Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 10:00 AM

19,732 posts, read 20,281,285 times

Advertisements

Most of them.

I'm not a fan of remakes, and don't watch them. Especially if the original was made during my lifetime.

It's redundant and shows a real lack of both creativity and innovation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 10:33 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,659,006 times
If first attempt to make movie from book sucks, but book good, then sure. But if first was halfway decent, just watch the first one. Its waste of everybody's time and money to redo with current crop of actors and special effects. There are plenty of stories never made into a movie.

The real reason remakes get done is somebody looking for guaranteed return on investment. A proven concept so to speak. I rather go to a movie with fresh story that turns out horrible than remake of an old beloved film, no matter how well its done.

Old 07-18-2020, 05:28 PM

1,940 posts, read 704,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Taking of Pelham 123-will not watch the 2009 version, to me the original is the only one to watch

Foot loose- they re-made this one I think in 2011 but I refuse to watch it.

Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory they made a similar version with Johnny Depp, but no one can replace Gene Wilder's character.

I agree with all three. I'll also add the original The Bad News Bears was so so good I still haven't seen
the remake with Billy Bob Thornton. Pyscho was another bad remake. I still haven't seen any
of the Halloween remakes either.

Old 07-21-2020, 02:26 PM

7,021 posts, read 2,722,931 times
Ghostbusters
Charlies Angels

Old 07-21-2020, 02:30 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,650,137 times
I still haven't been able to bring myself to watch the "Ghostbusters" remake. I just can't do it. The original was great, I loved it as a kid, and I have no desire to see it done any differently than it was originally. Nothing against the ladies who starred in the film. All of them are hilarious and I've enjoyed many different movies and shows that they starred in. I just didn't have any desire to see them in a "Ghostbusters" reboot.

Old 07-21-2020, 02:36 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,650,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Scoops View Post
I agree with all three. I'll also add the original The Bad News Bears was so so good I still haven't seen
the remake with Billy Bob Thornton. Pyscho was another bad remake. I still haven't seen any
The "Halloween" movies done by Rob Zombie aren't so much remakes. The first one is more an origin story, and the second is just weird. But I still enjoyed them both because I can't help but enjoy most horror movies. Now, the most recent Halloween film that came out was actually done by John Carpenter and was meant to be the end to the story line he created in the first 2 original movies. However, the movie still felt a bit off, because in a previous Moustapha Akkad produced Halloween movie Laurie Stroad was killed off. But in Carpenter's Halloweenaverse, she was still alive so she was brought back for his final movie. That really threw things off for me.

Old 07-21-2020, 06:17 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,154,081 times
Sometimes it takes awhile before they finally get it right. Before "Tombstone" the O.K. Corral gunfight story was depicted in "My Darling Clementine" (1946), "Gunfight at the O.K. Corral" (1957), "Hour of the Gun" (1967), and "Doc" (1969)

Old 07-21-2020, 06:37 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,734,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
The Day The Earth Stood Still

The black and white original is much better than the remake, in my opinion.

I can rewatch the original no problem, but if I see the remake on the channel guide....skip.
Yep! Number one on my list for this topic with no others even close. I have the 1951 DVD and watch it often. It is one of the finest movies of any kind ever made. Michael Rennie was so good in it and so perfectly suited to the role that it is, in a sense, difficult to believe that he was actually human.

The remake is blasphemy.

Old 07-21-2020, 06:42 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,880,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Taking of Pelham 123-will not watch the 2009 version, to me the original is the only one to watch

Foot loose- they re-made this one I think in 2011 but I refuse to watch it.

Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory they made a similar version with Johnny Depp, but no one can replace Gene Wilder's character.
Those are 3 that I would choose also.

Old 07-21-2020, 06:44 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,880,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Scoops View Post
More good choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies