs about twenty years to get out of the context of the times and stand on its own merits. Some don't hold up well over time, and some become more appreciated.

Personally, I never cared for "Slumdog Millionaire," although it is technically proficient. IMO, it didn't deserve the attention it got.

Old 12-19-2019, 11:15 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,237,720 times
Top gun

Old 12-20-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
"Snowpiercer" didn't click for me either. End of the world on a train? Please! Trains are dependent on too much going right for it to even begin to induce willing suspension of disbelief. I expected to see Dagny Taggart and Henry Rearden show up and stage a miracle.

Of course ANY evaluation of a film is going to be based on personal bias and experience. IME "Love Story" was over-rated, as was "Jonathan Livingston Seagull." (Both were wildly popular when they were released.)

It can be important to differentiate between how a film is received and reviewed rather than how much it is hyped by the studio or distributor - or worse yet, played to the Hollywood elite in hopes of award nominations. "For your consideration: ... " I would also argue that a film needs about twenty years to get out of the context of the times and stand on its own merits. Some don't hold up well over time, and some become more appreciated.

Personally, I never cared for "Slumdog Millionaire," although it is technically proficient. IMO, it didn't deserve the attention it got.

BOOM. For some reason I couldn't quite articulate why I couldn't get into Snowpiercer but what you mentioned is the exact reason. I just wasn't buying the whole "end of the world on a train" scenario. And I'm all for suspending my beliefs but it just didn't work for me. BILLIONS of people on this planet and only a few hundred thousand people get to be selected on the train? Too many questions and I just couldn't see how it all works. The Dagny Taggart and Henry Rearden references were funny!

Old 12-20-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramasfella View Post
Avengers: Endgame and ...95 % of the MCU movies. I cannot belive that crap like Dr. Strange, Civil War, and Captain Marvel got so many critical accolades. It's beyond mind-boggling to me. What the **** is Disney doing to have movie critics across the board in such thrall to the MCU? Yuck.

Endgame was so damn overrated to me. Infinity Wars I did enjoy a lot but Endgame was just pure garbage to me. And I agree, most of the MCU movies are "okay" to me at best. There's some I do enjoy a lot but most of them are movies I'll watch on long plane or train trip to kill the time. "Trip Movies" as I like to call them.

Old 12-20-2019, 02:58 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,237,720 times
Matrix
Any superhero movies

Old 12-20-2019, 03:02 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramasfella View Post
I've tried to watch Marvel movies, but i just turn them off. They're so bad and we tried again with Wonder Women, the dialogue was brutal. I think the wife and I turned it off and watched HGTV.

It blew my mind that Guardians is like top 3 grossing movies? Turned it off after like 20 minutes.

Anyway Marvel and Tarrentino movies. Just can't do it.

Old 12-20-2019, 03:35 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,881,563 times
Avatar- Hated it! Slogged through most but the last scenes made me gag so constant I had to shut it down.

The Descendants w/ George Clooney. Went to the cinema with two friends, had to bug out about 1/2 in. I've never suffered through an entire cast where I couldn't like or respect at least something in one of the characters.

George- weak
Injured wife- Cheater

Kids- Foul and horrific

In-laws- Selfish

Old 12-20-2019, 04:02 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Avatar- Hated it! Slogged through most but the last scenes made me gag so constant I had to shut it down.

The Descendants w/ George Clooney. Went to the cinema with two friends, had to bug out about 1/2 in. I've never suffered through an entire cast where I couldn't like or respect at least something in one of the characters.

George- weak
Injured wife- Cheater

Kids- Foul and horrific

In-laws- Selfish
Yes on Avatar! Terrible Movie!

Also I will put any Disney Star Wars film completely sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies