Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2021, 07:17 PM

551 posts, read 343,805 times

Advertisements

Is there a movie/movie's that you would like better if there was a different lead actor/actress or supporting actor/actress?

There's a few that come to mind:

Wall Street - Darrell Hannah, (ugh!) She plays an interior decorator in Manhattan. Just can't stand her in this role. She looks/acts more like she would work in a surf shop on the beach, comes across so groovy, should wear beads, have a smoke before going surfing.
Everything about her character as an interior decorator in Manhattan doesn't fit at all. This role would need someone to at least act sharp and together. Her role she comes across so airy and dreamy, couldn't see her in the same social circles as Gordon Gecko !

Would have rather seen either Marissa Tomei, Sharon Stone or Kim Bassinger in this role.

Ok now the other two movies, it's Jennifer Grey (ugh!)

Dirty Dancing - Thought Jennifer Grey was wrong - by a lot - as the lead with Patrick Swayze. Love the movie because of him, however, it's difficult to watch because of her. Too inexperienced of an actress to have a lead role. The part that did work was that size wise she was small so that worked out well for the dancing and lift scene.

Ferris Bueller - Great movie ! Again, Jennifer Grey was in a supporting role, It seems she way over acted her part. The scenes that she did have were short scenes, way too dramatic for the role she played and the lines she had.

Officer and a Gentlemen - Remember seeing this in the theater, everyone loved this movie. When I watch this movie now with Richard Gere and Debra Winger in the lead roles, something just doesn't quite work. I did read that they couldn't stand each other and would argue when making this movie, so maybe that's it. They didn't like each other in real life and that energy came through on screen.
Maybe it would have been better to just have two different actors in the lead roles for this movie.

The Firm - Tom Cruise and Jeanne Tripplehorn - It seemed like there wasn't any chemistry between these two. I'm not sure if it was just this role she was in but she just seemed blah !

What movie/movie's would you like better with a different actor/actress ?

Last edited by bellamax2; 05-02-2021 at 08:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2021, 05:47 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamax2 View Post
GODFATHER III obviously. Sofia Coppola has turned into a great director, but her acting in that movie is some of the worst of all time. And while we're on the Coppola's ...

F.F. Coppola's version of DRACULA was a mess. Keanu Reeves never should have been in that movie, and even Winona Ryder, whom I usually love, was out of place.

Speaking of Keanu, I have always wanted to see Pee Wee Herman as Neo in THE MATRIX. I might have actually liked that movie had they done that.

Old 05-03-2021, 06:36 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,675,948 times
I like Arnold and have been watching his films again recently, but I think Total Recall would have been better with someone like Keanu Reeves or Tom Cruise.

Old 05-03-2021, 07:30 PM

19,696 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

Speaking of Keanu, I have always wanted to see Pee Wee Herman as Neo in THE MATRIX. I might have actually liked that movie had they done that.
I'd totally be interested in watching that, lol

Old 05-03-2021, 09:48 PM

1,936 posts, read 700,911 times
Good topic!

I like Harrison Ford but thought he was miscast in Regarding Henry. Siskel and Ebert said he didn't play
an evolving character but rather, two different characters. I agree. I think Daniel Day Lewis could have pulled
off that part well. Maybe because he was so good as Christy Brown in My Left Foot. He'd be
convincing as an arrogant lawyer who later suffers a brain injury.

I didn't think Sandra Bullock was quite right for The Blind Side (even though she won an Oscar). She just looked like she was "acting" throughout the movie. Sissy Spacek would have been good in that role because she can play southern, compassionate, maternal. She wasn't the right age.

Okay, I'm an ABBA fan. I just think they should have cast professional singers for Mamma Mia and not Meryl Streep (who thinks she's an awesome singer).

Old 05-04-2021, 06:43 AM

20,620 posts, read 4,409,428 times
Catwoman (2004) - No matter how good, or great Halle Berry looked in the costume, and she looked good in it. She was the wrong actress.

Michelle Pfeiffer should have been lead in the movie. She was purrfect in Batman Returns (1992).

Old 05-04-2021, 01:42 PM

512 posts, read 320,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post
Catwoman (2004) - No matter how good, or great Halle Berry looked in the costume, and she looked good in it. She was the wrong actress.

Michelle Pfeiffer should have been lead in the movie. She was purrfect in Batman Returns (1992).
As meh as Berry was in that atrocity called Catwoman, the reality is that Halle's performance is the least of its problems. Yes, I would have loved to see Pfeiffer in a Catwoman solo film, but in a whole different film, with another director, and of course, playing Selina Kyle, not Providence, or Constance or whatever Berry's name was in that film.

Old 05-04-2021, 07:10 PM

9,110 posts, read 6,155,520 times
The musical "Cats" was really very bad. Maybe they should have scoured the alleys for real cats. Might have improved the movie.

Old 05-05-2021, 04:40 AM

20,620 posts, read 4,409,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramasfella View Post
As meh as Berry was in that atrocity called Catwoman, the reality is that Halle's performance is the least of its problems. Yes, I would have loved to see Pfeiffer in a Catwoman solo film, but in a whole different film, with another director, and of course, playing Selina Kyle, not Providence, or Constance or whatever Berry's name was in that film.
Of course it would have been a "whole different film". They kinda wrote this Catwoman around Berry's, you know acting "abilities".

Old 05-07-2021, 02:27 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,636,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamax2 View Post
Is there a movie/movie's that you would like better if there was a different lead actor/actress or supporting actor/actress?

There's a few that come to mind:

Wall Street - Darrell Hannah, (ugh!) She plays an interior decorator in Manhattan. Just can't stand her in this role. She looks/acts more like she would work in a surf shop on the beach, comes across so groovy, should wear beads, have a smoke before going surfing.
Everything about her character as an interior decorator in Manhattan doesn't fit at all. This role would need someone to at least act sharp and together. Her role she comes across so airy and dreamy, couldn't see her in the same social circles as Gordon Gecko !

The Firm - Tom Cruise and Jeanne Tripplehorn - It seemed like there wasn't any chemistry between these two. I'm not sure if it was just this role she was in but she just seemed blah !

I agree. Jeanne Tripplehorn seemed a little too old for the part. She looked more like Tom Cruise's aunt than wife. She was supposed to be young, head-turning beauty.

Daryl Hannah really brought down Wall Street in every scene she appeared. I don't even see why Buddy was so attracted to her let alone Gordon Gecko.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies