Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2020, 08:47 AM

22,923 posts, read 28,293,525 times

Advertisements

Pretty obvious Nicholas Cage just doesn't care anymore. And I am okay with that. Bring it on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhIx...ab_channel=IGN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2020, 09:14 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,966,007 times
Frank Grillo is in this too? Why? He has some gigs going for him.

Old 12-02-2020, 06:37 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,830,701 times
I finally got around to watching this movie.
After about 20 or so minutes, I shut it off in disgust, (before N Cage even showed up).

The plot was weird, the acting so so, settings and props were fine, and:
The hand-to-hand fighting was well choreographed, but also had some massive problems.
Spoiler
Just a few minutes into the movie there was a massive fight scene. An entire military camp vs. two guys.
That would be fun to watch, except this is in modern times, against what were presented as elite modern military and military-trained forces. Almost all of whom forgot their training and just ran in to fight hand-to-hand. Sometimes with knives, but mostly not.
The good guys would run a bit and the bad guys all seem to drop their rifles, pistols, grenades, and anything with some range, and run in to arms length just to get whooped like the previous 20 guys. Maybe one in 10 took a shot, and all these experts missed what should have been an easy kill.
It really seemed like this movies budget all went to the fight choreographer, and none to the writers.
Also the fight seen went on and on and on and on. It was wayyyy too long, and (even tho the fighting was well done), it got boring. That's when I clicked it off.
</rant>

I was also disappointed when I checked and found that Nick Cage wasn't even the lead. That makes me think this is yet another Hollywood bait-and-switch movie, with Cage added so he gets a paycheck and they get a name on the advertisements, but he's not really the star. It would be interesting to find out what Cage's screen time was.
PS: I like a lot of Cages work, but it looks like this isn't a good example.

Old 12-02-2020, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
I like a lot of Cages work, but it looks like this isn't a good example.
I don't buy the common line that Cage is a bad actor. He is not. But he has spent the past 25+ years saying, "Yes" to a lot of movies where he should have said, "A thousand times no!"

And lately it seems as if he has just embraced that and is now making a career out of parodying himself. He and William Shatner should really do a movie together --- or better yet: a TV show! Something with spies and rogue cops and kung fu and Elvis impersonators.

Old 12-02-2020, 07:49 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,001,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I don't buy the common line that Cage is a bad actor. He is not. But he has spent the past 25+ years saying, "Yes" to a lot of movies where he should have said, "A thousand times no!"
Including Face Off. One of the dumbest I've ever seen. I've never even heard of Jiu Jitsu. But then again, Nick Cage is no longer on my radar....

--

Old 12-03-2020, 08:42 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,830,701 times
Quote:

And lately it seems as if he has just embraced that and is now making a career out of parodying himself. He and William Shatner should really do a movie together --- or better yet: a TV show! Something with spies and rogue cops and kung fu and Elvis impersonators.
EXACTLY right. He did some excellent movies: Gone In Sixty Seconds, National Treasures 1 AND 2 (a sequel just as good as the first - rare!), Next, but none in the last 10 years stand out (except as bad).

Old 12-03-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
EXACTLY right. He did some excellent movies: Gone In Sixty Seconds, National Treasures 1 AND 2 (a sequel just as good as the first - rare!), Next, but none in the last 10 years stand out (except as bad).
The last Cage movie I saw that I actually liked was probably MATCHSTICK MEN, which was good and Cage was good in it.

I still say BIRDY is his best movie --- but I have never met anyone who has even heard of it, much less seen it.

Old 12-03-2020, 10:53 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,001,152 times
Quote:
The Cage remake of Gone in Sixty Seconds was an awful, awful movie. And I really wanted to like it.

Quote:
The last Cage movie I saw that I actually liked was probably MATCHSTICK MEN, which was good and Cage was good in it.

I still say BIRDY is his best movie --- but I have never met anyone who has even heard of it, much less seen it.
Matchstick Men was a very good movie. And I LOVED Birdy. I saw that movie when it came to the video store I worked at in the mid 80s. Cage and Modine. Excellent. Look at that, Mark S. We agree again!

--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies