Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2023, 06:40 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times

Advertisements

Oh yea, another Denzel booty kicking movie that looks great, a must see for sure.

And Dakota Fanning is in it, both were incredible together in "Man on Fire."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8017N57FA1Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2023, 03:09 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
The original Man on Fire in fact was set in Italy too. And yes Dakota Fanning has certainly grown.

Old 05-05-2023, 04:10 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Now, I'm gonna put on the first two again! Thanks, buddy

Old 05-06-2023, 01:09 PM

8,311 posts, read 13,444,568 times
He looked a tad too old for this character but still, I loved the first one.
Second one, not so much.

Old 09-04-2023, 05:54 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
He looked a tad too old for this character but still, I loved the first one.
Second one, not so much.
This time around there is less old man action and more of monster in black coming out of the darkness to complete the mission.

While more gory than I remember the first two instalments coming out I feel better about it than I remember the earlier reactions.

Old 09-04-2023, 07:53 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
I wish all movies were as well done as all the Equalizers!

ANNA is now available on HBO - finally, btw. Seen it 3 xs, had to buy the DVD!

Old 09-04-2023, 09:44 PM

735 posts, read 1,170,584 times
I saw it this past Friday at the theater. It was funny, violent, bloody, gory and oh so so so good.

You don't want to be equalized by Robert McCall.

Old 09-04-2023, 10:41 PM

6,793 posts, read 4,236,377 times
It's a fundamentally stupid movie, but entertaining enough. And short enough that you may get through it without thinking about the absurdity of it all. It's competently made and the acting is fine as you would expect given the cast, but it really lacks in any depth or anything that would make you think. Even in the sub-genre of vigilante action it stands out as rather childish primarily because the hero is omnipotent and ultimately without any real personal motivation (helping a stranger recoup lost savings as some sort of general favor is the kind of plot that sounds straight up lifted from a 1980s A-Team or Knight Rider episode but of course there's a reason those were 40 minute TV episodes not feature films).

But the biggest weakness is that it's like a reverse Michael Myers with the victims not teenagers but criminals. It doesn't really work on an emotional level because a hero's tale requires adversity. Laurie Strode is the one facing overwhelming odds in a completely terrifying struggle against a near unstoppable force determined to butcher her. In this case we're supposed to be rooting for the near unstoppable force that easily butchers (and that's the correct word) countless enemies while barely breaking a sweat.

We don't feel sympathy for the victims of McCall as they're pond scum criminals, but the movie also doesn't really expend a lot of effort to make you truly hate them. The villains remain bland and replaceable and the people McCall helps are also just background scenery or plot devices. Dakota Fanning's character brings little to the table as her involvement is a barely developed side plot which seems to primarily serve the purpose of adding 15-20 minutes to the TV show episode plot.

One of the fundamental issues of the Equalizer franchise though which make it inferior to other such movies is that even the titular main character himself is barely developed and it speaks volumes that the movie treats any expression of emotion on his part as absolute highlight moments. The parallel to Halloween works here, too. In the end credits of Halloween Michael Myers is referred to as "the shape" because he is ultimately kind of a void and not a person. Robert McCall also remains somewhat of a 'void'. Even the usual Hollywood technique of spicing up heroes in such movies with clever one liners and self-awareness is used quite sparingly here. Denzel brings some charisma to the role, but the script isn't doing much with it as McCall remains ultimately somewhat of a joyless killing machine.

The movie is about as emotionally satisfying as completing an action video game with familiar game mechanics on "Novice" difficulty i.e. if you like the genre and appreciate what the genre brings (in this case ultra-violence) then you'll be entertained, but it will still be quickly forgotten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies