Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 04:43 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,198,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Not really. Spacey is a bit of a monster, and everyone in Hollywood has known it since at least the '90s. Only a teeny tiny bit of his actual behavior has been publicized by the media. If you ask around in Hollywood, his behavior is notorious. The guy isn't just gay. Being gay if fashionable in Hollywood. Spacey is a predator and has been for years.
Maybe. And I won't try to defend him. But such rumors are rampant for nearly every notable in H'wood and his exile is more or less based on one claim that somehow evaporated when the victim was called on to prove it.

It's not his being gay: it's being opaquely coy about it for far too long and having it be a sordid component of the claims. Something that should have been "oh, really" and was pressurized into old-school scandal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2020, 09:33 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,300,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHair View Post
I will watch Jane Fonda prior to her trip to Vietnam. After that, no way in hell. So … Barberella.
Yup, she is the only one whose films I won't watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Angelina Jolie? What did she do?
She dumped Brad.

Quote:
Not really. Spacey is a bit of a monster, and everyone in Hollywood has known it since at least the '90s. Only a teeny tiny bit of his actual behavior has been publicized by the media. If you ask around in Hollywood, his behavior is notorious. The guy isn't just gay. Being gay if fashionable in Hollywood. Spacey is a predator and has been for years.
Spacey was no different than any gay man in LA, except in his case he had guys literally throwing themselves at him.

It has been 3 years since he was accused. Where are the criminal charges? The lawsuits? It's super easy to destroy someone's reputation, but it gets dicey when you have to go under oath and provide details and proof.

Old 05-20-2020, 06:15 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
It has been 3 years since he was accused. Where are the criminal charges? The lawsuits? It's super easy to destroy someone's reputation, but it gets dicey when you have to go under oath and provide details and proof.
Well it's kind of hard to go under oath and provide details and proof when you're dead. One of his accusers died of cancer.

Old 05-20-2020, 06:16 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Spacey was no different than any gay man in LA, except in his case he had guys literally throwing themselves at him.
No. Ask around. Spacey was a notorious predator with a long train of victims behind him. It's one of the reasons there wasn't a lot of cultural pressure for Spacey to come out of the closet. Everyone knew what a monster he was, and no one really wanted him on the team. And I do mean "everyone." I am hardly a Hollywood insider, but I knew a few people in those circles, and stories about Spacey were already widely known throughout the industry at least as far back as the '90s. The stuff that actually came out in the media isn't even half of it.

That said ... Spacey is hardly alone in his behavior. He was scapegoated. Lots and lots of powerful people in Hollywood have done things far worse without consequences.

Old 05-20-2020, 07:50 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,125,092 times
Some I can and some I cannot. I guess it depends on what they did and how I feel about that particular thing. Like mentioned earlier, I cannot usually look at the face and separate the incident or the personality. I don't begrudge anyone a few indiscretions but there are a few I simply cannot watch anything they are in.

Old 05-20-2020, 07:56 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,257,461 times
I do find it difficult to watch O.J. Simpson being funny (and he really WAS pretty funny) in the "Naked Gun" movies.

Old 05-20-2020, 01:30 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
What have you got against Allen? People seem to think he married his own daughter, or molested some child. He did neither. Soon-Yi Previn was the adopted daughter of Mia Farrow and Andre Previn when they were married. She is not a blood relative of Farrow or Allen or even Previn. She was 22 years old, not a child, when the romance with Allen began. Soon-Yi had a great many things to say about Farrow's notions of being a mother, none very flattering. Finally, contrary to what seems to be believed, Farrow and Allen were never married, nor did they even live together. They each had their own apartments on opposite sides of Central Park. Their actual relationship was an extended, on and off sort of thing.

What in all this is it that is supposed to make Allen such a moral abomination?
+1

Not to mention they have been happily married for 23 years.

A helluva longer than Mia and Frank, Mia and Andre, and abut 98.5% of Hollywood.

Old 05-20-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
No. Ask around. Spacey was a notorious predator with a long train of victims behind him.
Not dismissing this, but industry rumors are just that; everyone has stories and some of the nastiest are about those who seem the most upright and pleasant and so forth.

Actual accusations against Spacey seemed to boil down to one or two, and the centerpiece one that is more or less the reason he was blacklisted has gone down some murky and questionable roads, with just perhaps the young man making the claim not quite as 'innocent' as he presented himself. And unless I missed something, Spacey was a 'seducer,' not a rapist. There is a difference.

I dunno. It's kind of an ugly industry that attracts and rewards those who are pretty ugly on the inside. At what point does an actor have to be morally clear to be accepted as an actor?

Old 05-20-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
What in all this is it that is supposed to make Allen such a moral abomination?
No one who has served as a parental figure can marry that child without there being some serious moral implications. The genetic and marital history is irrelevant; the first merely removes outright incest as legally defined. (And, I believe, the concept is extended to foster and adopted children even though there is no genetic/biblical notion of incest involved.) IOW, Allen could only marry her because she was not his child genetically or (by a technical margin) legally. She was still a minor under his parentage for a number of years.

Boo-yah that they have such a happy marriage. Yay. He's still tainted by his choice. (And, frankly, it's the least of the reasons I can't stand the little wart.)

Old 05-20-2020, 01:57 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
Spacey was a 'seducer,' not a rapist. There is a difference.
Spacey was a seducer in the same way that Harvey Weinstein was a seducer. The only difference is that Spacey preyed on young men instead of women. They both used their influence and power to take advantage of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies