Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 07:45 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,139,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
https://www.tmz.com/2020/02/05/kirk-...mpression=true

RIP. Awesome he lived so long though
I'm not sure it's "awesome" that he lived so long.

What's impressive is that he is associated with so many good movies, that he hired an "untouchable" blacklisted writer, and that he was an early example of an actor with his own production company.

How Izzy Demsky became Kirk Douglas
https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...ywood-makeover
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2020, 11:24 AM

4,524 posts, read 5,096,608 times
Kirk was such a diversified actor. Here are just some of his (non-"Spartacus") performances that stood out to me:

"Detective Story"

"Ace in the Hole" (Billy Wilder's dark drama)

Then, he also he could also stretch and do biolgraphicals like:

"Lust for Life" (portraying van Gogh)

"Young Man with a Horn" (chronicling the short, complicated life of jazz trumpeter Bix Beiderbecke -- note: I'm a jazz fan)

... I also liked Kirk in "Out of the Past" which many film pundits consider the foundational/penultimate film noir movie... It's true that young, largely unknown Douglas (unknown to movie goers not theater lovers) played 2nd billing to Robert Mitchum and Jane Greer, but Kirk was still very effective in his role and I'm sure turned heads at the studios leading to larger roles.

I'm sure, like most intense, serious actors, Kirk had to let his hair down and do a comedy at one time or another, I just can't think of one.

... he was quite an amazing man, actor and dad who led the long and full life we could all hope for.

Old 02-07-2020, 11:46 AM

884 posts, read 623,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Kirk was such a diversified actor. Here are just some of his (non-"Spartacus") performances that stood out to me:

"Detective Story"

"Ace in the Hole" (Billy Wilder's dark drama)

Then, he also he could also stretch and do biolgraphicals like:

"Lust for Life" (portraying van Gogh)

"Young Man with a Horn" (chronicling the short, complicated life of jazz trumpeter Bix Beiderbecke -- note: I'm a jazz fan)

... I also liked Kirk in "Out of the Past" which many film pundits consider the foundational/penultimate film noir movie... It's true that young, largely unknown Douglas (unknown to movie goers not theater lovers) played 2nd billing to Robert Mitchum and Jane Greer, but Kirk was still very effective in his role and I'm sure turned heads at the studios leading to larger roles.

I'm sure, like most intense, serious actors, Kirk had to let his hair down and do a comedy at one time or another, I just can't think of one.

... he was quite an amazing man, actor and dad who led the long and full life we could all hope for.

I wrote of "Detective Story" in this forum. Also, I agree with the recommendation of "Ace in the Hole." This film was also released in 1951, which was the same year as "Detective Story."

Kirk Douglas portrayed a down-on-his-luck reporter. This movie showed the relationship between the press and the news which it reports. And, the manner in which the news is reported. It also illustrated how a gullible public can be manipulated by the press.

This is an obscure and great film.

Last edited by Nearwest; 02-07-2020 at 12:51 PM..

Old 02-07-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearwest View Post
I wrote of "Detective Story" in this forum. Also, I agree with the recommendation of "Ace in the Hole." This film was also released in 1951, which was the same year as "Detective Story."

Kirk Douglas portrayed a down-on-his-luck reporter. This movie showed the relationship between the press and the news which it reports. And, the manner in which the news is reported. It also illustrated how a gullible public can be manipulated by the press.

This is an obscure and great film.
Yes! I believe "Ace in the Hole" was Kirk's greatest, darkest, most intense performance ever -- by him, or any other actor, for that matter... The film also enhanced Billy Wilder as one of the greatest writers/directors who truly understood and plumbed the depths of human vices on film: avarice, jealousy, bullying, infidelity, etc. (ie "Double Indemnity", "Sunset Boulevard," ... and even the lighter, more farcical "The Fortune Cookie" (earning Walter Matthau his only Oscar) ... Wilder's sharp, tightly written characters and dialogue were a natural fit for Kirk Douglas, who cut his teeth on the stage.

Old 02-07-2020, 01:24 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Another of my favorites is "The Devil's Disciple"

Old 02-07-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Another of my favorites is "The Devil's Disciple"
Good one!

Old 02-08-2020, 09:46 AM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Good one!
It sure had an unforgettable cast -- Kirk, Burt Lancaster, and Laurence Olivier.

Old 02-09-2020, 11:41 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,648,815 times
I didn't realize until reading his obituary that he had broken the blacklist by insisting that Dalton Trumbo get screenwriting credit for Spartacus. I don't recall seeing him in much, but he deserves great honor for that.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:58 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,234,324 times
A great actor, hearthrob of the 50s, early 60s. I watched a commentary track of "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" and the commentator said that they worked hard to find excuses for him to take his shirt off, lol.

Amazing that he had such a long life after (mostly) retiring in the mid-90s.

Old 02-10-2020, 11:19 AM

24,475 posts, read 17,215,678 times
Douglas was terrific a living legend from the days of the silver screen. I recently watched him in "The Vikings" and "Ace in a Hole" which was a very good take on what vultures the press can be when they are diving in for a chunk of a bloody story. It was very relevant in 1951 and certainly now. Watch it.

RIP Douglas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies