Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2008, 01:07 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,543,686 times

Advertisements

Well, since none of you bushwhackers has started a thread on this movie, I reckon I will.

What I liked best was it was a horse of a different color. Meaning, it was a pleasant surprise, not just the usual shoot-em-ups and chase scenes. I am no movie critic, nor will I review the actor's performances (as if I could), or the score. I don't even remember the music..

But I will offer my opinion. I enjoyed it. The scenery was great and it had some moments that made me laugh. It was a good change of pace from blue screen special affects and multi-kajillion dollar budgets.

Renee Zellwegger (sp?) did such a fine job, I ended up hating her character by the end of the movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 04:42 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,192,306 times
I really look forward to this movie. I read about the story and the unusual (for today) lack of heavy CGI stuff. This looks like a great western, like we haven't seen for a long time.

Riding Tall in the Saddle - washingtonpost.com

Old 10-04-2008, 04:48 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,543,686 times
Yeah, we got home and I was curious what was on the Youtube offical trailer for this movie,... and it was bizarre.

Didn't even come close to the actual movie. Normally the trailers show all the best scenes that make you want to watch the movie.

But the whole of this movie was better than the sum of its parts.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:26 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,331,418 times
I love westerns, Ed Harris and Viggo, so I cannot say anything too bad about this flick. I really enjoyed Ed's chararcter until he turned into a hen-pecked sap. Renee did not look her best in this film and I could not help but wonder why they did not get a better looking or younger girl for this part. It they had Ed's character would have been more believable. After seeing the previews for this western, I expected it to be on the same caliber as Tomb Stone with Kurt Russel and Val Kilmer, but it fell way short. If anyone likes Westerns I would still recommend seeing this film. If u go in without high expectations u will likely enjoy this movie.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:52 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
This still isn't showing in my area. Grrr.

It's based on the Robert Parker novel of the same name. I haven't read it, but I did read his Wyatt Earp Western, which was quite good.

Can't wait to see this!

Old 10-09-2008, 08:38 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,736,593 times
Glad to hear about the favorable reviews from you all. Makes me feel more confident to watch it this weekend. Thanks!

Old 10-11-2008, 02:14 PM

965 posts, read 4,501,755 times
I saw this movie today and thought it was very good. Never knew cowboys wore their pants so tight.

I could have killed Renee Z. I found her to be very believable. She had to compensate for her lack of breathtaking beauty, considering the time period.

I need to ask someone a question about a scene at the end of the movie. Would anyone who saw the movie be willing to let me DM them with my question? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies