Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2021, 05:29 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times

Advertisements

Every so often there is a line from a movie review that's so great that I want to share it.

This was from Anthony Lane's review of Tenet. I really disliked the movie, so enjoyed the review all the more.

Word has it that Christopher Nolan’s new film, “Tenet,” is hard to understand. Not so. It’s a cinch—no more difficult than, say, playing mah-jongg inside a tumble dryer, while the principles of quantum mechanics are shouted at you in fluent Esperanto.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...oid-of-feeling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2021, 12:26 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Every so often there is a line from a movie review that's so great that I want to share it.

This was from Anthony Lane's review of Tenet. I really disliked the movie, so enjoyed the review all the more.

Word has it that Christopher Nolan’s new film, “Tenet,” is hard to understand. Not so. It’s a cinch—no more difficult than, say, playing mah-jongg inside a tumble dryer, while the principles of quantum mechanics are shouted at you in fluent Esperanto.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...oid-of-feeling
That is a great line!

Food for thought though - my eighteen year old granddaughter loved that movie. She said it wasn't hard at all to understand. Said to someone who couldn't follow a straight line, that's hard for me to believe but ok!

Old 03-11-2021, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That is a great line!

Food for thought though - my eighteen year old granddaughter loved that movie. She said it wasn't hard at all to understand. Said to someone who couldn't follow a straight line, that's hard for me to believe but ok!
That's interesting, but very odd. Because that was not a movie with straight lines! And if I remember, there were problems with characters not being identified well, and a mash-up of sound that wasn't as clear as it should be.

Old 03-11-2021, 05:15 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
That's interesting, but very odd. Because that was not a movie with straight lines! And if I remember, there were problems with characters not being identified well, and a mash-up of sound that wasn't as clear as it should be.
Right and this granddaughter is not a logical thinker at all - but I am, and maybe that's why she understood it but I couldn't even grasp the TRAILER LOL. I just thought "No way - that movie is too smart for me."

I've seen a few like that before - one of them by the same director in fact. UGH!!!! I don't like to work that hard to understand a movie.

Old 03-12-2021, 09:11 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,240,283 times
Made me snicker out loud.

I haven't seen it, but I keep hearing about it.

Old 03-18-2021, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right and this granddaughter is not a logical thinker at all - but I am, and maybe that's why she understood it but I couldn't even grasp the TRAILER LOL. I just thought "No way - that movie is too smart for me."

I've seen a few like that before - one of them by the same director in fact. UGH!!!! I don't like to work that hard to understand a movie.
You know, I wonder what she would have said if you secretly got yourself a detailed summary of the movie, and then started questioning her to see if she truly understood what was happening, or was just getting a vague idea while enjoying the visuals.

I do not think the movie was too smart for you. However, it might be too smart for it's own good.

Old 03-19-2021, 07:56 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
They still tried to spoon feed you plot, like a marvel comic book movie lol.

_

Old 05-11-2021, 05:59 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Nolan is not a bad film-maker. But over-rated? Yes. Definitely over-rated.

Old 05-25-2021, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
They still tried to spoon feed you plot, like a marvel comic book movie lol.

_
Not sure I agree with you. The plot for some of these is muddled and illogical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies